26.01.2015 13:52

Advantages

• "auto or manual settings"
      • "good video setting"
      • "good picture results"
      • "A good bridge camer"

Disadvantages

• "none for the price"

A fujifilm bridge camera that is a step in the right direction

It is a small camera really, being about 115 wide 75mm high and 83mm deep, with the lens full out taking it to about 115mm. The lens area itself is a good 55mm in diameter.
      On the rear there is the 3 inch screen, with the small but easy to navigate control panel by the side of the screen. There is also a view fonder just above the screen which is great for saving battery power as you don't have to use the screen all the time.

It runs off 4 AA batteries, which slot into the bottom of the grip secton, together with the SD card, , which you get four of in the box, together with a set of leads to connect up to your PC or TV, you also get all the other things you need, the strap, lens cover, leaflet and a cd to install onto your PC, (if you want to).

The LCD screen is nice and clear, so is the viewfinder, which helps when it comes to taking that perfect picture.
      The settings are easy to use and, most of the time, I get a decent picture. Some can come out a little on the blurred side, but a quick fiddle with the settings and a steadier hand, results in a better picture.

The shutter button is at the front of the hand grip and is so easy to get at with your finger so taking the actual shot is so easy indeed
      It does take a little bit of time to get used to the manual settings, especially, if like me, you've been using a snap and shoot most of your life. But it you don't want to use manual settings there is the option of the automatic settings.

The camera is a nice size and weight, so that it does not look like I work for the BBC when i'm out shooting pictures. This camera sits around me neck, using the supplied strap and, if the weather's not that good, sits comfortably under my coat.
      The pictures that I get from this are not too bad. They're not as good as some camera, those that cost ten times as much, but for what you pay for this the pictures can be pretty nice.

The cost of this bridge camera is about £100 or less. Which is not to bad for those that want to step into the world of manual settings in the camera world

26.01.2015 12:51

Advantages

• "Will Ferrell"
      • "2 hours"

Disadvantages

• "Joke falls flat in the sequel"

The Burgundy falls flat

So, 10 years after the original film we are back with a sequel. Paramount Pictures didn’t want to make another one and Will Ferrell and Adam McKay (who co-writes and directs all of Ferrell’s movies), along with stars Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell, went off and did other things and had great careers in that decade - unlike Vince Vaughan. But Paramount came around and in 2012 ‘Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues’ was green-lighted. The guys decided they wanted to do it and Paramount relented, the deal breaker being the cast had to take big pay cuts, but still coming in at $50 million, a very high budget for a comedy. It did $177 million back with a full on marketing campaign with Ferrell in full Ron Burgundy character, the fist sign the sparkle in Ron Burgundy’s teeth may have faded.

===Cast===

Chris Parnell ... Garth
      Harrison Ford ... Mack Tannen
      Vince Vaughan … Wes Mantooth

===Plot===

After Ron Burgundy’s fall from grace on San Diego local news he is now working in Sea World as a warm up man, abusing the patrons as per usual. His wife Veronica Corningstone (Christine Applegate) has left him for bigger things and California news, headed by Mack Tannon (Harrison Ford), will not let him back.

About to put the noose around his neck he gets a job offer to work in New York, GNN, and the worlds first ever rolling news station ready to go. Invigorated by the challenge he gets the old band back together and heads out to Manhattan, soon in conflict with the stations super handsome news anchor Jack Lime (James Marsden) and less than politically correct with its sexy black female boss Linda Jackson (Meagan Good).

Ron, deranged weatherman Brick Tamland (Steve Carell) and ladies man sportscaster Brian Fontana (Paul Rudd) are in instant success and quickly bumped up from the graveyard shift; Ron’s somewhat over patriotic and dumbed down newscasts drawing big audiences. He says it as it is, introducing live police pursuits, cops beating up villains and burning buildings as real news, leaving just enough time to insult just about everyone watching.

Meanwhile his ex wife is doing well across town on the serious new stations and a battle or ratings underway. Alas, he suffers a major accident when tripping on a TV cable whilst playing the flute skating on ice in a big white fur coat and it may be all over as news is ripped from Ron Burgundy’s hands once again…

===Results===

If you don’t like Will Ferrell and just don’t get it with him then don’t go near this movie. If you do like Ferrell then, well, you may not like this either. It’s not one of his best. There a lot of things wrong with it.

First of all it’s way too long at two hours and a whole segment in there that really shouldn’t be. It’s really flabby and patchy with very few big laughs and someone really needed to rein in the improvisation stuff. They took the stupidity and riffing too far and it’s quickly gets irritating. You get the feeling that because they think it’s funny we should find its funny. Don’t get me wrong, Ron Burgundy was a great movie character, Alan Partridge style, but here just a parody of the enjoyable first film. Now I know the success of the original, and most of Ferrell’s shtick, is based on that seemingly uncontrolled improve humor but here it’s just anarchic and infantile, especially the Steve Carell bits. That stuffed worked in film one as Ferrell and his Saturday Night Live team of comedians who starred had probably had the idea in their heads for many years and so fresh material. Here they make the fatal mistake with most sequels of trying to repeat the first films success, and like The Hangover, that magic ingredient was its originality and scrubbed off in the sequels. At least we can thank our lucky stars the first idea to have a musical for the follow up was quickly discarded.

I laughed more than a few times, but for every joke that hits, there's at least one that misses. The News 24 send up for the period worked well but that was about it. Like I said, many twigged when Ferrell did loads of publicity for this movie in character that the sequel was not going to be fantastic, almost imploring people to go see it at the ITV Comedy Awards, which he hijacked. Some critics felt it was racist and sexist at times and so unchecked there where as I thought that was the point of that era and the spoof. One scene around some black people at dinner with the mustachioed Burgundy did seem out of kilter with Ferrell and his liberal stuff and I can only presume it was inserted to draw in the fly over state types to fill up the redneck multiplexes.

What Ferrell does best is sending up a topic in his films, be it news, NASCAR, basketball or ice skating, and move on to the next topic. What he should never do is go back if he is not sure the joke is still there. He seems to be making the same mistake with Semi Pro 2, currently in production. It’s a shame as many were all looking forward to Anchorman 2 but it was not to be.

===Will Ferrell films you should see===

Anchorman: The Legend of on Burgundy
      Blades of Glory
      The Other Guy
      The Campaign
      Land of the Lost
      Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

===RATINGS===

Imdb.com – 6.4/10.0 (110,098votes)
      Rottentomatos.com – 75% critic’s approval
      Metacriitc.com – 61% critic’s approval

===Special Features===

-Audio Commentary-

Quite funny if you have time on your hands as Ferrell, McKay and cast let rip.

-Welcome to the Dolphin Show-

An extended scene from Sea World

-Gag Reel-

More of that riffing stuff, a cast intent on creating 20 minutes of bloopers.

-Catfight-

Veronica and Linda bitch it out.

-News - o - Rama-

The boys and girls go improv crazy

-Kench-o-Rama-

The boys and girls go improv crazy

====================

26.01.2015 11:30

Advantages

• "no residue"
      • "doesn't leave hair greasy"
      • "easy to apply"
      • "smells nice"
      • "protects hair"

Disadvantages

• "expensive to buy from salons"

An impressive straightening spray.

PRODUCT: I recently read two reviews about this particular product on Ciao and as both users seemed to say positive things about it so I thought I would give it a try to see what it was like. I only straighten my hair once or twice a week due to the damage straightening does to your hair in general so when I do straighten it I like use to a heat protection product. This product helps to protect your hair against heat damaged when using straighteners. It leaves your hair straight and sleek and hydrated unlike some products which can dry your hair out.

PRICE: I decided to look for this product on Amazon to see if they had it there as I had a £10 Amazon voucher which I thought would be more than enough to buy a bottle of this product with. I managed to purchase a 250ml bottle of this for £4.14 which I thought was very good considering this product is apparently around £8.00 in hair salons.

IN USE: This product is designed for use on dry hair. I simply section my hair and then clip the upper sections of hair up so that I am able to get to the sections underneath easily. I pressed down on the button once and a fine mist came out and landed on my hair. I tend to hold the bottle a couple of inches away from my hair. I noticed that the product had a rather nice smell to it which I liked. I normally spray the section of hair that I want to straighten twice ensuring that I have sprayed some near the top section and another spray nearer to the bottom. After spraying my hair I simply ran the straighteners carefully through my hair. On most sections I only needed to do this once. I felt happy using my straighteners knowing that I was using a heat protector spray before hand to minimise damage to my hair.

RESULTS: After straightening my hair I looked in the mirror to look at the results. The heat protection spray seemed to have done a good job of protecting my hair and making it look sleek. I could smell the scent of the spray in my hair every now and again which was nice as my hair smell clean and fresh. My hair seemed to stay straight during the day/evening or for as long as I wanted it to anyway. When waking up the following morning and brushing my hair, it didn't feel greasy and there was no residue from using the product the previous day. I did need to straighten my hair again the following day but again I applied a little of this spray and my hair was nice and straight again.

OVERALL: A fantastic spray that I highly recommend to others.

• zavvi.co.uk / Online Shop / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      26.01.2015 09:39

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Poor customer service"
      • "Limited selection"
      • Slow

A cheaper but slower alternative to amazon

Zavvi used to be a chain of music and video stores – they were what Virgin turned into. Then they went bust and the shops all vanished. But they still exist as an online shop where you can buy the usual stuff – films, music, books, clothes and electronics.

Obviously setting themselves up against amazon means they have to try to carve out a niche for themselves. They do seem to be a lot more focused on Blu-rays than most sellers are (I suspect this isn’t a viable long-term business plan). They produce a lot of exclusive Blu-ray ‘steelbooks’ (Blu-rays in collectable, limited-edition metal cases).

The main reason to use zavvi is that they’re often a lot cheaper than amazon. They do frequent sales, and also quite often email discount codes and suchlike. However, they don’t have anything like the variety of stock, and less mainstream items are likely to either not be available at all, or more expensive than amazon.

It’s an easy-to-use, fairly bog-standard ecommerce site. Signing up, logging in, using the shopping basket, and buying things are every bit as easy as you’d expect. They only charge for items when they dispatch.

So what’s the catch? Well, they’re often extraordinarily slow. I’ve never had an item fail to turn up (apart from the one I cancelled, which we’ll come to in a moment). But they have been known to take several weeks to arrive. They don’t always, sometimes they arrive within a few days. It seems to be the luck of the draw. They’re always well-packaged when they do turn up (I’m not interested in steelbooks myself, but if you’re investing in collectable metal cases you want them to arrive dent and scratch free).

Aside from the slowness of delivery, the general customer service is not good if you have a problem. I once tried to cancel an item, and while I was able to eventually, it required a lot of effort on my part, emailing zavvi and insisting, repeatedly, that they cancel my order (it was for a preordered Blu-ray they didn’t seem to be able to get into stock).

They’ve a tendency to accept preorders without checking if they can actually secure stock. I’ve heard of people getting stung over preordering limited editions that zavvi were then unable to fulfil. I had a problem once where I decided to cancel a preordered item that zavvi didn’t have in stock despite them claiming they did and taking my money.

But if you’re not preordering new items, and aren’t too fussed about how long they take to deliver, zavvi is a generally cheap option, and worth looking into.

• The Help (DVD) / DVD / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      26.01.2015 09:24

Advantages

• "Interesting to watch"
      • "Engaging characters"
      • "Emotionally evocative"

Disadvantages

• "Took a little while to engage me"

Helping An Inspired Revolution

The Help falls within the drama genre and seems to have caused a bit of a stir amongst critics and audiences who have hyped it up. The Help is based on the Number 1 New York Times bestseller by Kathryn Stockett.

We are thrown in to 1960’s Mississippi, where we meet Skeeter, a Southern girl fresh out of college and aspiring to become a writer. Against the backdrop of the Civil Rights Movement, Skeeter sees the inequality and treatment of the black women around her and decides to write a piece on their experiences. She begins by speaking with Aibileen, her best friend’s housekeeper, who starts to open up. The interview sheds light on a some goings-on but the fellow black community are not happy with her involvement initially, worried about word getting out and them getting in to trouble. The relationship between Aibileen and Skeeter deepens as stories are shared, and a few other voices come in to the fold. It looks as if Skeeter may be able to pen a book with the stories that are being told, but where the truth starts to surface, so do the cracks in the community. The imbalance between the housekeepers and the white socialites grows, friendships are stretched and ugly truths start to surface.

As the film continues, we see more stories uncovered, and the tidal-wave impact Skeeter’s book adventure has on the town.

The cast includes Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Emma Stone, and Sissy Spacek, amongst others. I quite like the diversity here, keeping it down to earth, gritty and believable without too much Hollywood sparkle. I enjoyed watching them and could empathise with the characters; they helped make it saddening, frustrating and uplifting simultaneously, taking the edge off it being too depressing or politically orientated by adding touches of humour and sarcasm.

Whilst the stories uncovered are shocking, the treatment of these women appalling, there is also a sense of poignancy, hope and inspiration. The film is a testament to change and how just one person can start the ball rolling, but it takes patience and bravery to do it.
      The film has a good quality feel to it. Without big action or fancy effects, what you do get is a heartfelt portrayal of the 1960’s Southern America during a tumultuous time of change.

I must admit that initially I had some trouble getting in to the film, finding the dialogue and slower speed not particularly engaging. However, that could have been the frame of mind I was in. Fortunately, it didn’t take too long before I became intrigued, finding certain characters easy to watch and losing myself in the essence of the era. There’s more to the film than just hearing the stories. The whole notion of secretly writing them encapsulates the societal tide, the changing way of thinking at the time, the struggles within the community and the friendships involved. It gave The Help a multi-faceted approach and depth, making it more interesting and emotionally evocative.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      26.01.2015 09:20

Advantages

• "Everything explained well"
      • Reliable
      • "Quick "

Disadvantages

Quick, Reliable and easy to use

The product arrived much more quickly given it was just after christmas when I ordered it. The product itself was very good quality and works a thousand times better than the previous laptop I owned. If I was going to get another custom built pc or laptop I would definitely recommend PCSpecialist as they are reliable, quick to build and send and the website was very easy to use with everything explained simply enough for me to understand.

26.01.2015 05:08

Advantages

• "lasts awhile"
      • "good color"

Disadvantages

Love my pink hair!

Before dying my Asian black hair, I bleached it twice. This got it to a very Ramen noodle looking color. Then I toned it. The toner got it to a very nice white or light blonde color. The dye will NOT work if you have dark hair. Anything too blonde will turn it ORANGE (and not a good orange either.) So be sure to have really light hair before doing so.

I bought the dye in "Atomic Pink" and diluted it with white conditioner (any white conditioner will do) to make it a more pastel pink. It took about 3 dyes but my hair looks great! It's exactly the color I wanted and doesn't wash out (even in hot showers). It's extremely bright. I only used a few drops for each dye job so I have about 90% of the bottle still left. I put a drop or so in my conditioner bottle every time I condition my hair, so it stays vibrantly pink. Mostly everyone I know loves my new hair color. Additionally, it doesn't bleed. My bathtub nor any of my extremely white towels have turned even slightly pink. Anything that the dye has touched rubs off rather easily (although this could be because, again, I mix my dye with conditioner.)

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase! When I'm tired of having florescent pink hair, I think I'm going to try one of their blues or purples since this color dye was so, so good.

26.01.2015 04:40

Advantages

• "Wipes clean"
      • "Comes in a variety of colours"

Disadvantages

• "Expensive for what it is"

Nice case, looks great, acts as a stand, but ultimately overpriced for what it is!

I received an ipad from my wife for Christmas and I wanted to buy a case for it to protect it from spills and bumps. I visited the Apple shop and they recommended this case for it. You will be able to find this case stocked in most Apple shops and it is rather expensively priced at £19.99. I bought the case and took it home.

The case came in a variety of colours, I chose light blue and my wife has a pink one. I think that it is also available in red, black, grey and yellow. The case is sort of a rubbery material and it is easy to fit on. It fits tightly onto the ipad and you get the feeling that if you dropped it the material would absorb a lot of the impact. It wipes clean easily and folds back in segments to expose the ipads screen. Because it folds in segments you can use it as stand for the ipad and stand it up as you watch some iplayer or a film, sport etc. You do this by folding 3 of the segments into a triangle which acts as a base to stand the ipad.

The screen fit neatly over the ipad and there are spaces cut in it for headphone leads, chargers etc. The case is solid and robust yet flexible enough to absorb an impact and is easy to remove when needed. I would recommend this product but I do believe that it is overpriced at around £20.

• Thermae Bath Spa (Bath) / Spa / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      26.01.2015 04:27

Advantages

• "Great service"
      • "Beautiful setting"

Disadvantages

• "Can be very busy"
      • Expensive

Expensive but worth every penny. You won't visit a more beautiful city in the UK

Bath is a beautiful place to visit. The architecture is breathtaking and because the city is a world heritage site it is unspoilt. The city is immaculate with beutiful Georgian buildings and breathtaking architecture. It has a number of beautiful parks, the most well known of which is Victoria Park. It is in my opinion the most attractive city in the UK.

The thermae spa is an incredibly popular attraction and is situated in the center of the city just off the high street. It is about a 15 minute walk from the train station and is very easy to find as it is well signposted. If you get lost just ask someone in the street, everyone who's local will know where it is.

It is not cheap and costs around £24 per person for a 2 hour session. Your given a bit of extra time to get dressed. Please don't forget to take your own towesl, swimming costume and robes as they will charge you to rent these. i would recommend booking in advance as it is extremely popular. Bath is full of tourists on any given day of the year so prepare for queues and crowds.

There are plenty of saunas, jacuzzi's and treatment rooms but for me the highlight is the rooftop pool. It is open to the sky and you can sit in the warm water feeling the relaxing jacuzzi jets in the middle of winter and watch the world go by. It truly is a fantastic experience and worth every penny.

• Soap & Glory Glow All Out / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      26.01.2015 02:01

Advantages

• "Doesn't need to be layered "
      • "Lasts ages!"
      • "Wakes up tired skin"
      • "Gives a subtle sheen "

Disadvantages

Great highlighter

I love almost all soap and glory products, I use their skin care range religiously, but I have to say their make up range was a little disappointing (although the packaging is still amazing!) this highlighter really surprised me though. I purchased it as soap & glory had a 3 for 2 offer on at boots and now it's one of my make up staples. The colour is a soft shimmery pink colour, which when swept across the cheekbones and along the brow bone gives a subtle sheen that makes you look really refreshed. The box states it can also be used on the neck and shoulder area, which I have not tried, but I sometimes dab a little on the inner corners of my eyes- it gives you a bright eyed look and makes you instantly look more awake. I have tried several other highlighters, mainly because I can't resist trying new products, but I always come back to this one. It also lasts ages...I have used this product almost everyday for 4 months and it's still going strong!

26.01.2015 01:21

Advantages

• "Impact shredder reduces volume of leaves"
      • "Variable speed dial"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Great buy. Variable speed dial allows you to match the power to the job.

I bought this product for around £100 which is quite expensive for a leaf blower as they start at around £30. I have quite a sizeable garden and it is covered in leaves in the Autumn as out garden is lined by lots of large trees. Getting the leaves up with a rake is exhausting and tedious and in the end you sort of give up. For those of you that are trying to clear leaves by hand I fully recommend a leaf blower, they will make your life so much easier.

I wanted to buy a machine from a reputable brand as quality and reliability is really important to me and I am willing to pay extra for these qualities. I decided to buy a Black and Decker because they have a good name and are known for there reliability and build quality.

The machine is brilliant, I prefer the blowing function to the vacuum function. It is easier to blow the leaves into a pile and collect up the pile rather than suck them up and empty the bag. It comes with a rake attachment for difficult wet leaves or grass which is very useful. It has a variable speed dial so you can match the power needed to the task that you are doing. This model has an impact shredder which is great as it reduces the volume of leaves/grass that you vaccum up and you need to empty the bag less often. This is a great buy.

26.01.2015 00:58

Advantages

• "Lots of add ons as standard"
      • "Simple to use"
      • "Great results"

Disadvantages

• "Very pricey"

Great product. Well designed, mobile and well built. Great results for patios and car washing.

I bought this product to keep the patio of my new home looking nice. I have a nice patio overlooking the garden which we often like to sit on and watch the world go buy. However it has started to look really dirty and worn. We were due to host a BBQ and invited lots of friends and relatives. I wanted the patio to look nice so I decided to look at getting a power washer. I know that Karcher are a good brand and I was willing to pay a bit extra for a reputable brand. I think this cost me nearly £200. This is a lot of money but they are not generally cheap.

The great thing about this machine is that it can be used either laying flat, which provides more stability or upright which makes it easier to pull about. The flat position also helps you avoid driving over the lead. The machine is nicely designed and is tough and durable. It has a really long lead which is really useful as you often do not require an extension lead with it. If im doing the car then sometimes I need an extension lead. It blasts you patio clean in no time and you can really see the results. The other good function is washing the car (on a specific low function) which is really useful and gives really good results, leaving your car spotless. It comes with lots of add ons such as dirtbuster lances etc which are great and most importantly it comes with 3 years manufacturers warranty for peace of mind.

I fully recommend this product to anyone.

• Always Dailies Normal / Sexual Health / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      26.01.2015 00:53

Advantages

• "feels comfortable "
      • "great absorbition"

Disadvantages

• "could be cheaper "

Does what it says on the tin, could be cheaper

well, this is a review on pantyliners, so this might err on the side of bodily functions.

This is great for daily discharge and feels very comfortable. I have used these before my periods as I can have very irritatingly heavy discharge, these are also helpful to use with a very light flow and to use with a tampon in case of any leakage.

• Tampax Regular / Sexual Health / 2 Readings / 0 Ratings
      26.01.2015 00:46

Advantages

• "easy application "
      • "feels comfortable "

Disadvantages

• "some leaks "

Bloody good for your monthly

well... a tampon review.
      This is actually the first tampons I have tried, and I actually love them.
      They are simple to use, just insert, push and pull the applicator!
      It feels so comfortable that I forgot its even there!

I would definitely recommend to first time tampon users as its just the right size (uhm) and feel so comfy!

26.01.2015 00:40

Advantages

• "does the trick "

Disadvantages

• "tastes vile "

Does what it says on the tin, although a bit expensive

Its cold and flu season, so out comes the blankets, hot water bottles and last but not least, the nations favourite- lempsip.
      so, I'm not the one to use cold and flu remedies as I rely on old mother nature and plenty of fluids and rest to do the trick. However, as I had a busy day I turned to lempsip.
      This is quite an expensive product compared to ginger root tea with dash of lemon, so I was quite sceptical.
      First impressions- It tasted vile, and I had a blocked nose. I had to use all my willpower to drink it slowly like I would a cup of tea and hated every minute of it.
      But apparently, its the law for medicine to taste horrible.

All in all, it actually worked! It made me feel so much better! don't worry, this isn't the second coming of jesus but it just does what it says in the ads.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown