15.09.2014 01:29

Advantages

• "good for toothache"

Disadvantages

• "smells unpleasant"
      • "fewer uses than other oils"

Not my favourite smell, but people swear by it for toothaches!

I've recently dug out some essential oils I have had lying around for a while and the Health Aid clove oil was one of them. I have tried to find uses for them and had no issue with for example peppermint and citronella oil as I turned them into lovely smelling scrubs and soaks but I was a bit at a loss about the clove oil.
      I know that people swear by this for toothaches, but I am lucky enough to never have to deal with that and let's hope I won't as the oil smells unpleasant and I'm sure tastes even worse. But should you ever suffer from toothache then this is a great natural remedy. As it is 100% essential oil you know exactly what you are dealing with and putting on your body/in your mouth!

Whilst doing some research to find uses for this is discovered clove oil is antimicrobial, antifungal, antiseptic, antiviral and apparently also an aphrodisiac. It can be used to treat acne and athlete's foot. The latter is the one reason why I'm keep the oil in my stash and haven't disposed of it. I occasionally suffer from athlete's foot, maybe once every 2 years and having to buy a cream especially every time is a waste of money I find. Essential oils keep a long time as they are 100% natural so next time I suffer from athlete's foot I'm definitely trying it.

A 10ml bottle of this will set you back around £4-5 but you can find this cheaper online as I found with so many of these oils. Some are worth buying bigger quantities of and you'll save even more. But the Health Aid one is available in pharmacies and drug stores and the quality is great. So if you want to give this stuff ago I would recommend it, but I personally don't like the smell.

15.09.2014 00:57

Advantages

• "minimises pores"
      • mattifies
      • "feels amazing"

Disadvantages

• "expensive and no different to cheaper primers"
      • "effects don't last"

No better than cheaper primers!

Benefit The Porefessional is designed to quickly minimise the appearance of pores and fine lines for smoother than smooth skin. It's priced at £24.50 for a 22ml tube .

My thoughts
      I do like the look of the packaging, it's quite funky as with most of Benefit's products. However, it would be massively improved by having a flip top lid, I just don't understand why any company uses screw top lids on this kind of product when flip tops are so much more convenient for the user!

It's quite a thick textured gel type primer with a silky smooth feeling to it, and I must admit it feels amazing. It's definitely the nicest feeling out of all the primers I've tried. It's so easy to apply because it just glides onto the skin so effortlessly.
      When I've used this it instantly takes the shine away from my skin, and for me that's my number one priority in a primer because I do suffer terribly with an oily t-zone. It's a colourless primer so you don't need to worry about blending, just smooth it on and leave it.

I do think it minimises my pores quite well, it doesn't get rid of them completely but it definitely makes them less noticeable. It also helps my makeup go on smoother and gives a more even finish.
      The main issue I have with this primer, just as with most others, it that the effect just doesn't last long enough. My skin is looking shiny again within a couple of hours, and my pores start to become more noticeable again, which if I'm wearing foundation just creates an awful look when it suddenly starts sinking into my pores.

The other issue I have is that when I've used this as a base, my makeup rubs off too easily, like it's stopping it from adhering to the skin so it just comes off as soon as I touch it.

Recommended?

No, I wouldn't recommend this primer. Not because it's terrible, but simply because it's exactly the same as others that are much less expensive.

• Clarityn Rapide Allergy / Allergy & Hayfever / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      15.09.2014 00:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

Quickly eased my symptoms

Did the trick for me with my Hayfever. After trying these I can honestly say my symptoms eased off just hours after so I was very pleased with my results. Good price too.

15.09.2014 00:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

Summers night MUST!

Was a life saver in summer this fan! I bought this and used it for summer nights to cool my room down, definatly did the job for me. Isn't noisy like alot of fans either so there's no sleep loss...

• Acer Aspire One 751h-52Yb / Netbook / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      15.09.2014 00:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

Definatly recommended!

I was looking for a mini netbook I could take on the move and be able to do what I needed to on the web. I purchased this to try out and it was a nice cute netbook and 100% compatible with my work, perfect and with just a small compliance it holds all the data I need to!!

14.09.2014 23:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

MUST buy straighteners, perfect

I have been buying these hair straighteners for a few years now and can honestly say they are the best straighteners iv ever bought! Plus the cheapest, they last a while and perfectly straighten my hair lasting all day!! A must buy!

• Avon Color Trend Nail Colour / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      14.09.2014 23:45

Advantages

• "Cheap to buy!"

Disadvantages

• "Very runny!"
      • "Too thin!"
      • "Clots badly!"
      • "Streaky when applied!"

Nail vanish woes!

At my age I appreciate good quality product whether it is make up or clothes. I like to feel and look good, without breaking the bank so to speak. I wear false nails daily to try and break the ghastly habit of nail biting. I have been wearing them for almost a year now and if I don't wear them I feel undressed!

~The packaging~

Comes in metallic silver rectangle box with the Avon logo clearly seen and it tells us that it is the 'Color Trend' version of their nail colour. I purchased two polishes from this range as they were on offer for just 99 p in the sale book. The ones I bought are Vixon which is like a cerise pink and natural girl that is a natural colour but to me it is more like a nude colour.

I have a regular Avon Representative who visits my home a couple of times a month, my best mate Deanne always places a order from her too. Deanne purchased the colour trend nail polish but in a different colour, she didn't like it either.

~Verdict~

This has got to be the worst nail varnish I have ever used in my entire life. I started off as always by firstly applying base coat. I then applied the colour it was very runny indeed and took forever to dry. I had to keep applying several layers as it was looking very streaky. Another complaint I have is that the wand is far too thin and sticking to the three stroke rule is just a no go to be honest as applying this is awful. After applying it and it dried taking an hour in actual fact it chipped very badly and I had to remove the whole lot the next day as it looked so ghastly and unsightly.

Deanne and I won't ever entertain our nails with it again. Steer well clear of this product as you will be wasting your money.

• Tesco TDVD212 / DVD Player / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      14.09.2014 23:14

Advantages

• "plays a selection of dvds and cds"
      • "looks nice"

Disadvantages

• "sounds like a tank running over a gravel track"
      • "had a mind of its own"
      • "Didn't last long"

A DVD player that should have stayed in the box ....

We all have a DVD player of some kind, either built in to the television itself or plugged up to a television via what is called a SCART socket. And there are many many of these DVD players out there, some that cost more than factory workers weekly wage, with others being more affordable.
      And this one is in the cheaper range of player. This one is about the same size as other players, being about 230mmm wide, 210mm deep and no more than 50mmm deep, weighing in at just over a kilo.
      On the front there is the DVD slot, which the tray comes out of, this is on the left as you look at it. On the right there's three buttons, open, play/pause and power, with a small screen above it.
      It has one single SCART socket on the rear.
      It supports most DVDs, such as DVD-R/RW+ and -, CD, CD-R/RW, JPEG, MPEG4 and even Xvid.

There are more downsides than upsides. With the main downside being that this is one loud machine, meaning that you have to turn up the volume in order to listen to the hear what's being said. Although if Janet Street Porters on then this groaning sound as the disc turns sounds better then her....

Another of the downsides is that, after a few months of using this, it seemed to grow a mind of its own, turning itself off during a DVD, which spoils the viewing. Then there's the fact that this would somehow jump through sections of a DVD, both backwards and forwards, which is another way that spoils viewing.

As I said, this is in the cheaper bin of players and has nothing special in it, so there's no built in freeview or ability to play your blu-ray DVDs in it expecting the same quality.
      Although it does come with a remote control that is like any other controls, the usual button and is easy to understand. This remote runs off 2AAA batteries and once in, they last almost a lifetime.

The price of this player is about ten quid... I told you it is in the cheaper pile.

To be blunt I found this player to be too noisy and disrupt my DVD viewing pleasures, and with that it was way over priced...

14.09.2014 22:37

Advantages

• "generally works well"
      • "easy to clean"
      • "looks fab"

Disadvantages

• "sometimes the lever doesn't stay down"
      • "small loaves can get stuck"
      • "not all bread fits"

Good for the price

The BHS Essentials 2 slice toaster is available in a wide range of colour options, but the options available do change and I'm not sure the emerald green one is available any more. It's priced at £19.99.

My thoughts
      I love the look of this toaster, I think it looks a lot more expensive than it actually is, and the look of it definitely rivals the more expensive brands like Russell Hobbs and Morphy Richards. It's just the front and back panels that are coloured, the rest of it is silver metal or black plastic. The emerald green is a really nice rich metallic shade which fits in well with my kitchen.

It's very easy to use, simply pop in your bread, turn the dial depending on how dark you like your toast, and pull down the lever. Sometimes I do find I have to press the lever down a few times before it stays down, but I'm not sure if this is an issue with all of these toasters or just a fault with mine!
      It has 7 options for how dark to make your toast, and it has a separate setting for toasting bagels which is good if you don't like both sides of your bagel toasted. There's also a defrost setting, but I've never had need to use this.

I find this toasts my bread quite evenly but often one side comes out a fair bit darker than the other. If I'm using a smaller loaf the bread can catch on the top of the inside of the toaster when it pops back up, and gets a bit squashed and sometimes can get a bit stuck as well. Also some of the large loaves such as Warburtons don't quite fit in properly so there's a bit at the top of the bread that doesn't get toasted. Saying all that though, it does work well the vast majority of the time!
      Cleaning it is really easy, there's a crumb tray at the bottom that pulls out for cleaning, and the rest just needs wiped down with a damp cloth. I've had mine over 2 years now and I've never had any real issues with it, it still works fine and does what a toaster's supposed to do.

Recommended?
      Yes, I would recommend this if you're on a budget and want a stylish option. However, if money isn't an object, I'd go for a more expensive brand which might not have the niggly problems that this one does.

14.09.2014 20:50

Advantages

• "good car parking"
      • "close to town"
      • cheap

Disadvantages

• "unattractive location"
      • "poor lighting"
      • worn
      • tired

Budget, tired, hotel worth it for the odd night out.

The reception area and restaurant are in a small standalone building apart from the hotel block itself, alongside the carpark which is a good size given the number of rooms.

Check in is from 4pm, I was able to check in early, but there were cleaners still working on rooms in the other half of the block. My observation from the rest of the weekend was that this is pretty typical, as long as the room is cleaned they're happy to check people in as they arrive.

The rooms keys are thick plastic cards more substantial than the electronic credit card style cards alot of hotels use and I found that it fit in my wallet.

I booked a double room, the beds are twins which can be pushed together to form a double. The mattress was a little harder than I like but comforatble enough. The quilt was fairly light weight but warm. There were two pillows, a third in the wardrobe. On either side of the bed were small bedside tables, big enough for essentials.

There's a small heater on one wall.

The bathroom is the bed, it contains an over bath shower, sink, toilet. There is a long mirror, with a wide shelf, and a towel shelf on the wall. There was just one towel on it.

The overall decor of the room is tired, the carpet felt thin, worn and freying at the edges. The bathroom tiles had a patina effect on all the tiles, unfortunely this made the bathroom look dirty.

The bath again looked old but was clean, the taps and shower head were clean and well polished.

In the bedroom theres a flatscreen tv, a small kettle with standard brew kit. Sadly again this showed its age.

Theres only one double plug socket in the rooms - the one the TV is plugged in to, so for most this would be a problem.

The wifi was easy to connect to and was actually pretty speedy.

The lighting in the rooms is quite poor, two reading lights and an uplighter, but no other lights, as the 'main' light was diagonally across from the door left the corner where the bathroom was in darkness. In the bathroom there were two lights either side of the mirror, giving plenty of light to do make up and wash by.

The ground floor has rooms which are suitable for the disabled with wet rooms not bathrooms.

Due to the low cost of the hotel it is a popular place with people on nights out.

Due to the walkways and stairwell being painted concrete with some fuzzy green fabric on it there were plenty of eye level signs warning that in wet weather it was likely to be more slippery than normal.

The standard room rate for a walk up is £44 per night, but I would highly recommend booking in advance as deals can be found.

Meals are available in the restaurant.

14.09.2014 19:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

Playboy Play It Lovely Eau de Toilette

The Playboy Play It Lovely Eau de Toilette is available for GBP 9.95. The scent is available as 30 ml and 50 ml Eau de Toilette and 150 ml body spray.

The Eau de Toilette was launched in 2010.

The Eau de Toilette comes in a round flacon with a black cap. The flacon contains 50 ml.

The Eau de Toilette is described as follows. "Play It Lovely evokes a sweet and playful innocence that is guaranteed to enchant. Wear it when you want to create a naturally beautifully look. This honeyed fragrance has top notes of blackberry and juicy pear with a heart of cherry baby orchid and faultlessly finished with a base of amber and patchouli. Each of the three new Playboy fragrances represents 3 different stages of a women’s seduction. Play It Lovely lures with wonderful, innocent notes that emphasize the beauty of every women."

The top notes are citrus, blackberries and juicy peaches. Sharry Baby orchid, Belle de Nuit and tuberose form the middle note. Followed by the base notes amber, patchouli and tonka.

The Eau de Toilette is fresh with a flowery scent. A fresh citrus scent and the scent of blackberries can be noticed. After that a light, flowery scent that reminds of orchid and tuberose can be noticed. Followed by an intensive tonka bean scent. The main accords are fruity and sweet. The Eau de Toilette is not too intensive, as the intensity is soft.

The Eau de Toilette is not long-lasting. The scent holds for around 4 hours.

I cannot recommend the Playboy Play It Lovely Eau de Toilette, as the longevity is poor and the scent is not too intensive. The main notes are fruity and sweet.

• Haribo Tangfastics / Sweets / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      14.09.2014 18:49

Advantages

• "Best sweets ever"

Disadvantages

• "A small chance they may be a bit unhealthy"

Fantastic fizzy fun

A sweet tooth

Although I do have a bit of a sweet tooth, I am more of a savoury fan and I am not a big sweet eater overall. However, when it comes to these fizzy wonders I am a total pushover! If I could live on just these, and crisps and sips, I would be a very happy girl.
      These sweets come in a big 160g bag and are widely available. They cost about gbp1.30-gbp1.50, but I only ever buy them when they are on offer. And recently my evil local corner shop was selling these for 69p per pack!

You can also buy little party bag sized packs of teeny little Tangfastics but I have no interest in these miniature imposters.

What's in the pack?

Inside the lovely orange bag are an array of brightly coloured chewy jelly sweets, with a fizzy, sugary coating that has a good sour hit to it. There are a few different varieties inside
      The famous cola bottle - tastes just like you remember cola bottles tasting back in the good old days, but with a super-sour fizzy twist!
      Cherries - these sweets are shaped like a pair of cherries on a stalk, and have a lovely strong cherry flavour
      Jelly dinosaurs - these come in a range of colours and flavours, and have a sort of spongy white back to them - and are my least favourite Tangfastic sweet. Although naturally I will still scoff them under duress.

Are they nice?

These sweets are seriously delightful. If you imagine sucking on a lemon and the face you might make, these sweets, with their sour sugary coating, have much the same effect. All the sweets have different and distinctive flavours and they are pretty moreish too.
      Normally if I was reviewing a product like this, I would give the calories, sugars, etc. However I really think with these sweets it is best not to even look at what's inside. They are obviously very bad for you and have no redeeming features whatsoever when it comes to nutrition. But, hey, they are sweets and these ones are particularly nice! So as long as you eat these in moderation and don't fill little kids up with them, then I see no harm in the odd indulgence. They make me happy which is the main thing!

The verdict

I love these fizzy sweets, and I would happily eat them forever. However they are probably not very good for me so I do try and eat in moderation :-)

In summary: Delicious!

14.09.2014 18:40

Advantages

• " good music"
      • "Well acted"
      • " with good extras"
      • "A good blu-ray"
      • "A film with good ideas"

Disadvantages

• "The film is a bit silly"

A serial killer movie that almost works

A review of Arrow’s blu-ray release, currently £16 on amazon.

White of the Eye (1987) is an early example of the serial killer thrillers that became huge with Silence of the Lambs. There is a series of gruesome murders in Arizona. The police home in on a suspect – hi-fi engineer Paul White. But Paul is a family man who protests his innocence. And why is his wife’s scuzzy old boyfriend suddenly back on the scene?

The film features a lot of serial killer movie tropes that later become silly. Paul’s likable enough that you’ll hope he’s innocent, but we’re allowed enough doubts about him to be kept guessing. David Keith is very good in the role, managing to keep it real through some unlikely plot twists.

Cathy Moriarty plays Paul’s wife Joan. She’s good for the most part, but has one scene of overwrought emotion in the middle of the film that just screams ‘method actor’. Her ex-boyfriend Mike is also played well, firstly annoying then unsettling. There are lots of flashbacks about how Mike lost Joan to Paul; at first it’s not clear why we’re being shown all this, but it comes good at the end.

The unusual Arizona locations are used well. Rapid editing and camera movements subtly disorient the audience. The murder scenes are fairly tactful, apart from one, which is among the nastiest I’ve seen and must account for the 18 rating.

On the debit side, there’s a big revelation that should leave the audience gasping, but which is fumbled. And the ending can only be described as ‘really silly’.

The music is co-written by Pink Floyd’s Nick Mason. A lot of it sounds like the quietly discordant bits you might find at the start of a 20-minute song about Roger Waters’ tax returns, so if you’re a Floyd fan you might enjoy that.

This looks pretty good in HD, although as ever with 1980s film, it’s not overwhelmingly impressive. There’s a lot of good detail visible, and the colours look vivid. There’s a DVD as well, which I didn’t watch but briefly checked - the picture quality is as good as it can on a DVD, I guess.

The main extra is a long documentary about the film’s director, Donald Cammell, that was originally shown on the BBC. It’s very good. Although Cammell didn’t make enough films to be more than a marginal figure, he’s interesting enough to devote 80 minutes of your life to. The other important extra is a short film, a ten minute thing called The Argument. In it, a man and a naked woman in a desert argue. It’s part of a film Cammell tried to make in the early 70s. It’s like a cross between El Topo and Lucifer Rising, but sadly it isn’t nearly as interesting as that sounds.

Once again, Arrow has produced an impressive blu-ray of a film that doesn’t quite deserve the amount of love and care being lavished on it.

• Choke (DVD) / DVD / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      14.09.2014 18:37

Advantages

• "Certificate – R18"
      • "Run Time – 92 minutes"
      • "Genre – Black Comedy"
      • "Star – Sam Rockwell"
      • 234votes)
      • "Imdb.com – 6.5/10.0 (26"

Disadvantages

• Missfire

Hard to swallow?

So, we all remember Fight Club, David Fincher's excellent examination of alpha male versus metrosexual man, only one clear winner as far as getting beautiful women goes. Yes, Helena Bonham - Carter did equal co star Brad Pitt for facial body hair but an iconic movie all the same from the writing cannon of gay writer Chuck Palahniuk. Chuck’s success with that one saw his other book, ‘Choke’, get snapped up and made into a movie, little known director Clark Gregg behind the camera this time around. Its similar Palahniuk themes of male masculinity and sexual dominance but a very different interpretation of the writer’s style.

===Plot===

Sex addict and general slacker Victor Mancini (Sam Rockwell) has given up his studies to help pay for his mom’s private healthcare, adding in a few scams on the way to meet the $20,000 annual bill, including faking choking incidents in restaurants. Mom Ida (Anjelica Huston) has a rare form of dementia and not able to recognize Victor and so Victor acting out different roles when he visits her to try and drag back just one memory of him so in that moment of clarity he can say goodbye to the mum he adored. Victor was adopted at a young age but his rather eccentric mother always taking timeout from her crazy life to covertly visit her son between foster moms and cause general mayhem, like releasing all the animals from the zoo at night. But when Ida declares Victor is not the name of her son he can’t work out if she is his real mom anymore and a victim of her chaotic lifestyle.

Victor works in a reenactment theme park of ‘early frontier America’ with his best friend Denny (Brad William Henke), also in therapy for his sexual addictions, the two japesters in constant conflict with their boss (Clark Gregg) for not staying in character, not cleaning their muskets or sleeping with the staff, Ursula the milkmaid (Bijou Phillips) the next target.

Victor is a familiar face at the mental hospital, with staff and patients, sleeping his way through most of the females and having the hot’s for pretty doctor Paige Marshall (Kelly Macdonald), who sympathizes with his plight over not knowing whether his mother is actually his mother and comes up with some interesting therapies to find out, also involving taking clothes off. If they can’t find a method of extracting memories of her son she will soon be moving up to level 2 in the hospital, which few patients return from, mentally or physically.

Victor: You want me to f**k you in a church to save your mums brain?’

===Results===

It’s no Fight Club, that’s for sure, some interesting ideas but the film weekly cast and put together. It’s certainly an ambitious black comedy but with explicit sex and deliberate offensive dialogue it’s very up and down and never really finds its way. That’s not to say its not entertaining viewing though. I quite like Sam Rockwell, an actor who can do comedy as he can do cool, but here, with his co-stars, dragging this film into run of the mill mainstream comedy at times with crass behavior and knob gags. I’m sure the book is far more intelligent than the screenplay.

It’s occasionally funny as it is risqué but few wow moments like the writing of Fight club. This film simply lacks that adult anger and realism of Fight Club. There are some good bits and nice to see Anjelica Houston back on our screens and Rockwell trying the best he can with the rather ambitious ideas but never quite leaves you being impressed with its manipulation of the books ideas on deviant sex. Why is it that having forced sex with a stranger is most women’s number one sex fantasy? I’m sure Rockwell thought it would be another Fight Club hit but fair play to him for sticking with the project. I loved Fight Club because it dared to go to the real reasons of sexual attraction and why women are crying out for modern men to be the dominate sex once again but the nuance of that was lost here. Still it beats most American comedies around these days.

14.09.2014 18:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

Perfect!

Great quality and exactly as described I was very pleased receiving my item. Very strong material and comfortable without ripping and laddering easy so great price for better, result! Highly recommend.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown