07.07.2015 19:05

Advantages

• "Good looks"
      • Powerful
      • "Superior sound quality"

Disadvantages

• "Ill fitting screw"

Learning about Koda

I bought the Koda 858F when redecorating our spare room with a view to turning it into a chill out zone complete with music, movies and a snacks bar. Things didn't work out as well as I'd hoped but the plus point was that this tower speaker has become one of my favourite possessions.

The crisp white design looks good in every room while superior sound quality makes Koda a brand I intend to find out more about. When the only negative aspect about a speaker is the time it takes to remove dirt then I think that tells you this is a very good addition to your sound system.

The sound pumps out of the speaker, never diminishing even when I crank the volume up or listen to a spot of metal. At no point have I ever been disappointed in the music as heard through this speaker and have now transferred it to the lounge from the spare room where it will get more use.

The base of the speaker had to be fitted by myself and the fitting provided by Koda was insufficient to hold the two pieces together, this was dealt with easily with a trip to the hardware store and the purchase of a more suitable blunt end screw.

The speaker comes in at a healthy 100 watts, perfect for my needs with enough power to allow me to annoy the neighbours but with the capacity to be turned to a much lower volume for those times when chill out music is needed rather than blasting tunes out.

£137 is expensive I know but in the world of music you get what you pay for and this speaker is worth every penny.

07.07.2015 18:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

Everything peanut butter should be.

Now I know that peanut butter is one of those things that people either go nuts for (see what I did there?) or just the mere thought of it makes them recoil in horror. I am most definitely the first one. I consider myself to be a bit of a peanut butter connoisseur - if that's even a real thing. But believe me when I say it, I've tried a lot of different types...and this is the best 'supermarket brand' by a long way.

Before I start on the positives of this product - and believe me, there are lots. There are 2 (possibly 3) downsides. First one, personally I've found it fairly difficult to find, the only supermarket where I can guarantee I'll find it is Sainsbury's. You can get it on Amazon and some other sites that sell imported foods but this isn't always guaranteed, which brings me nicely to point number two - the price. The cost of a jar in Sainsbury's can vary, but at the time of writing this a small (340g) jar costs £2.25. Buy it on Amazon or elsewhere and I find the price increases significantly. But as everything these days, it varies. Saying that, it is worth every penny!
      The other possible downside, it is quite possibly too nice. Yes that's what I said. Too nice. It isn't exactly light on calories...and from the first taste of it you will be thinking about when you can have some more. You will eat it out of the jar with a spoon...I almost guarantee it. So for the calorie counters, it perhaps isn't the best choice, but that can be said for any brand of peanut butter. Looking at it from a different angle, peanuts are good for you and have 'good fats' in them. So by eating it you are actually doing your body a favour. There, problem solved.

The product itself has everything balanced exactly right. It is the perfect balance of creamy, crunchy, salty & sweet. I've never had a crunchy peanut butter that has tasted this good and spread so easily. Crunchy is always a difficult one, commercial brands such as Sunpat just get it so wrong, on taste, texture and ease of spreading. Where as the organic 'healthier' brands, the taste is better but they are often very difficult to spread and frequently have a layer of oil over the top, making it very messy. You don't get any of this with Skippy. It has a rich roasted taste without the overly sickly taste of most peanut butters and a little goes a long way.

Great on toast, in sandwiches (especially with banana), baking and recently I made Ice-cream using it which was divine! But it's equally good by itself. It is just a great product, if you haven't tried it already and are a fan of peanut butter, it's a must.

07.07.2015 18:22

Advantages

• "Timer function is easy to use and useful"
      • "Does everything you need an oven to do"
      • "Great size for family cooking"
      • "LCD display"
      • "Easy and simple to use"
      • "Stylish good looks"

Disadvantages

• "Not fan assisted (oven)"

An excellent oven for the kitchen and for family cooking

The HAG60 is a gas powered hob and oven combination with a larger two tray oven on the bottom and a smaller single tray grill oven on top. The oven also features 4 ring burners of different sizes.

In the year that I've been using this oven, it has proved to be really very easy to use and clean. Controls are responsive, easily readable and well postioned so that any spills don't cover them.

Being a conventional oven I had some doubts on whether the two bottom ovens would cook food evenly. In the vast majority of instances it has, and I've achieved this by ensuring the oven was preheated before cooking any food. For the larger oven at the bottom if you'd like food to be cooked at higher temperatures, food must be placed on the higher tray, whereas the slower tray is used for slower cooking. It is also advisable to keep an eye on the food being cooked to avoid it getting burnt.

Additionally, the oven has a LCD display that acts as a clock as well as a timer, where you can set the time needed for food cooking in the oven and be reminded of it a beeping alarm.

The grill also heats fast and cooks food beautifully.

Both ovens are quite large and will accomodate large baking trays as well.

In conclusion and keeping things short and simple, the HAG60 is excellent calye for money. It acheives this by being high quality, stylish looks, large capacity, easy to use and clean, responsive controls and impressive performance. It all adds up to one amazing cooker and a very happy owner :) I highly recommend this oven to anyone looking for one without any hesitation!

• Skull and Crossbones Ear Buds / Headphones / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      07.07.2015 18:21

Advantages

• "Cool design"

Disadvantages

• "No mic or volume control"

Buy from IWOOT for authenticity

My Skull & Crossbones earphones came from IWOOT late last year, I bought them to make up my order for free minimum delivery and they cost £4.75. The design is good with each ear bud featuring a basic image of the traditional Skull & Crossbones motif.

The earphones I have are black with the Skull & Crossbones picked out in white, that contrast is a good one and helps the design stand out while I'm wearing the earphones but the black cable can be held to disguise the fact these are novelty decorated earphones if you want to hide the fact.

For novelty earphones these are very good quality producing good sound through musical recordings and the spoken word. There is no mic or volume control but that is not something that is necessary when I purchase cheap and fun earphones such as this set.

Both ear buds produce an equally good sound with bass coming through better than expected and all mid range tones being well rounded and always clear. There's very little deterioration at a loud volume and I have never experienced buzzing or low sound quality with anything I've chosen to listen to through these earphones.

The fit is comfortable but slightly elongated ear buds caused a bit of irritation to begin with, not completely unpleasant and not enough to chaff but the feeling of the buds wanting to pop out of my ears was very distracting. The buds have not shrunk but I don't feel this irritation any longer so I must be used to it now.

07.07.2015 17:55

Advantages

• "Applies nicely"
      • "Amazing colours"

Disadvantages

• "Pricey "

What are you waiting for?

This lipstick is really good, maybelline have a variety of colours , there's so many nice shades to choose from

07.07.2015 17:52

Advantages

• Cheap
      • Matte
      • "True to colour"

Disadvantages

Go try it out

This is an amazing colour, an amazing brand and I've painted my nails with this colour so many times

• LanguageCourse.net / Internet Site / 3 Readings / 1 Rating
      07.07.2015 17:47

Advantages

• "Organises course for you"
      • "Price discount"

Disadvantages

Superb service from start to finish

Languagecourse.net gathered information on several language schools into one place, readily searchable by city, duration, etc., and made them easy to compare. They offered a discount on the total cost, and organised all the details with the school after I'd signed up. All in all they provided a superb service and I will use them again.

• Ebuyer.com / Online Shop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      07.07.2015 17:11

Advantages

• "Fast Delivery"
      • "Great Products"
      • "Great Prices"
      • "Excellent Customer Support"

Disadvantages

Fantastic Service From Start To Finish

We ordered our ink yesterday using the economy delivery option, expecting delivery not to be until next week but to our surprise it came this morning. Absolutely fantastic service and friendly staff.

I cannot recommend this company enough, and will be using them consistently from now on.

Thanks guys!

07.07.2015 17:04

Advantages

• "Pink Dolphins"
      • "Evening Entertainment"
      • "Day Trips"
      • "Good shopping"
      • Culture
      • "Lots to see and Do"

Disadvantages

• "It's a long way...."

One of my Favourite Cities

I visited Hong Kong for 5 days a few years back. We had a great time exploring the city both independently and taking excursions. We stayed on Kowloon which is the peninsula part which is joined to mainland China, and were two stops on the underground network from the famous harbour. The Kowloon side is the best side to be at night, for the best views of the light show on Hong Kong Island just across the bay, the lights changed to match the music played a couple of times each evening. In the day, part of this area this was called the Avenue of Stars and there are photo opportunities and good views of the island.

One trip we did was to Lantau Island. The main place to visit here is Po Lin Monastery and vegetarian restaurant and the Tian Tan Buddha who was once the largest outside seated bronze Buddha at 26m high. These days I think there is a cable car, which opened soon after we visited, but we went by van and didn't have to climb the steps (in the picture). Lantau is also great as it is not as developed as far as high rise buildings are concerned. Although the 'traditional' fishing village, Tai O, that we visited was full of modest homes on stilts with satellite dishes the size of a tractor wheel. From Tai O, we got a charter to see the pink dolphins. They were amazing, and although I believe pink dolphins can be found elsewhere, the pod here are endangered. No one knows why they are pink but they are surprising vivid.

One day in Kowloon we went for an early morning Tai Chi lesson by the harbour followed by a visit to the bird market and a Chinese tea ceremony which was very interesting. On the main HK island we visited Happy Valley racecourse one evening on race night. It seems bizarre to be watching horse racing bang in the middle of all those high rise buildings. Another must see is Victoria Peak which can be accessed by tram. You need good weather to get the best views of the city from here, and we were unfortunate in that respect. Stanley is the main ex-pat base and there is a nice beach here if you are looking for some downtime.

We did a day trip to China where we caught a ferry and got to see some sights, a themed show and do some shopping in a massive mall. There are also plenty of markets around HK to visit.

One place we did not visit is the Disney resort as we wanted to do something more unique to the place we were visiting.

07.07.2015 16:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Works great but has a couple of flaws.

We started to look for a baby monitor as soon as our daughter was born. Although she would be sleeping someone, we decided they would be useful for so many circumstances (i.e. hanging the washing up whilst she is sleeping indoors)

We took a long time looking up the spec of each one, then we spotted this monitor, and it was on offer for half price! This was great as we had already given up on the idea of a video monitor due to our budget, so we were very happy to find one so cheap!

The monitor comes with many features including

- screen
      - movement monitor
      - night vision
      - sound
      - "walkie talkie" system to be able to communicate with the baby
      - wiresless option on the parents monitor.
      - thermometer

When you get the monitors they advice that you leave them plugged in to charge before use, which we did.

The screen was nice and clear, temperature acurate, sound was brilliant and all in all was a very good working device. However we did run into a couple of issues. Night vision can be hardwork, if it registers it is dark, but it isn't dark enough, the night vision can switch on too soon and you end up with a bright white screen. Another massive flaw is the option to be able to take the monitor wireless. It lasts 10 minutes if you are lucky! no where near the 40 minutes advertised.

If we had paid full price we would have taken it back based on the poor wireless life. But due to the fact we only paid what a sound-only monitor would cost, we still got more than we paid for.

It does work great, but if you are looking to get full use of the wireless option then this one isn't for you.
      We decided to test the system as soon as it was charged. It

07.07.2015 16:42

Advantages

• "Readily available"
      • Cheap
      • "User friendly"
      • "Can be locked for security"
      • "Stores more files"

Disadvantages

• "Information can be altered when flash memory is stolen"
      • "Virus tend to attack flash memory rapidly"
      • "once information is deleted it is difficult to recover it"
      • "can be lost easily"

The power is in the user to secure the flash memory and reap good benefits

Flash memory is good way one can use to store information such as important files,documents,music and videos for future use,but one must be careful when using flash memory so as to avoid theft and damage to the drive.

• Snickers Bar / Chocolate / 5 Readings / 4 Ratings
      07.07.2015 16:18

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Filling, Tasty Chocolate Bar!

I love chocolate confectionery and I often buy Snickers bars which have been available in the UK for as long as I can remember. I buy these bars in particular when I want something filling or I need an energy boost.

The Snickers bar has rather masculine style packaging with a brown wrapper and bold blue writing. It shows an image of peanuts on the front of the wrapper and although there is much more substance and ingredients to the bar I would primarily think of this as a peanut filled chocolate bar.

The back of the wrapper is printed with some product information including the details that this bar s free from artificial colours, flavours and preservatives. It is also marked as being suitable for vegetarians.

This bar is quite chunky and heavy and it feels like a real mouthful when you bite into it. It's a long chocolate covered slab and inside is a layer of toffee and peanuts whilst on the bottom is a thick roll of white nougat. The peanuts are also crumbled into the nougat layer. The toffee is quite tough and chewy and the peanuts feel like they are quite dried out so they also require a lot of chewing! The nougat is dense and sticky. The overall texture is pleasant and makes you feel like you are eating something substantial.

The flavour of the Snickers is very pleasing with the peanuts being the overriding flavour. The toffee is sharp and sweet whilst the nougat has a creamy, nutty flavour. The chocolate has a distinctive cocoa rich and milky sweet taste which is very satisfying to my sweet tooth.

I would recommend this bar to anyone who loves peanuts and chocolate. I would say this is more of an adult chocolate bar as it is probably quite a mouthful for kids! An individual bar of this cost me 60p on my last purchase.

07.07.2015 16:17

Advantages

• Durability

Disadvantages

• "Wide brush"

Long lasting, well priced mascara!

Similar to a lot of people I am a massive fan of Clinique make up, purely for its quality, durability and beautiful effects. Last year I recieved a tester of Clinique high definition lashes and wasn't expecting anything special due to its reasonably low price in comparison to my previous favorite - Benefit's 'They're Real' which is far more pricey.

The mascara comes in a super simple packaging, a black tube with the Clinique logo and nothing else much. The brush is thick with lots of little fibers, just the same as most mascara brushes. I'm not a massive fan of this kind of brush due to the fact that mascara ends up all over the top of the eye lid due to the thickness of the brush. Despite the basic packaging and bog-standard brush, the formula lasts. I find it extremely hard to find a mascara that doesn't run or smudge in hot weather or simple after a full day's wear, but this one certainly lasts. The length of my eyelashes weren't anything particularly special but the fact that it lasts is enough for me.

My eyelashes are naturally quite long and dark so I don't need anything too drastic therefore this is just the perfect mascara for me. I couldn't comment on how well it works for people with blone lashes but I can imagine it'd work just fine, it isn't at all clumpy or sticky, it goes on perfectly. I will definitely be investing in a larger tube of this mascara and replacing my 'They're Real' by Benefit as it's just so expensive!

• Lobelia Royal Blue / Plant / 4 Readings / 3 Ratings
      07.07.2015 16:04

Advantages

Disadvantages

Bright, Blue and Beautiful!

I first saw this Lobelia Royal Blue plant in the garden of a neighbour and I complimented her on how beautiful and striking it was. She told me it was a Lobelia which I'd never heard of before but the next time I was visiting my local garden centre I saw a plant and purchased it for my own garden.

I would say that this Lobelia is perfect for pots, hanging baskets and for smaller spaces or borders. I have a partially paved front garden with two planted squares and this is the type of plant that really shines in this type of space.They make a really attractive and eye catching display plant wherever they are planted.

The Lobelia produces abundant amounts of small vivid, intense blue flowers which I feel are one of the most striking colours of any flowers in this spectrum. The flowers have a small white streak at their centre which stands out too.

In terms of shape these plants are springy and have a fluffed out shape which makes them look like they are foaming upwards out of the soil. They fill up the space they are planted in. Although they are a 'thick' plant they are quite delicate with thin wispy stems and dainty flowers that seem to be floating on a mass of feathered stems.

These flowers are best planted in a place sheltered from pets as they can easily be trampled down or damaged. The plant I have is quite compact and is planted in a full sun area which seems to suit it very well.

I would recommend to any gardener wanting to plant something visually beautiful and colourful. You can buy these plants at garden centres as well as growing them from seed.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      07.07.2015 15:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

top service

came exactly as ordered and worked right out of the box. excellent communication from pcs, they let me know at what stage the build was by and kept me up to date as things changed. excellent service.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown