• Big Nail Shiner / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      29.07.2014 09:18

Advantages

• "Easy to carry in your bag"
      • "Helps your nails look maintained"
      • "Fantastic price"

Disadvantages

• "May weaken nails"

Polished nails without the polish!

I bought my Big Nail Shiner back in 2012 from The Body Shop and although it’s looking a bit past its best with infrequent use, it still works. Considering it only cost £2 (same price now) I think this is fantastic value for money and it’s one of those staple beauty items I will continue to buy.

There are three parts to the Shiner to smooth, buff and shine the nails. Starting with the dark grey portion you lightly file the whole of the nail bed to remove any unwanted lines or bumps, then using the other end (a lighter grey), buff over the nail which helps remove the filings before using the other side to shine the nails. When I’ve finished my nails they usually look like they have a coat of clear varnish on.

The main reason I use the shiner isn’t really for that clear varnish look but to ensure when I put a solid colour polish on that it looks even – it really helps to give you a good surface to start on or you may end up putting additional coats of polish on to cover up the imperfections. If you have a lot of ridges on your nails you do have to be very careful because over filing/smoothing can weaken the nails and cause them to split. It only takes me about 10 seconds per nail (if that) for each of the three parts and if you do want to up-keep, The Body Shop recommends using the dark grey/lighter grey sections every two weeks and you can use the shiner section anytime. I just use mine whenever I have a special occasion.

Another reason my Shiner has lasted so long is because it’s a decent length too. I think it also helps it came in an acetate sleeve so it can be taken anywhere without damaging other items or being damaged. One of the good things, and perhaps one of the downsides too is when using any part of the Shiner close to my cuticles it really doesn’t damage the skin around my nails. There are times when I feel like I can’t get close enough to the cuticle though.

Over time the edges of the Shiner do start to curl or get ripped and the darker grey section may not be quite so rough but if you take care of it, it really can last a decent length of time. It’s easy to carry in your bag and very handy for holidays if you want that polished look without having to take nail polish and remover with you.

29.07.2014 08:59

Advantages

• "Doesn't take up loads of room"
      • "Get dishes really clean"

Disadvantages

• "No quick wash"

Good space saving option

I haven’t always had a dishwasher so it was something that was top of my list when I was getting my new kitchen fitted. With a husband and 2 young children we go through a lot of dishes and it was always left to me to have to wash and dry them so I was very excited to get a dishwasher.

We chose an Indesit dishwasher and the only reason for this was because it was in budget and we already had an Indesit oven and hob.
      We don’t have a massive kitchen so we needed to plan carefully to make sure that we could fit everything in that we wanted. Originally my husband tried to convince me to give up on the dishwasher but I stood my ground and we compromised on getting a slimmer one instead. This is a slimline machine and is compact and takes up less room than most dishwashers do.

There isn’t a huge amount of room inside but it has room for 10 place settings so you can get in 10 plates, saucers, cups etc. I have found that even when I have more dishes with a little bit of jigging around I can fit more in the machine anyway. I would never say this is huge but even being smaller than average there should still be enough space for most families though you may notice that you are using it every day instead of filling it as you go along and turning it on every couple of days.

The two trays in the dishwasher feel sturdy and are smooth at coming in and out and don’t get stuck. There is also a cutlery tray which can be removed so you can carry it full to your cutlery drawer instead of having to stand at the machine and take out the cutlery individually. I love the fact that the top tray is height adjustable as it means that I can fit in even bulky pans to wash instead of having to do them by hand.

The programming on the dishwasher couldn’t be easier to use and there aren’t hundreds of settings to choose from. You just press the button to turn the machine on and then choose what setting you want and there are only 4 to choose from.
      When dishes have been through the cycle they come out clean and sparkly and there is very few times that I have been emptying the dishwasher and noticed any bits of food still stuck on the dishes.

The only thing that I don’t like about this dishwasher is that it takes absolutely ages to go through a cycle. This does mean that it cleans really well but it isn’t so good when you are wanting to use the dishes that are in it.
      There is no short programme and all the ones on it take about 2 hours to go through a cycle while the eco one takes 3 hours!

• LG G2 / Smartphone / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      29.07.2014 01:17

Advantages

• "Good build quality"
      • "Long battery life"
      • "Good resolution"
      • "Good size screen"
      • "Good design"
      • "Good camera"
      • "Android OS"

Disadvantages

• "Akward volume buttons"

A truly Cracking phone for a very affordable price!

The LG G2 is a good phone, although it may not be right for some of you. The screen is vivid and clear running with a 1080p resolution so it scores good there although the standard resolution on phones will most likely move onto 2k soon as the first phones are starting to appear on the market with that. The Snapdragon 800 processor makes this phone quite fast and the above average 13 MP camera is also a great little edition. The powerful battery will last you up to 900 hours on standby or around 17.5 hours of talk time. Though the power and volume buttons are on the back of the phone, which could take some getting used to as its fairly unusual on smartphones although that could be an advantage in the unique category. Also LG decided to add a bunch of extra apps to the LG G2 which may or may not come in handy whilst also giving you the ability to disable but you cannot uninstall them. Although this phone has no micro sd slot, which means no storage expansion, it still comes with good storage starting at 32Gb then 64Gb which is really all you need. It's OS is the latest android which in my opinion is far better than Apple's iOS. But thats down to personal preference I guess. All in all a cracking phone boasting a very good OS, good camera and an all round fast performance.

29.07.2014 00:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Gradually loses heat"
      • Heavy
      • Bulky

Overall, a good idea for heating on the go. But only for short trips.

When my youngest was born, I was surprised to discover that the method of making up bottles of formula had changed. Bottles now need to be made 'on demand' rather than making up bottles of cooled boiled water before adding formula when needed (as I did with my daughter).

In the early days (before we ventured outside the house!), I'd make on demand by boiling the kettle, adding formula and rapid cooling in a bottle of ice cold water. After those initial first days, we invested in the Tommee Tippee 'Perfect Prep' machine. Of course this clever gadget isn't transportable when out and about so we had to research another solution and found the travel bottle warmer. What's more, our son had got used to lukewarm milk and wouldn't take the ready made milk we planned to use when out unless it was his usual temperature.

The travel warmer contains a screw-able plastic lid which doubles up as a jug to add the water stored in the metal travel warmer. Operating the same as a thermos flask, you press a button and pour in to the plastic lid/jug.

We'd fill the travel warmer with boiling hot water and put in the changing bag before leaving the house. When needed, we'd pour the water in to the jug, make up the sterilised bottle with readymade milk and warm the bottle up. This worked well for us as often it'd take a few minutes to get the milk to the ideal temperature if used in the first few hours.

A huge disadvantage of this is how bulky it is! Luckily I had a very big changing bag, so the weight was more of an issue. If we were only out for a few hours, this worked as a perfect solution! However, if out for longer the water would lose its heat quite rapidly (especially if using multiple times as opening it would cause loss of heat).

Priced at around £10, its an ideal solution for warming bottles on the go. Take away its bulkiness and gradual heat loss, its good.

We've now managed to wean our son off warm milk (he seems to be less fussy now he's a little older) so no longer use the travel warmer.

29.07.2014 00:38

Advantages

• "Fantastic costume and makeup"
      • "Diverse characters"
      • "A lot of suspense"
      • Realistic

Disadvantages

• "Gets frustrating"
      • "A lot of sudden shocks"
      • Gory

Not just any zombie programme

Now this isn't just your typical zombie film where the whole thing is about killing zombies, this series is something different. Nobody knows how the apocalypse started but in my opinion this is how life would be for the living if a zombie apocalypse did happen. The meaning behind the name is that "The Walking Dead" aren't actually the zombies or "walkers" they are actually the people trying to survive out there.
      The main character Rick is brilliant you get a real attachment to him and really sympathise with him because he's not just in it for himself he wants to help literally everyone he can. There are a few characters that are just as cool and smart as Rick however his wife and a few other characters just really get on your nerves with how stupid they are and when they do ridiculous things to risk other peoples lives.
      One thing I must say is that they have got the costumes and makeup down to a T. The zombies look so realistic it's scary and each of the characters are dressed accordingly to who they are. It isn't all about the zombies though we actually see more personal storylines between the characters that would happen without the zombies being there but obviously the situation makes it about 10 times more difficult for them. There is a lot of death and I don't mean by just the walkers, people kill each other a lot in this series as well because it focuses on how people and humanity change being put in a particular situation and how some people would risk anything to save their family or even another person they've just become friends with.
      Now this isn't for the faint hearted. If you are scared of horror films or programmes I wouldn't advise it, if you have a weak stomach and don't like seeing people's vital organs being torn out of them or zombies with half of their face chewed off then I'd recommend something else. However if you can hack the horror and gore scenes then it really is a great watch.

29.07.2014 00:25

Advantages

• Educational
      • Fun
      • Engaging
      • Bright

Disadvantages

• "Lack of spinning butterflies!"
      • "Thin mat"

A brilliant addition to the Fisher Price Rainforest range.

When looking for a baby gym, I wanted something bright and engaging. I came across this and fell in love with it straight away! It ticked all the boxes, with all the features you'd expect from a baby play gym and more. We've been using the baby gym for 9 weeks now and have come across more advantages/disadvantage that I hadn't previously considered when buying.

The baby gym comes in a handy bag with a handle. I presume this is to carry it around when travelling. It is packaged in three pieces - the mat and two arches (which has various colourful animals attached to loops). It is very easy to assemble with useful instructions and all you have to do is add batteries (situated inside the giraffe), click the two arches together (one sits under the other) and slide the ends of each ends of the arches in to the holes in the mat.

There is a musical box situated on the top of the baby gym which controls the sounds. It has various settings:

1. Continuous music and jungle sounds (controlled by sliding the yellow switch to the music symbol sign).
      2. Triggered music and jungle sounds (controlled by sliding the yellow switch to the rattle sign). The music triggers when baby moves any of the toys on the arches and it plays for about 10 seconds.

Both settings trigger the lights situated under the box to glow, which creates a soothing environment for the baby. The blue switch is an on/off and sound button.

Aesthetically the mat lived up to my expectations. It is so colourful and features lots of animals. It comes with a pelican (which rattles), butterflies (which dangle down - I did expect these to spin so was a little disappointed to find out they don't). penguin (with a spinning wheel), a dangling monkey, elephant (with spinning bead rattle) and the giraffe has a colourful big mirror hanging from its mouth. The mat features a stream and more colourful animal decor making it altogether very engaging for a baby.

The mat itself has lots of hooks (along with the arches) which means you can reposition the toys depending on the age of the baby (on mat for tummy time for instance). I can imagine this will be very useful in the future.

Overall, I am pleased with the mat but feel it isn't worth the RRP of £59.99. However, its often on promotion and you can usually get it for the £35 - £40 mark which is reasonable. The mat could improve with the addition of spinning butterflies and perhaps the mat itself could be more plushy. I have to place the mat under another to ensure my baby is comfortable. It matches the other Fisher Price Rainforest items which is nice.

29.07.2014 00:21

Advantages

• "Good actors and actresses"
      • "Emotional impact"
      • "Diverse and well thought characters"
      • "Brilliant storylines"
      • "Witty comedy"

Disadvantages

• "Too much sex at times"
      • Violence

Absolutely fantastic, highly recommend.

I have to say Game Of Thrones has to be one of the most fantastic, if not THE most fantastic, series I have ever seen. Usually I stick to comedy or crime genre's to be perfectly honest but everyone was talking about how good Game Of Thrones was so I thought I'd watch it. So glad I did.
      The places used for filming are spectacular and fit the actual storyline perfectly and in Game Of Thrones nothing is too strange (they have winters for 9 years). The actors and actresses chosen for the characters also fit the role perfectly; Sean Bean plays a great Ned Stark and Emilia Clarke is outstanding as Daenerys Targaryen to name but a couple of the great talents featured.
      Now to put Game Of Thrones in simple terms it's basically houses fighting for the iron throne and everyone is convinced they are the rightful king. Along with that thought it's also a lot of people and animals being beheaded, Tyrion Lannister being clever and far too witty and a lot of unnecessary sex scenes. Also if you're watching a scene with Jon Snow in just expect repetitive use of a particular swearword (in literally every scene). You also get so attached to the characters that it's painful watching someone be sneaky to them or hurt them it's like they are one of your friends. Then there's other characters where you wish you were in the series just so you could scream at them.
      I must advise that while watching Game Of Thrones to have a lot of time on your hands so you can watch a few episodes as it gets very addictive and sometimes you can sit in college or at work thinking about what's going to happen next. Also if you are following the series and you've missed an episode block yourself from all social media until you've seen it as social media explodes when a new season starts. It's a very compelling series and the box set is worth every penny. I'm currently rewatching the whole series and I'm on to the seconds season as my boyfriend, who refused to watch it at first and said he hated it, is now currently hooked and I'm not even bored rewatching it. It's difficult to follow so pay attention to all the characters, their families and their alliances or when something happens you may be wondering why and get confused but I would highly recommend this to anyone. Not just fantasy fans or those who enjoy HBO shows, to absolutely everyone. Apart from children of course.

28.07.2014 23:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

Just okay

I received this a few months ago as a birthday present from my friend. I do not tend to purchase celebrity brands myself due to the fact that they are never as good as the bigger and experienced brands.

I was given the gift set version of the perfume that comes with the body lotion. The packaging was pretty generic and typical, like any other perfume gift set that you would get.

The scent of the perfume is very fruity, like super fruity. In my opinion it is a bit too fruity and is definitely the most fruity perfume I have ever smelt!

I find that the smell does not last that long at all. I literally sprayed the perfume on me and then roughly about 30 minutes later it had sinked into my clothes and I could not really smell any of the perfume. There is a very faint smell that slightly lingers but it is not the way that you want it to be when applying perfume. I suppose it does give a pleasant smell which is good if you are looking for something that is not overwhelming at all but still makes you smell nice.

The bottle, to me, looks cheap. I think the brand was trying to create a look that looks expensive and of quality but unfortunately I do not think that they pulled it off successfully.

The main negative of this perfume for me was that the scent does not last long. You have to keep topping it up, which is very frustrating.

28.07.2014 22:59

Advantages

Disadvantages

Pretty woman the movie , a touching film for all ages

This is one of my most favourite films going. It is so beautiful and emotional especially at the very end of the film. It is an old classic and is very popular in my family. Most of us have watched it around 8 - 10 times now. That is how much we love this film. The main actors in this film are Julia Roberts ( who plays the lead girl ) and Richard gear ( who plays the main man ) . Together they make a great couple. The film is about two people who meet and fall in love. My favourite part of the film is the shopping scene. It is hilarious and so magical. I wish it could happen to me in real life. This film has an amazing ending which you do not expect. There will be some tears but it is worth it. Hope it helps x x Imogen

• WESC Oboe Headphones / Headphones / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      28.07.2014 22:56

Advantages

Disadvantages

Stylish and short-lived

I bough these because they look like a very stylish alternative to some probaby more functional Bose headphones I had. For a price of £40 they have served me well, however my main gripe is their poor life span.

so I've purchased these twice, only because the first set done what all headphones love to do and go in one ear. I thought that this was just going to be the case with crappy in ears or the regular iPhone headphones but I was wrong.

don't get me wrong, these headphones produce excellent sound quality and love the base. mid tones are clear and concise and high notes don't screech but maintain its sound.

I listen to a range of genres from rock and ro to dubstep and hip hop, it was essential that I have great sound quality. these were recommended to me by a friend who has gone through his fair share of headphones simply cause he likes the variation, seinheisser, beats, Bose.

for there price they're quality bass ear muffs, and I say that because they suffocate your head and apply pressure. I found that I was getting headaches and they made you hot too.

for the price maybe I shouldn't of expected too much and they are good for price. Overall I have been satisfies with these headphones but their lifespan has let them down, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who is not prepared to deal with the warranty information (definitely get a warranty, it should be around 3 pounds).

• New Look Retailers Ltd / Employment / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      28.07.2014 22:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great place to get clothes , new look

New look is one of my favourite shops to buy clothes for holidays or just average days. There is something for everyone there. There are many different clothes for adults for different shapes and sizes. They also have a wide selection of kids clothes. I recently managed to get lots oh holiday clothes for my young daughter and I also managed to get her a lovely prom dress . The clothes come in many different sizes. The prices of the clothes are very affordable. They also sell shoes at a very cheap price. The changing rooms are very spacious so trying stuff on is nice. The lighting in the changing rooms is amazing. Also , the staff there are incredibly friendly and helpful. Overall I think new look is a great shop for people any age or any size. I would dfinitely have a nip in there next time xxx Imogen

28.07.2014 22:39

Advantages

Disadvantages

Bourjois pot blusher , great range of colour

This blusher is by the brand bourjois. These have been around for almost 150 years which is a very long time. Bourjois is sold all around the uk in shops like boots and superdrug. Their blushers are usually very reasonably priced at around £7 which isn't too bad compared to places like mac or bobbi brown. The packaging is very basic yet chic. It is a small plastic pot. The colour of the pot depends on the colour of the blush. The blush itself is circular in shape and is a small dome. The product comes with a small brush which is actually great quality and easy to apply the product with. In the lid there is also a decent size mirror which is perfect throughout the day for touch ups. Overall I would definitely recommend buying this product. The main reason is that there is a shade for everyone.

• Peppa Pig Headphones / Headphones / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      28.07.2014 22:32

Advantages

Disadvantages

Didn't fit, disappointed

Backstory: I bought these headphones for a young girl who is very fon of peppa pig. Being young, she had little knowledge and didn't care much about sound quality so I thought these would be a nice little gift .

I bought these after a long search for headphones that are not too large for a child's head and I believed the product description which makes a point of saying they are designed for small heads. However they basically seem to be just adult sized headphones and are too large for my 6 year old's normal sized head. They actually fit me at their smallest size, there is about a 2cm gap between the top of my daughter's head and the band (I'll try to upload a photo of her wearing them). I gave them one star because I am now looking at my daughter listening to music whilst holding them so they don't fall off, they are not child sized headphones, and at their largest they would probably fit a horse. I realise they were cheap so I can't really deduct any more stars for their quality which is really poor (both build and sound quality) but its worth a mention.

I have been disappointed with these headphones being the techie that I am, but also because they don't fit a child, the demographic they were designed for! I certainly won't be wearing them because they don't fit her either! I didn't expect much, and I also didn't get much.

• Scholl Express Pedi / Leg & Foot Care / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      28.07.2014 21:58

Advantages

• "Battery operated"
      • "No pain"
      • "Smooth feet"

Disadvantages

• "not as good as a manual foot file"

Just a lazy tool!

I was so exited when I had seen the advert for this product - I thought what a brilliant idea! A pedicure within minutes a way to save time and effort. When I Recieved the item I was thrilled and have a go straight away, I watched videos on youtube to find out how people used them. A bit self explanatory really but never mind. The item comes as a small handle with a space at the top to click in the roller and batteries to operate. My first thought about this - very bulky! It's quite fiddly to use especially trying to use it in different angles. I found it quite heavy after a while. So after a few mintues of filing I still felt it wasn't enough and I kept going, it was painless but it got boring after a whole it seemed like it was taking forever! I look after my feet and have them in good nick so I defiantly thought it took longer than it should have. I plowed on until my feet felt smooth .. They were great. A few days later whilst washing my feet I noticed they felt quite rough so I found myself going through the same process off using it again. After a few weeks I decided to try a normally foot file and I honestly couldn't believe the difference in my feet - always stick to a hand foot file!! Wish I hadn't wasted £30 but it was worth a try!

28.07.2014 20:52

Advantages

• "Don't feel sticky"
      • "Kind to my skin"
      • "They remove make up well"

Disadvantages

• "None really "

NIce wipes and a nice clean face

I use all types of wet cleansing wipes for taking my make up off at the end of the day. I usually buy Johnson's wipes but I love to use Olay Essentials Wet Cleansing Wipes and they are currently on offer in Tescos - buy one and get the other half price. I have picked up, naturally, as I sue these every day and so i get through quite a lot of them.

The reason I like them so much is that they really do remove all traces of my make up - even waterproof mascara. They are nicely fragranced, kind to my skin and they do not make my skin feel sticky or tacky when I have used them, as some other cheaper brands can do.

They stay nice and moist right to the end of the pack and they are large and fairly robust so I can give my face a good scrub and I know they are not going to fall apart.

Overall, wd recommend them as they are a brand that I definitely trust and they are well worth a try if you haven't used this brand before.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown