06.05.2015 18:24

Advantages

• "Lovely fragrance which lasts"
      • "Leaves hair soft and tangle free"

Disadvantages

Conditioning balm for softer hair

I have always bought quite a lot of products from Avon as I have found that they have some really good offers on, and also I like the fact that I can sit at home or at work and decide what I want and then a bag of goodies is delivered to me the next week without me having to traipse around the shops. I bought this Almond oil and Avocado moisturising and conditioning balm for just £1.25 for a 250ml tub which was on offer at the time.

It comes in a cream coloured tub with a screw lid and a picture of half an avocado and some almonds on the front so it is quite obvious what it is. It is from the Naturals hair care range which it says on the front and also that it is for healthy hydration. It also has a low PH and it is suitable for all hair types. On the back it tells you that you need to use it within twelve months of opening, but I am sure I will use it much sooner than this.

The balm itself is a light peachy colour and as soon as you open the lid you can smell a lovely sweet and quite fruity smell. It is quite thick in consistency and you can scoop it out of the tub and not worry that it will drip as you are applying it to your hair.

I find that about a ten pence size blob of the balm is enough for my shoulder length hair and this gives me enough coverage for my whole head. It feels thick and quite rich as you are rubbing it in and my hair feels softer straight away. When I am happy that I have covered all my hair and scalp I will then usually leave it for a few minutes and then rinse it off.

I do like this conditioning balm and find that it suits my hair very well and leaves it clean, soft and smelling lovely and also tangle free and I find that I can get my comb or brush straight through as I am drying it. I would definitely buy this balm again and I do recommend it as a good value quality hair balm which is suitable for all the family.

• Samsung Series 5 Ultra 540U3C / Laptop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.05.2015 18:22

Advantages

• "USB3.0 connectivity"
      • "Very Fast"
      • "HD Screen"
      • "Large Hard Drive"
      • Lightweight

Disadvantages

• "Overall poor quality materials"
      • "No CD/DVD drive"
      • "Not very Durable"

Overall A Capable Machine That Must Do Better

I have owned my samsung ultrabook for 2 years and in that time it has been a very capable machine for the things i use it for.

The keyboard is set out in a fashion not too dissimilar to that of Apples MacBook and is very intuitive to use, the equal island style spacing between the keys allows you to flow across the keyboard and allows even a relatively inexperienced typist to type at a quick pace with little in the way of mistakes.

This particular model in the samsung ultrabook series comes with a 500GB hard drive with a 16GB solid state drive to speed up the booting and loading processes. In the 2 years i have owned this laptop i have never encountered a problem with storage space.
      This model also utilises 2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 and a SD card slot for any additional memory needs.
      The 14 inch HD Display is without doubt the oustanding feature of this laptop, it offers crystal clear pictures with a minimum of glare and next to no motion blur. I have been able to sit and watch full length movies in HD quality with no issues whatsoever.
      When it comes to the sound department it is here where the Samsung is left sadly lacking, the volume output is at times far too low even on the highest setting. And the overall sound quality is not the best it is lacking in depth and sounds tinny and cheap compared to rivals on the market.

Build quality and reliability is also an issue with the Series 5, key issues have been having to replace the hard drive which just mysteriously gave up the ghost which was a costly repair and another major issue with my particular example of the Series 5 is it has a somewhat unreliable keyboard that will some days choose to work partially or not at all in particular the number keys cease to work as do all the function keys.
      On a lesser note the distinct lack of a CD DVD drive is a worry on a laptop in this price bracket as it does limit the compatibility of the machine with certain software packages that are only available as a purchase on disk format which for some more than others could prove to be deal breaker.

Overall it seems that samsung have brought this ultrabook to the market before it was truly finished whilst it is a very stylish and also very capable machine and a desirable object to own it is my feeling that the issues that exist with this laptop have held it back from being the best product that samsung can offer

06.05.2015 18:13

Advantages

• "Nice fresh smell"
      • "Cleans deep down"

Refreshing gel cleanser

I bought this Clean and Clear deep action refreshing gel cleanser from a home store for just £1.99 when I was visiting a friend in Wales and realised that I had forgotton my usual cleanser. This probably wouldn't be my first choice as I do prefer a liquid cleanser but there wasn't much to choose from in the shop, and I had used Clean and Clear products before and found them to be very good. It comes in a 200ml clear plastic bottle and the cleanser itself is a pretty turquoise colour. It has a dark blue pump dispenser which you need to press to release the gel.

The lotion itself has quite a fresh and clean smell and I can still smell this on my face for some time after using the lotion. I use it on my face and neck and I can feel it absorbing into my skin. I will pump the dispenser out onto a cotton wool pad or cotton wool ball about twice and then gently rub it over my face but keeping clear of my eyes as I like to use a separate eye make up remover.

As I am using it I can feel a lovely coolness instantly and my face always feels very fresh and clean afterwards. I am always surprised at the amount of dirt on the cotton pad even if I am not wearing any make up as it is surprising how much dirt which can accumulate on your face during the day. After use I will sometimes apply a toner and then moisturiser or sometimes just a moisturiser to complete my cleansing routine.

I have been very pleased with the results of this cleanser. It is probably not one which I would normally choose but it was really the one suitable one for me at the time when I bought it. I have been using this cleanser now for about three months and I have not used even a quarter of it so it is good value.

• Monkey Life / TV Programme / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      06.05.2015 18:01

Advantages

Disadvantages

A wonderful, heart warming show

Monkey life is a programme that follows the day to day running of the primate rescue centre "Monkey World" in Dorset which was started by the late, great and inspirational Jim Cronin MBE, who is the man in my avatar. He was assisted in the setting up of Monkey World by primate expert Jeremy Keeling who now works tirelessly as the animal manager.

In the programme you get to meet all the members of Monkey world, human and primate alike, you get to know their personalities and the funny little things that they do. You get to see them born and sadly, sometimes you get to see them die. And one of the most touching things is how this clearly has a devastating impact on the staff members. I remember one particular episode where one of the chimps dies and it even makes the lovable grump Jeremy cry and even park director Alison Cronin.

You learn so much about primates by watching this show and seeing how much all of the staff members care about them is so heart warming, and seeing the great lengths they go to so that they can rescue the poor primates is inspiring.

It is not for the emotional among us, some of the things that happen to the poor monkeys is very upsetting, for example, chimp Bryan had his teeth knocked out with a bat and was being used as a beach photographers prop working all day in the hot sun. But luckily Monkey World rescued him and as always rehabilitated him and now he is a happy little man with the rest of his group.

I would highly recommend watching the show, it is fun, educational and moving.

• Pro Action 200gsm Sleeping Bag. / Sleeping Bag / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.05.2015 17:48

Advantages

• Comfy
      • "Reasonably priced"

Disadvantages

A good value sleeping bag

I must have so many sleeping bags in my home. I first had to purchase one when my eldest went on her first school trip to the isle of Wight. And then having four children there were many more school trips and even more camping trips with brownies, Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Guides. And not forgetting Girls’ Brigade as well as Boys’ Brigade. And I’ve never camped in my life!
      My daughters have an eleven year age difference and the boys have over six years between them so it was usually a case of the girls not being able to use the same sleeping bag because with that age difference the first bag would be worn out or chucked away and if it was still around it may well have been adorned with a too girly a design for the older sister. Same sort of thing with the boys but they may well have used the same sleeping bag (on different occasions). I really can’t really remember.

This sleeping bag by ProAction was a good purchase and has been used on a few occasions.
      I like the fact that it washes nice and when clean and dry it can be stored away until its next use without taking up too much space.
      It is a single sleeping bag but still roomy enough even for the teenager or adult.
      There have been no complaints as to its warmth or comfort although I have always added a fleece or similar for extra warmth if necessary.

SPECIFICATIONS

Size Length 180
      Materials Polyester outer
      Hollow fibre filling (200 gsm)

The ProAction 200gsm Single Envelope Sleeping Bag can be purchased from:

Homebase £9.99
      Argos £9.99
      Amazon £19.95

• Tesco Granulated Sweetener / Other Food / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.05.2015 17:33

Advantages

• "Low calorie"
      • Sweet

Disadvantages

• "Slightly synthetic tasting"

Nice and sweet but slightly synthetic tasting

I have been trying to be healthier lately as I tend to consume a lot of sugar and I figured a great way to do that would be to use sweetener instead of sugar in my coffee. But most sweeteners are really expensive so I was very pleased when I found Tesco granulated sweetener at only 79p for 75 grams.

The package is fairly standard and it is a light plastic jar with a screw top lid,I think it used to be red but it is now bright, sunshine yellow which is very cheerful. It is your basic, standard, no frills packaging really. It is deceivingly light because the sweetener is lighter than sugar but I always forget that and am still surprised when I pick it up.

The sweetener itself is very airy and light and has the texture of fake snow, you have to be very careful as it tends to go everywhere when you put the spoon in because it is so light, as a result I always have to clear up after having a cup of coffee which can get a bit annoying!

It tastes great and at only 2 calories per teaspoon it can't be too bad, but the one trouble I found with it is that it tasted very synthetic, it leaves a slightly odd after taste in your mouth which can last a while.

But all in all I have to say it is a great sugar alternative and I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of replacing their sugar.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.05.2015 17:15

Advantages

• "easy to use website"
      • "good range of components"
      • "reasonably priced"
      • "fast production"
      • "fast delivery"
      • "reliable courier"

Disadvantages

great service, would definitely reccomend.

The website was well layed out and the ordering process was easy to use and understand. The laptop I ordered is great, works better than I could have hoped. It was put together and delivered quickly and arrived in perfect condition. couldn't be happier with the service I recieved.

• Crown Oil-filled Radiator / Heater / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.05.2015 17:13

Advantages

• "Three settings "
      • "Wrap around cord storage "
      • "Very useful"

Disadvantages

Very useful and easy to move around

I inherited this oil-filled radiator from a friend who was moving abroad and was letting out her home part furnished. She had to clear some stuff out and I was pleased to take this radiator off of her hands.
      True, I don’t use it often but it has come in handy on several occasions.
      I have always owned at least one oil filled radiator dating back to when my home wasn't centrally heated. Then we used this type of radiator to warm the hallways and bedrooms during the winter months.

The Crown Oil-filled radiator has been used recently when our boiler was replaced and so we needed an alternative form of heating while the central hating was turned off. It was also used a few times when we had boiler trouble.

I like this radiator for several reasons. It is easy to move around because although it is heavy it’s on castors.
      It has three heat settings which is very useful. I tend to keep it on the high setting for a while and once the room is warm enough I turn it down. Usually 600w is enough to keep the room at a comfortable temperature and this isn't too expensive in running costs.

It has a thermostat which means that when the desired temperature has been reached the radiator will turn off and only come on again when the temperature drops.

Dimensions H 640mm x W 320mm x D 140mm.

Power 1500W, 900W, 600W.

When the radiator is working the lights comes on.

As mentioned, it is easy to move around due to it being equipped with castors but another benefit to its manoeuvrability is the fact that the cord can be wrapped around the radiator when not in use. This makes it look tidy.

It heats up quickly enough and does a good job of providing background heat.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      06.05.2015 17:06

Advantages

• "relible courier"
      • "fast delivery"
      • "fast manufacture"
      • "reasonably priced"
      • "good range of components"
      • "easy to use the website"

Disadvantages

great service, would definitely reccomend.

• Sky Broadband / Telecommunications Service / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.05.2015 16:36

Advantages

• "Good deal if you ask"

Disadvantages

• "No communication"
      • "Terrible customer service"

Horrible customer service

I have had sky broadband before and never had a problem until I tried this year to get it for my new flat. I got Sky TV relatively hassle free and it has been great. But when I tried to get sky broadband I have had no end of troubles.
      They told me everything was going ahead and it got to the day before and the router still wasn't delivered so I called and asked and they said he order had been cancelled because the system did not recognise the address. I thought I should have been called but not their fault, so I placed another order with a manually entered address and they said it would be fine. This happened three times and not once was I given an apology, a call or a explanation.
      I would never recommend them ever again.

• O2 / Telecommunications Service / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.05.2015 16:28

Advantages

• "I like the cat"

Disadvantages

• "Lied to repeatedly"
      • "No details EVER updated"
      • "Terrible communication between departments"
      • "Horrendous customer service"

Atrocious service

I have been with O2 for many years now and I have never really had any major problems with them up until last year. I had always had a good signal and preferential rates for being a customer for fifteen years!
      But recently their service has been appalling, I changed my name by deed poll and sent them all of the relevant information and documents. I was assured the change had been made but after a year I found that it still had not.

I had also updated my address details twice as I had moved but they were still registered to my original address.
      I recently upgraded my phone and found that they still had the wrong address on file so I changed it, double checked it would be delivered to the right place and then found out that it has been delivered to my old address where people live who could easily have taken it!

I got no apology and no compensation whatsoever so I will be leaving them immediately after today.

• Lexmark Z25L / Inkjet Printer / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      06.05.2015 16:02

Advantages

• trustworthy
      • "print quality"

Disadvantages

• "expensive cartridges"

Unpretentious printer Lexmark Z25L

Bought the Lexmark Z25L 5 years ago. At the time was very cool, enjoyed him as a child. Now, surprisingly, the printer still works fine. If he cartridges refilled. The great thing in it not only the print quality, which is at the correct settings are very decent. I am struck by the fact that for several years with frequent use it has never dried up. Everything works until the paint is. Another inkjet printer will leave for a week without printing it and will dry up. And this though that.
      Driver on it – no problem. With the Internet, not difficult to find. Set too easily.
      By all accounts, a great printer except for one, current as of today, the things you can consider disposable if you look from the material point of view. New cartridges (color I needed) and found that the cartridges for this printer cost as much as a new printer. And in some places, when buying a set of cartridges printer give as a gift. One salvation is to install a system of continuous submission of ink. Although many say that, after the installation is lost the print quality. Personally, I do not dare to install. So my printer and is idle. Now I will say little about its characteristics: PRINTING: thermal, four-color. Print speed (A4): monochrome - up to 11 ppm in draft mode color - up to 6 ppm in draft mode. Resolution (max): 1200x1200 dpi. RESOURCE: printer 2000 p/month., cartridges for non-intensive printing (included in the delivery package) - 205 black page 140 and page color, standard cartridge - 410 page black, 275 page color (A4, padding, 5% black and 15% in color).

06.05.2015 16:01

Advantages

• "Tastes nice enough"
      • Sweet

Disadvantages

• Weak
      • Powdery

Kind of a let down

I love sweet stuff and white chocolate has got to be the greatest thing in the world so you can imagine my delight when I came across a white hot chocolate. I immediately threw it into the trolley and went on my merry way.

When I got home to sit down and watch Broadchurch I made my drink, the white chocolate dissolves much better than its Belgian counterpart incidentally. I settled down in the living room, but when I tasted it I was so disappointed, I put in the recommended 3 teaspoons and a dash of milk, but it was so weak! I could barely taste anything at all. I tried putting more in but all that did was make it lumpy ad powdery. I added a spoon full of sweetener, that did nothing so I had to throw it away.

I was quite disappointed, I paid £3.25 for a drink I did not like and my fiancée wouldn't even have it and she will have anything.

She suggested putting it with milk rather than water, this made a big difference, but the whole point was that it is low in calories and adding milk just makes it worse for you.
      I would not recommend it to anyone to be completely honest.

• Options Belgian Chocolate 220g / Soft Drink / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.05.2015 15:53

Advantages

• "Nice and sweet"
      • "Great taste"

Disadvantages

• "Hard to dissolve"

Great drink, shame about the price

I have possibly got the world's biggest sweet tooth, but I am trying to be healthier of late because I know my diet has been bad. So options seemed like a reasonable way to help satisfy a sweet craving whenever one arose.

I chose the Belgian chocolate one as my other half was a big fan and highly recommended it because she has a sweet tooth as bad as mine.

I loved the creamy sweet taste and how you could feel your cravings melting away as you drank it. It was sweet enough to take the edge off and for only 60 calories that was what I needed.
      The one problem I did have with it though is that it was always very hard to dissolve and I was often left with little powdery chocolate lumps in my lovely drink.

It was also quite expensive considering how much you get, £3.25 in my local Tesco is a bit much for me to have it on a regular basis.

I have started putting it in desserts now as a healthier alternative to cocoa.

• Aldi Alcafe Gold Instant Coffee / Coffee / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      06.05.2015 15:46

Advantages

• "Very affordable"
      • "Great taste"

Disadvantages

• "Could be stronger"

A great coffee for a good price.

I work from home as a writer so I drink a lot of coffee, and my mother always used to tell me off for drinking cheap coffee. I always considered her a coffee sob until I tasted Aldi gold, I now won't drink anything less than this.
      It has a great rich aroma and it smells like a really expensive brand label coffee which I love as it is the first thing I do in the morning, I wake up and smell the coffee (seriously)

It is a bargain price and comes in a decent sized jar which lasts me most of the month, sometimes the whole month if I have been good. But for £2.29 I could easily get another jar!

The taste is just like any other decent brand name coffee, it is rich and flavourful, okay it is not the strongest coffee in the world but or what you pay, you get a good cup of coffee. The beans have never been burnt and the cup always comes out smooth and refreshing.
      The true taste test was when my coffee snob mother liked it!

I would highly recommend it to any coffee lovers out there!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown