• Diet Chef / Discussion / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      02.09.2015 13:43

Advantages

• "Good weight loss"
      • Flexibility
      • "Good for 'on the go'"

Disadvantages

• "Meals can become boring"
      • "Bad customer services"

All in all, a great way to lose weight for someone who is determined

I have been using Diet Chef meals for roughly two months and have lost approximately 15 lbs. There are four of us in the household using Diet Chef which led to our order being cancelled, as they thought we had ordered wrong. This delayed the process as you cannot contact them by phone. They did, however, provide us with a discount for the inconvenience.

You have a choice of the meals you would like to order, however, it is sort of 'suck it and see' with your first delivery. We have a member of cabin crew in the family and she has also been able to order meals that fit in with her hectic lifestyle and also order meals that are easy to make whilst she is flying (pasta pots where you simply add hot water).

The majority of the meals are tasty, however, they are small (obviously...as it is all portion controlled) so you will still need to spend a bit of money on fruit and veg as they recommend you still have your five a day.

The diet is clearly dependant on how well you stick to it. I liked the flexibility you had of having days off (for special occasions or meals out), however, you will then end up with an odd amount of either breakfast/dinner/lunch/snack.

I would recommend the following:

Chocolate Soft Cookie or Fruit and Oat Soft Cookie (breakfast)
      Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup(lunch)
      Sweet and Sour Chicken and Chicken Korma (dinner)
      Paprika and Soya Potato Snacks (snack)

• meandem.com / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      02.09.2015 12:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great Clothes For Power Dressing!

MeandEm.com is an online shop selling a unique collection of women's clothing. They specifically focus on providing pieces that are designed with strong lines or cuts with high quality and durable fabrics. They describe their collection as providing "everyday power dressing". I bought a pair of chinos from here after desperately trying to find a high quality pair to go with some expensive shoes.

The site is quite well designed with a main menu at the top of the page. It is easy to find the categories of clothing. These include dresses, tops, knitwear, jeans, shirts, jackets, essentials and accessories. The website also has sale and outlet categories where the prices are reduced by mega amounts! You can find articles that have literally had hundreds of pounds wiped from the price. There are some real bargains to be had.

The prices on the site vary enormously but you can expect to pay a larger sum for the non sale items. Some of the items on the site are hundreds of pounds but the cheapest items are only around £20 so there is something for all budgets.

One thing I dislike about the firm is that the models they use to show their range are like really skinny catwalk models and I don't think this is truly representative of the general customer. It can make it hard to imagine what the clothes might look like on you.

I bought a pair of chinos which were reduced by a fair amount. I think they were supposed to be £98 but were actually £20. The trouser sizing is done by inside leg measurement and a size chart for measurements of the garments is provided. Top sizes are provided on a scale of S, M, L etc with their largest size being a size 16-18.

Delivery is a bit expensive with this company. They charge £4.95 standard and up to £9.95 for next day delivery. It knocks up the cost considerably. However, my trousers were dispatched quickly and parceled up very well.

I would definitely consider shopping with Me and Em again as I think they provide a selection of clothes that you can't find anywhere else. I would recommend the site to professional women looking for unique work outfits and to women in general who enjoy clothes that give you a sense of power and enjoyment.

02.09.2015 10:55

Advantages

• "Pocket for change"
      • "Space for cards"
      • "Pretty Pattern"
      • "Nice Size"

Disadvantages

• Stiff

Pretty and practical little purse

I have had this wallet for years now. I go through periods of not using it and switching to a different purse but have come back to it many times since first buying it.

Cath Kidston purses and wallets are not cheap. You are paying for the brand and the pattern. This wallet is very good quality though and it has lasted years. It still seems like new (apart from the brown leather attached to the zip has fallen off on mine) and I definitely believe that it was worth the money.

It is square and fairly small and fits in most bags. The pretty floral pattern and the small size makes it look feminine, whilst being very practical.

Inside it has space for cards, a pouch for cash and a little pocket (with a popper) to store change. It does not fit as much as some of the bigger Cath Kidston wallets but it still fits a lot. There are three spaces for cards but each one will fit more than one card. I have found that if I have too much change or too much paper/receipts/cash in the pouch that the wallet can be hard to do up, but this does not happen unless it is really full.

Despite being small it is quite a heavy wallet, especially if it is full. Personally this is not an issue for me as it is pretty and practical it is a small price to pay.

One thing that I have found with this wallet is that it can be quite stiff. Despite being old it still feels like a new wallet when trying to take out my cards. I accidentally bent a card through being too lazy to slide it in one of the stiff card holder parts and instead putting it in with my cash.

Overall this is the perfect wallet. It lasts a long time, it is pretty and it is practical. It is worth the money and I am glad I bought it.

• The Joneses (DVD) / DVD / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      02.09.2015 10:44

Advantages

• "Star – David Duchovny & Demi Moore"

Disadvantages

• "Lost it at the end"

Molder is Foxy but Demi wants more!

A Freedom of Information request recently revealed that 2600 people died within two weeks of having their sickness benefits stopped between 2011 and 2014, at the peak of the Tory welfare cuts. 4000 died within 6 weeks. Many were suffering from anxiety and depression. Its unclear how may were suicides and how many were natural causes. There is, as yet, no control group available. The suicide number was at a ten year high in 2011-12 at 6,300 total deaths. Do the math’s. The government would deny putting pressure on people to work is a way to help them top themselves but you can bet your bottom dollar that was in the calculation, part of their ‘tough choices’ mantra. Life is that sick I’m afraid.

In marketing it’s as cynical as tried and tested methods to get us to buy stuff we really don’t need or desire and can’t really afford are applied in so many ways every minute of the day, some of it subliminal and clever. When you watch ‘How Clean is your House’ on Channel 4 it’s not being commissioned because it’s good telly idea but simply exists to make you buy house cleaning products because you feel guilty your house isn’t spic and span. The muddled people in these shows are often actors or their lifestyles exaggerated and the companies advertising in the commercial breaks often help pay for the shows to be made. The Joneses, a rather clever but flawed black comedy on the same subject, is a film worth watching just to make you think about that stuff.

===Plot===

A seemingly perfect all American family pitch up in an up market neighborhood of Rochester, New York to start a new life. They are soon popular in the local community and integrating nicely at the golf club and local schools etc. Their neighbors, the Symonds, are super impressed with the Joneses and soon trying to keep up with them, the Joneses having all the latest modcons and seemingly the prefect life and keen to sell that lifestyle to the Symonds. But all is not as it seems and the ‘family’ anything but, a covert team of salespeople intending to infiltrate the area to make the locals subliminally buy all the latest new trends and goods.

Handsome dad and rookie Steve Jones (David Duchovny) to the job is really an ex car salesman and the wife Kate (Demi Moore) the head of this particular sales team, their attractive kids Jen (Amber Heard) and Michael (Ben Hollingsworth) faking high school attendees with all the latest tech and fashions to flog. Each has a sales target for the month and expected to improve on that as their trust grows in the local community and the weeks tick by. Steve is doing really well at the county club as he used to be a golf pro and so can pretend the golf kit is making him better. Kate plays the perfect Stepford Wife and the local mum’s following her trends. Jen is stunning and the cool kid in class and Michael getting invited to all the cool parties. Soon the locals begin to look and buy like them.

As sneaky as the Joneses actions are they are still human beings, as are their customers, and so emotions soon coming into it, especially for Steve, who has the hots for Kate. Michael is also hiding a big secret and in a job full of pretence that stuff will eventually bubble to the surface and explode. Is Steve Jones, or his fellow team members, morally cut out for the consequences?

===Results===

Although badly cast and over sentimental in its second half this is worth a watch. Duchovny is so wrong for this role and only here to dilute his Californication type casting that diluted his X-files type casting. To me Duchovny will only ever be Fox Molder. He just doesn’t work in movies.

Derrick Borte, directing his first film, does a smooth, confident job, so that even though the set-up isn't quite plausible you're happy to go along with it. That second act does smooch those disaffected viewers as our cold calling sales people are humanized towards the end. In a way it’s a little bit too cute for the general American public and an audience not prepared to confront the idea they are not in control of the American Dream. We are simply consumers and nothing else, is the films message. The film industry, of course, is also selling a dream with subversive product placement going on in many ways here.

The critics and film festivals were mixed on it and managed just one nomination, that of the French-American Deauville Film Festival in the Best Director category. I think the critics flinched because there are two different films here, the clever satire in part one and then the mushy mainstream drama in part two. Another director and another cast could have turned this into a very sharp and clever satire. By casting Duchovny and Demi Moore they just lost their confidence at the last chasing the bigger audience though the big star syndrome. Bu this is no Truman Show and the $10 million budget scraped only $7 million back.

I enjoyed it though and its early boxset feel sets up an interesting idea around solid writing and early narrative. It would have been great if Borte held his nerve and cast a more serious actor in the lead and really got stuck into America’s vacuous consumerism. I don’t know if this film is based on any fact but you can bet your life if someone has seen it in the advertising business they will be trying it.

02.09.2015 10:38

Advantages

• "Lots of patters"
      • "Nice Size"
      • Pretty

Disadvantages

• "Prone to breakages"

Lovely big mugs but mine have cracked easily.

I love Cath Kidston and I love the various patterns that you can get on the mugs. They change the patterns available regularly. The stars crush mug is fun and bright. Personally I think this pattern is different from other Cath Kidston patterns and you would not instantly recognise it as Cath Kidston.

The mugs are large. I find them the perfect size for hot drinks. They are fine and also easy to hold. I always find that hot drinks taste nicer in them than in some of my other mugs.

While these mugs are perfect while they last, unfortunately they seem prone to breaking. I have now had three mugs in various patterns break. After a while they get very big cracks to the extent where they can no longer be used. One had a crack all around the handle which would eventually fall off, another split the whole way down and the third had a crack around the bottom of the mug. Half of the bottom of the mug eventually fell off.

I am now on my fourth Cath Kidston mug and if this one breaks I will not be getting another. I have mugs which have lasted much much longer than these. I want to think that I have just been unlucky because I love these so much. Perhaps it could be down to overuse, although I would like to think that they would last with continued use.

I expect Cath Kidston products to be of a high quality, especially considering the price, however these mugs are disappointing. They are very nice to look at and very nice to drink from they just do not last as long as other mugs from my experience.

Being a hoarder I have found a use for these mugs as pretty storage.

• Gucci G Line YA109525 / Watch / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      02.09.2015 07:07

Advantages

• Long-lasting

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A lovely, stylish watch

I am not a big fan of fancy or fussy jewellery; I much prefer to wear simple, stylish and classical items such as my Gucci watch which I received as a birthday present several years ago. It was a great choice as I had been eyeing it up for close to five years!

Gucci watches are certainly not cheap in style or in price, meaning that I always seem to encounter a luxurious, feel-good factor whenever I wear this bangle-style watch. My watch is the silver (stainless steel) version, with a mother of pearl face. There are other options available, including a gold version, and then the face could also be pink or black. ie there are three options for the watch face.

I love that this watch strap as such is non-existent. Instead the band is a bangle. Along with the pretty face (the timepiece’s, not mine haha), this watch feels dressy and glamorous. Nowadays I am a stay at home parent. As much as I would like to, I do not feel quite brave enough to wear this watch around the house and instead save it for a couple of times a week outside the house.

That said, the easy clasp mechanism has never failed on me and the glass-covering of the face remains scratch-free despite several years of ownership. I do take it to a local shop to have the battery changed.

Finally, this watch is a good timekeeper that is easy to read and it hasn’t lost or gained any minutes over the years that I have owned it.

Recommended. NB Ensure you buy from a reputable seller.

• Carpet Right / Highstreet Shopping / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      02.09.2015 01:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Liars that are just after money"

Don't buy from these people unless you want to be ripped off.

Went in to buy some carpet during their sale. The creep in the Teddington branch was a greedy, condescending liar. He lied about one range that was 50% off. He did not even put up the sale sign on it. Another branch had the sales info up. When I told him this line of carpet was on sale he said no it's not. You are wrong. I then called the other branch that confirmed it was on sale so he goes oh I will check. Then he goes. Oh it is on sale. What a complete wanker!!!!!!! I would swear if I could then he goes. Come on get your credit card out. Come on buy the carpet. Disgusting. I obviously walked out. I will never ever buy from that branch and hopefully never ever!!!! He also tried to insist I needed an extra 4sqm but I did not!!!!

01.09.2015 22:59

Advantages

• "Great Colours"

Disadvantages

• "Not Amazing"

Not the best but good for the price. And its pink.

For me, oral hygiene is very important as my teeth are part of my looks - and after 2 years of lovely (not) train track braces, I am determined to look after them! However, I do admit that I can be a bit lazy, so anything that makes this easier is a bonus. My dentist recommended that I buy an electric toothbrush and I bought another, rather more expensive, one from a different brand. However, I felt that the pulses were too strong and I couldn't get used to the tickly feeling in my mouth. In the end (after I chipped a tooth using it) I gave up and went back to a manual toothbrush. It wasn't until recently when I got a bad report from my dentist (I felt like I was at school again) that I decided to try again with the electric toothbrushes.

This Colgate one is different from my last one for a few reasons. 1) It is far cheaper at only £6 when I got it on a deal in Superdrug, but still only £12 full price. 2) The vibrations aren't as intense and so I found it far more comfortable to use. This means that my fear of chipping another tooth isn't as great and I am more comfortable using it. And a biggy for me is number 3) It comes in Pink. Enough said.

However, when you are paying a fraction of the price of the other electric toothbrushes on the market you have to ask why. Well in this case, I think it is a couple of things. Rather than having a rechargeable base, this needs 2 triple A (AAA) batteries. I quite like this fact as, in my opinion, you are more likely to have batteries handy when on holiday for example than a charger. And its far quicker to chuck in some new batteries than charge it up.

Another reason it is so much cheaper, is the quality. Although it does a really good job of cleaning my teeth (something my dentist has noticed, no detention for me) you have to use it a bit like a manual brush to get into all the cracks. Also, you don't get that amazingly clean feeling when you run your tongue over your teeth like you do with the more expensive ones.

Overall, I do really like this product, and feel it is appropriate for me and my student budget. However, if you are willing to spend more, I would recommend looking into some of the more expensive electric toothbrushes which can offer a better quality experience.

01.09.2015 22:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

Smells great and looks great.

There was a time in my life when I decided that having a quick trim and a colour of my hair was not enough to have an image change, and I decided to do something extreme. I went to the hairdresser and asked for my long, shoulder length hair to be cut to only inches long, into a pixie cut. The hairdresser told me how brave I was, and got on with it without letting me look. When it was all finished it looked amazing, and I really did like it!. But after the initial gorgeousness of the finished hair style, I realised I had not Idea what to do with it once washed!

I popped back into the hair dressers, with my frizzy stuck - up do and asked her what I was supposed to do with it, and she recommended I wax my hair. Having long, wavy hair I had no idea about hair styling products, I always had it down, and natural.

So I popped into boots, and as I was using Fructis shampoo at the time, I decided to try their wax. It was a reasonable price and in a good sized tub.

When I got home and opened it, it had a gorgeous scent! I loved it, very tropical smelling. It was very stiff at first, but you rub the wax into your fingers until soft and warm, and then work it into your hair. My hair was much more sleek, and I was able to mould it into a lovely shape just like my hairdresser.

The wax lasted all day, didn't look greasy and didn't feel sticky, and I really did make a great choice first time around, wouldn't change it for any other product!

01.09.2015 22:27

Advantages

• "Good coverage"
      • "Easy to apply"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A good bronzer which gives a nice glow.

When the sun arrives, everywhere except my face seems to tan easily and I think this is due to the fact that the face cream contains SPF, to try and give myself my an even colour, I always like to wear a bronzer. This is one product I have used in the past.

This retails for around £14 for a 16g pot and is available from most high street chemists, I used to pick mine up from Superdrug when they had a 3 for 2 promotion running. There are two colour choices available, 101 Blonde and 102 Brunette, I chose the Brunette version which is slightly darker as I have slightly darker features.

This is really easy to use, simply rub your brush over the pearls a couple of times and then apply where desired. I put mine on the areas where you would naturally catch the sun first so give me a more realistic look (i.e. forehead, cheeks and nose) however when I am off on a night out, I would put all over my face as I normally wear fake tan on my body. In the past, other brands I have used have left my face either just looked streaky, dirty or orange however I found this was not the case here.

The only downside I found with this product is when you take the brush off, some of the bronzer is underneath so when you apply to your face, some of the product does end up dropping on your clothes. I tend to shake some into the lid and then add to the brush that way as this eliminates this problem. Having said this, I think that the fact the brush it attached is ideal, it means when I go away or go out, I haven't got to worry about taking a separate brush out with me.

Overall, I really like this product however there are cheaper versions available and for that reason, this only gets 4 out of 5 stars from me.

Thanks for reading.

• Soda Pop Lip Smackers Lip Gloss / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.09.2015 21:41

Advantages

• Cheap
      • Unique
      • "Great Gift"

Disadvantages

• "Very Strong"

Fun, unique and a great gift.

A pet hate of mine, is to have chapped lips and so I always have one handy - in my jacket pocket and in nearly every handbag there is at least one variety of lip balm. And so I can get bored of just the plain lip balms. This is why I am a big fan of lip smackers. For only £1 - £3 you can get some really unique flavours that will certainly jazz up your daily routine.

It is worth shopping around to find the best price for these - and the most unique flavours. Places like Poundland and Savers sell these for around a pound (funnily enough) and seem to sell the flavours that you can no longer get elsewhere - I recently found a J2O and a Fanta Tropical Lip Smackers in a Poundland. Another almost guaranteed place to find Lip Smackers, but for a bit more money, is Claire's Accessorise. You can get packs of about 5 that fit a theme (such as fizzy drinks or retro sweets) that make a really good present.

So, do they work?

Well simply, yes. I find that the product does smell like what it claims, although sometimes I find it can be quite strong if you apply it first thing in the morning (but I like plain smells and foods in the mornings). Also, the product applies smoothly and leaves your lips with a nice subtle shine, and some of them even leave a little bit of colour - but again just a nice subtle hint, which I see as a bonus.

Overall, I really like lip smackers and think they are a really good gift for a very reasonable price, if you shop around.

01.09.2015 21:29

Advantages

Disadvantages

Smashbox PHOTO FINISH FOUNDATION PRIMER

The Smashbox PHOTO FINISH FOUNDATION PRIMER is available for GBP 25.50.

The primer is described as follows. "Create a perfect canvas for foundation application with this silky, lightweight blend of vitamins A and E, grape seed extract and green tea. Worn alone or under foundation to increase longevity, our best-selling primer helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and pores for flawless skin with a velvety-smooth finish. Oil-free!"

I clean my face and carry on my normal day care after it is well drafted, I give a small amount of this primer about. The primer has a gel-like consistency and attracts a really quick, it takes no kidding minute until the product collected. After that I wear as usual on my make-up. At the beginning I was skeptical, I could not imagine that this works so. I develop during the day have a slight shine on forehead, nose and chin, although is not too bad, but if you still want to go where right after work, the make up just looks not so nice and so I was naturally very excited. At the end of the day thanks to this primer my makeup still looks very fresh, one sees virtually no gloss - a little bit of it in the end, but that's really nothing compared to the past. I am absolutely excited about this product, especially if you have a long day ahead of him, or would like to make the nightlife unsure it is advisable to completely apply these primers. The formula is so light that you do not realize to have applied an additional product. Even when abschminken one does not notice that there's a thin layer in between. Thus, the more light you need very little of the primer has to also guarantee longer some of the product. Simply brilliant, I am an absolute fan of it!

• The Body Shop Strawberry Body Butter / Body Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.09.2015 21:19

Advantages

• "Does the job"

Disadvantages

• Sticky

Sticky Sweet

I was bought this as a present from a friend for a birthday one year. It is a pretty good product but I think I much prefer the soap and glory original body butters that I received in a large set once. I'm not sure what they are called but it was in the standard pink packaging. I found this product a little sticky and the smell was a bit overpowering. It didn't settle into your skin right away so you had to wait a bit before dressing or your clothes would stick to you uncomfortably. Although it was very moisturising and I felt that the effects of it lasted a fair while, I didn't enjoy using it all that much and subsequently it is still sat in my cupboard. I I would only really buy it if it was cheap on offer as at full price I wouldn't say it was worth the money. I also own the coconut one of this and I cannot stand the smell of it. I don't know why as I usually like coconut but it is horrible. I would advise going to the shop and smelling it/testing it first before you use this product as the strawberry butter is very sickly sweet and might not be to everybody's taste. You might find another product that takes your fancy more. I would recommend this as a product for a present if they are generally a body shop fan and big users of body butter ect.

• Peppermint / Plant / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.09.2015 21:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

Peppermint

Peppermint is known for centuries as a medicinal plant, but is also often used in my kitchen for seasoning, including salads and sauces, meat, potato dishes, but also for desserts and smoothies. It grows like a weed when it is first grown. Seeds I would not buy; although he comes up well, it takes too long to me. Simply ask someone for a offsprings; often grow peppermint plants from gardens through the fence almost to the road. Since you can calmly take off a branch without anyone would mind. Ideally, such offshoots as many rootlets, then he can do better at. I usually sit in a mixture of potting soil or garden soil plus some compost. Keeping good moist but not drown, and of course can not dry up. If your peppermint plant depends the wings, they would tell you that the urgently needed water. Otherwise: Simply buy a packet of seeds and sprinkle on the window sill in a pot of soil, cover lightly and moisturize. In penumbra peppermint continue to skyrocket; with me under the trees or shrubs. You have to really chase and permanently curb, otherwise it will grow until the neighbors. Peppermint reproduces magnificently through its root suckers. In addition then still falls from the seeds and finished the splendor. Avoidable by container plants. Flowering peppermint shows pink-purple spikes. Even the leaves can be veined, which I find absolutely beautiful purple. Beautifully looks mint therefore also in planters out, be it on the windowsill or on the terrace. If a plant once its dried up, it tears from not equal, because about half of these vetrockneten plant strikes after a rain or next spring again.

• Acerbis Usb Stick 2 Gb / Motorcycle Accessory / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.09.2015 21:11

Advantages

• "Performs well enough "
      • "Acerbis brand is great to be seen with and support"

Disadvantages

• "Low storage capacity "

Reasonable USB stick but low on capacity. I got it because it's Acerbis!

Like any other USB stick, it performs averagely without any problems. You're buying it for the name! Acerbis for the win!
      On a serious note: I wouldn't go for it if you will need to hold a lot of media as it's capacity is only 2GB. Files like office documents are perfect for this stick as they do not take up much space.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown