• DFS Sofas / Furniture / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      07.05.2015 00:38

Advantages

• "Practical colour"
      • "Stayed in good repair"

Disadvantages

• "Not as comfy as expected"
      • "Too large"

Not our best purchasing choice.

We purchased the Zina large three seater sofa around five years ago from the DFS retailer.

Before buying we looked at many sofas and tried sitting on many. It did seem very comfortable in the store.

We also wanted a sofa which was a sofa bed as we thought that this would be useful in our home.
      The salesman was helpful and demonstrated how to pull the sofa bed out.

We decided to buy our furniture in a plain charcoal fabric with a grey swirl trim and dark wood feet. Two small co-ordinating small cushions came with the sofa. These are plain on one side and have the swirl trim on the other.
      The furniture arrived as promised but took three delivery men to bring it in and set it up.
      After owning this sofa for a few months we decided that it wasn't as good as we had expected. To be fair, in terms of staying nice and in good repair it has been very good but in terms of comfort we aren't all that pleased. The arms come up quite high meaning it isn't very comfy.
      The cushions are comfortable enough though.

It was a good and practical colour choice, in my opinion.

When used as a bed it is quite good as far as sofa beds go. Probably it is better than many.
      I also think that this sofa is too large and I wish that I had chosen a smaller and more compact design so that I had more space in my living room. We should have realised before purchasing that the wing arms sweep out too widely and therefore they take up far too much space.

• badoo.com / Internet Site / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      07.05.2015 00:28

Advantages

• Free

Disadvantages

• Working-class

Knocking shop

Dating and community apps are now the number one place people meet. They are definitely the method to get some nookie these days. They are the ONLY method to get some nookie these days! Getting a date with a nice Middle Class girl today is like trying to take out a mortgage! People simply don’t go out anymore and the bars are quiet and very much social media our social lives. It’s depressing. The days of young people meeting a girl or boy in the pub are very rare. We have simply lost that skill of the chat up. I’m not shy of approaching women with some cheeky banter but you are often seen as a ‘perv’ if you attempt to chat up pretty women out and about these days.

In my hometown of Northampton a mind boggling 51% of households are classed as single. The marriage rate is tumbling nationally and a record number of single women are out there. It’s really quite sad. One social commentator suggested that more and more women are throwing themselves into their careers because they can’t meet an eligible bachelor because the men generally prefer looks and body over brains and so career achievement replaces marriage and babies. The pretty ones get married young to the well educated guys and so don’t have to worry about careers and paying the mortgage.

As soon as I got my first smartphone I was intrigued to see how these location dating apps work. After some messing around I discovered that Tinder is the most popular of this type of dating app. I also discovered that if you have the inferior Windowsphone, which I have, you can’t get anywhere near as many cool apps as the android and apple phones, meaning you can’t get Tinder, meaning you can only get Badoo. Badoo is the windowsphone Tinder, be it tad less middle-class. The appeal of Tinder is it tells you roughly where the person you like is to your facility. Obviously not their address but within a one mile radius. If you pay for add on’s I believe there is one setting where it will identify other people at the dinner party who are also on tinder and the same pay level. Once you press a button to reveal your exact location it gets interesting. But they can also see where you are so no fibbing. I always liked the idea of a dating site where you could tell just by looking at someone in the street if they were single or not.

We all know most dating apps are full of weirdoes, fake profiles….prostitutes and bored middle aged couples looking for a bunk up. Although it’s been debated here I am none of the above. I have never dated anyone from a dating site. When you browse Badoo it seems like a tattoo competition as every working-class woman in Britain is on there. The Tina’s and Tanya’s cram themselves into their tightest little black dress and naughty underwear to hook up with the nations Deans and Dave’s. Each to their own but this place is not going to move the gene pool on.

The site is pitched as a ‘community’ but it’s an out and out knocking shop. You have two options to browse. One is to set your age and location parameters for likewise potential partners nearby and message them. The website is free for basic functionality and so no charge on contacting other people although you can only do ten a day. The second option is to rate pictures as hot or not and that comes up as a search to the person you rate and so they see that you rated them. A yes is taken as you want to meet them and a No is taken as don’t contact me.

As with all dating sites if you pay money you get more prominence and access to the hot totty. They get to pick from the payers and non payers. These services are often used by covert prostitutes to sell their trade and so dominate that category on some dating sites. You also get dating sites that pinch profiles from other websites to fill out their inventory. Some of the women in the profile pictures on here who profess to be from Wigan in those profiles are clearly living in the Ukraine and no nothing about being on Badoo. The only way to truly ever know if the person you are talking is that person hasn’t put on 100 pounds and ten years older is to webcam. Unless you both webcam don’t meet them, and as you all have webcams on your smartphones now then there is no excuse. A lot of people are fake on these sites and just want phonesex or far worse. The majority of stranger murders in the last ten years have involved social media contact.

• Sony SRS D211 / PC Speaker / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      07.05.2015 00:13

Advantages

• Compact
      • "Good for the price "

Disadvantages

Decent speakers for the PC

My husband purchased these speakers a good few years ago for our old PC. They have lasted very well and we are still using them on our newer and current desktop PC.
      My husband likes Sony as a brand; it is one of his favourites. He thought that we should get some decent speakers for the PC so that when we played music, as we often do, via the desktop PC, it would sound better than it did without the external speakers.
      He also watches live football sometimes on the PC so the speakers do tend to make viewing sport a better experience when the sounds are good being more realistic and life like.
      This speakers system would also be very good for gaming but our desktop PC isn't very often used for games.

For the price paid the sound emitted from the speakers is good.

The set is wired and it consists of two speakers, a console and a subwoofer.
      It looks good in black and silver.

The subwoofer is the biggest piece in the set and he control console is fairly compact. The speakers are small and round and don’t take up too much room on a PC desk.

The overall wattage is 35w.

The console controls the speakers and they can be turned on and off via this device. There is also a volume and a base control.

Our speakers where purchased from PC World. We paid around £40.00.

We have had no complaints or problems with these speakers and would recommend them.

SPECIFICATIONS

Overall weight 7kg
      Dimensions 52 X 36.8 x 25.4cm
      Wattage 35 watts

07.05.2015 00:01

Advantages

• "Cheap for using to wash dish cloths "

Disadvantages

• "The powder never washes out "

Ok if you're on a budget but the powder will never dissolves

This is a quick and cheap alternative to using teh expensive brands, if like me you like to wash your dish cloths by hand for a quick clean. However, don't try it with clothes, or in the washing machine, the powder never seems to come out. I tried washing my clothes in for a while and noticed when i shook my clothes, the was a lot powder remaining. I noticed a few later, I was getting pimples on my shoulders and back. It was a reaction to the product. So I only stick to using this for dish cloths and if I wash the floor I use it in the water, but again, I have to usually brush up the powder residue as it never seems to dissolve. Doesn't smell very nice either.

06.05.2015 23:57

Advantages

• "Quick and easy "

Disadvantages

• "pods can be a bit expensive "

A quick convenient machine for an amazing espresso or coffee if you like.

The stylish nespresso machine is a small, and convenient addition to your kitchen appliances if you're a coffee lover (like me). It is really quick to make a coffee and has two settings where if you want an espresso or a coffee like the americano. Its convenient because the pods are available from places like aldi, for a fraction of the price to what nespresso sells them at, however the taste os not quite the same. Th best coffee bods I have found are the ones from Waitrose. The convenience is that you get the cheaper option, however if the machine breaks down, your warranty will be invalidated. So stick to the nespresso pods. Also, the other problem is, I live in Sheffield so I have to go all the way to the Trafford in Manchester to buy them, or order them online instead. The machine does come with a selection of pods for free, so make sure you make a note of the flavours you like, or you'll be stuck when it comes to buying your own.

06.05.2015 21:52

Advantages

• "Soft scoop "
      • "Great taste"
      • "Lower fat "

Disadvantages

Delicious and good value ice cream

I love ice cream and for me the one that really reminds me of my childhood is Walls vanilla. I realised I hadn't had any for ages because I keep forking out for Ben & Jerry's. They are gorgeous but I thought I could make my own special ice cream by using the lovely Walls vanilla as a base and add in lots of toppings or sprinkles, and make my own creation and save money at the same time. I found a big 1.8l tub of the lighter Walls Vanilla in Tesco for 2 pounds, and I didn't even notice it was a low fat version. I was a bit worried it would not taste as yummy as normal Walls but it is delish!

This is 33% less fat than the regular walls but it tastes just as creamy. The texture is lovely and smooth so it scoops up perfectly straight from the freezer. The soft scoop means it is dead easy to mix in any extra naughty bits like cookie dough or choc chips and you can have a fancy looking ice cream ready in no time. But on it's own it has a lovely vanilla taste, that is no too rich or sickly so it is perfect for all the family. You will never know you are eating a fat reduced ice cream, as it totally looks and tastes the business. I know if you are on a diet you shouldn't go anywhere near ice cream as this might have less fat in but it still isn't low fat. But we all need a treat sometimes and this is a great way to cool down.

I would definitely recommend this as it is great value and great tasting too.

06.05.2015 21:40

Advantages

• "Long lasting effect"
      • "Soaks in well and cools skin"

Disadvantages

Soothe your skin after sunbathing

I always use aftersun when I have been out in the sun even if I don't feel particularly burnt as I tend to peel very quickly if I don't use it also I think there is nothing more refreshing than having a shower and then applying some lovely cool aftersun which is why I often pop it in the fridge before use which really does make a difference.

This Clarins after sun is in a bright orange tube and it is 150ml with a flip top. I paid £11.95 but I had used it before so I knew how good it was. The recommended retail price is £17.99 but you can get it cheaper from the website I used and you can also pick it up a bit cheaper on Amazon and Ebay.

It has a lovely fresh and slightly sweet smell and the lotion itself is thick and creamy but it does absorb well into your skin. This aftersun is suitable for both body and face so you don't have to bother with using another product. It does really seem to sink into my skin and if I have been out in the sun for too long and am feeling a bit sore it does soothe it and leaves it feeling soft and smooth. It does leave a very slight sheen on your skin so probably wouldn't be suitable for men, (which is good as I can keep it all to myself).

The lotion doesn't run off your hands when you are applying it but it does rub in to your skin easily and smoothly and doesn't leave your skin feeling sticky or greasy. This aftersun is lovely and soothing but even nicer when it is cooled beforehand in the fridge. You can get cheaper products but this one feels quite luxurious and does a great job of moisturising and soothing my skin and as you don't seem to have to use much at a time it will last me for ages. I think this is a great product and I would definitely buy it again.

06.05.2015 21:12

Advantages

• "smells amazing"

Disadvantages

• "slightly too heavy"

great if used sparingly

I started using the TRESemme heat defence styling spray after cutting my
      hair much shorter and having to style it more often. I now use heated irons
      at least twice per week and was worried about the damage it would do to my
      hair.

With the number of heat protection products on offer, this purchase was
      something of a pot luck choice. At around £3.50 I felt it wasn't too
      expensive but wasn't the cheapest on the shelf so might be a good option. I
      think it usually retails for around £5 but it was on offer when I was
      buying it.

The spray comes in a black plastic bottle with a pump spray lid. Usefully,
      the lid has a locking mechanism to prevent spills. The bottle is black with
      purple writing and has quite a stylish design. Info on the bottle explains
      that the spray contains a heat activated complex to help protect hair when
      drying and straightening.

The spray lid works well producing a thin mist allowing you to evenly apply
      the product. At first, I was tempted to apply quite a lot of spray to
      ensure my hair was well protected before styling but I found that this
      would leave my hair a bit lank and greasy feeling so now I only use the
      spray sparingly.

So far (I have only been using it for a few months), my impression has been
      that it has helped to avoid heat damage from drying and straightening. My
      hair still looks healthy and the ends have not become dry or split.
      However, even if it didn’t protect my hair, I would continue using it
      simply for the fragrance. It smells amazing!!

So overall I would recommend this product with the added advice to use
      sparingly.

• Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB / Smartphone / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      06.05.2015 19:24

Advantages

• fast
      • "thing and light"
      • "big screen"

Disadvantages

• "battery "

brilliant all round phone

i have had this phone for well over a year now on contract with o2 for the price of 26 pounds a month, however i believe you could get a far cheaper rate now with all the upgrades that have been brought out. i like to have new up to date phones however since having this phone i haven't seen the need to upgrade it does almost everything you need it to do, unless you are a fan of gaming on your phone then you may have small troubles with big games like marvel contest of champions.

as far as sound is concerned the quality of the music played through it is very good however i have heard much louder phones but if you are not to bothered about blasting out music on your phone then this is not an issue.

the speed of the phone is very good and in my eyes still keeps up with some of the newer models even though companies go on about how much better the newer models are. when in reality their only slightly better than the previous and only is some aspects.

the screen is a very good size and takes up most of the phone except from the home button at the bottom. the screen is very responsive even for my big fingers haha. another good aspect of this phone is that the screen and the monitor behind it arent one piece so if you break your screen which can always happen then it is easy to replace.

the one downside i have with this phone is the battery life which is a problem with most smat phones however they are easy to replace i really think it's just because my battery has run its course

06.05.2015 19:09

Advantages

• stylish
      • warm

Disadvantages

• "absorb water"

practical and fun for the kids

This glove and hat set are great for my nephew as he is just turning 4 and loves spiderman and basically anything to do with superheroes especially with all the new films coming out and merchandise surrounding them in the shops. my nephew likes to think that if he wears an item of clothing that has a superhero on it, e.g batman or spiderman then he becomes that superhero so i buy him as much as i can because its funny to watch how he changes when he has them on. anyway back to the product, it is good to see that they are in trend with what age group they are addressing which means most of the times children won't fight you about putting them on as i know a lot of children don't like to wear hats. however their is a small problem that once they become wet they absorb and retain water very easily making the child's hands to become cold therefore if you are planning on using these use them in dry but cold conditions, as waterproof gloves would be better suited to raining conditions.
      all in all i think they are a good purchase and for a reasonable price too, the color is good and matches the image to a tee. just make sure you use them in the right conditions to get the optimal use out of them because we all know how easy it is to loose gloves once we take them off a child when they get too wet.

06.05.2015 19:06

Advantages

Disadvantages

Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Eau de Parfum

The Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Eau de Parfum is available from GBP 22.00. The Eau de Parfum comes in 50 ml, 75 ml and 100 ml sprays.

The Eau de Parfum was created by Francis Kurkdjian and launched in 1999.

The Eau de Parfum comes in a light green flacon. On the flacon is the product name and additional product information. The flacon contains 50 ml.

The Eau de Parfum is described as follows. "From a lush green world of freshness comes Elizabeth Arden Green Tea, the uplifting fragrance that energizes the body, excites the senses and revives the spirit."

The Eau de Parfum is fresh with an aromatic, citrus scent. At the beginning the scent of bergamot, lemon and mint can be noticed. Followed by the scent of jasmin and oakmoss. The scent of green tea and musk can be perceived. The intensity is soft. The main accords are citrus and fresh.

The top notes are rhubarb, mint, orange peel, bergamot and lemon. Followed by the middle notes carnation, musk, jasmine, oakmoss, white amber and fennel. The base note consists of caraway, amber, musk, green tea, jasmine, cloves, oakmoss and celery seeds.

The Eau de Parfum does not last at aoll and is not long-lasting. The longevity is weak.

I cannot recommend the Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Eau de Parfum, as it is not long-lasting and the intensity is soft. The scent is aromatic, citrus and the scent of green tea can be noticed.

06.05.2015 19:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

Tommy Hilfiger Tommy Girl Eau de Toilette

The Tommy Hilfiger Tommy Girl Eau de Toilette is available for GBP 30.00.

The Eau de Toilette is described as follows. "Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger is a floral, fruity fragrance for women. Tommy Girl portrays today's young woman: lively, independent and natural. Fresh top notes are black currant, camelia, mandarin orange and apple tree blossom; young, energizing middle notes are honeysuckle, lily, violet, mint, grapefruit, citruses and rose. The sensual base note is created with magnolia, rose, sandalwood, jasmine and cedarwood."

The fragrance notes may be a floral-fruity "pink" fragrance expect more surprised I was almost biting citrus notes, which rose after the first spraying me in the nose. The ferocity of the opener flies but quite fast, but the citrus notes over many hours is so present that it is difficult for me, with his description of the fragrance to give the manufacturer as "flowery" law - rose, violet and jasmine I perceive though, they but for my nose anything but character essential for the fragrance. For me he is a citrusy-fresh scent with Sauber for an eau de toilette incredibly good durability (especially in this scent, I know a few perfumes with as much perseverance). The scent does not change during this time great, is only a little softer. A Masterpiece I smell here honestly do not, however, a very pleasing fragrance that refreshes and never offend. Those who like to smell clean and citrusy-dynamically here gets an absolute test recommendation from me. Tommy Girl is a stimulant in the morning - because he is not sugared, I find him very acceptable also for women who have already celebrated their anniversary so many teenage years.

06.05.2015 18:24

Advantages

• "Lovely fragrance which lasts"
      • "Leaves hair soft and tangle free"

Disadvantages

Conditioning balm for softer hair

I have always bought quite a lot of products from Avon as I have found that they have some really good offers on, and also I like the fact that I can sit at home or at work and decide what I want and then a bag of goodies is delivered to me the next week without me having to traipse around the shops. I bought this Almond oil and Avocado moisturising and conditioning balm for just £1.25 for a 250ml tub which was on offer at the time.

It comes in a cream coloured tub with a screw lid and a picture of half an avocado and some almonds on the front so it is quite obvious what it is. It is from the Naturals hair care range which it says on the front and also that it is for healthy hydration. It also has a low PH and it is suitable for all hair types. On the back it tells you that you need to use it within twelve months of opening, but I am sure I will use it much sooner than this.

The balm itself is a light peachy colour and as soon as you open the lid you can smell a lovely sweet and quite fruity smell. It is quite thick in consistency and you can scoop it out of the tub and not worry that it will drip as you are applying it to your hair.

I find that about a ten pence size blob of the balm is enough for my shoulder length hair and this gives me enough coverage for my whole head. It feels thick and quite rich as you are rubbing it in and my hair feels softer straight away. When I am happy that I have covered all my hair and scalp I will then usually leave it for a few minutes and then rinse it off.

I do like this conditioning balm and find that it suits my hair very well and leaves it clean, soft and smelling lovely and also tangle free and I find that I can get my comb or brush straight through as I am drying it. I would definitely buy this balm again and I do recommend it as a good value quality hair balm which is suitable for all the family.

• Samsung Series 5 Ultra 540U3C / Laptop / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      06.05.2015 18:22

Advantages

• "USB3.0 connectivity"
      • "Very Fast"
      • "HD Screen"
      • "Large Hard Drive"
      • Lightweight

Disadvantages

• "Overall poor quality materials"
      • "No CD/DVD drive"
      • "Not very Durable"

Overall A Capable Machine That Must Do Better

I have owned my samsung ultrabook for 2 years and in that time it has been a very capable machine for the things i use it for.

The keyboard is set out in a fashion not too dissimilar to that of Apples MacBook and is very intuitive to use, the equal island style spacing between the keys allows you to flow across the keyboard and allows even a relatively inexperienced typist to type at a quick pace with little in the way of mistakes.

This particular model in the samsung ultrabook series comes with a 500GB hard drive with a 16GB solid state drive to speed up the booting and loading processes. In the 2 years i have owned this laptop i have never encountered a problem with storage space.
      This model also utilises 2 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 and a SD card slot for any additional memory needs.
      The 14 inch HD Display is without doubt the oustanding feature of this laptop, it offers crystal clear pictures with a minimum of glare and next to no motion blur. I have been able to sit and watch full length movies in HD quality with no issues whatsoever.
      When it comes to the sound department it is here where the Samsung is left sadly lacking, the volume output is at times far too low even on the highest setting. And the overall sound quality is not the best it is lacking in depth and sounds tinny and cheap compared to rivals on the market.

Build quality and reliability is also an issue with the Series 5, key issues have been having to replace the hard drive which just mysteriously gave up the ghost which was a costly repair and another major issue with my particular example of the Series 5 is it has a somewhat unreliable keyboard that will some days choose to work partially or not at all in particular the number keys cease to work as do all the function keys.
      On a lesser note the distinct lack of a CD DVD drive is a worry on a laptop in this price bracket as it does limit the compatibility of the machine with certain software packages that are only available as a purchase on disk format which for some more than others could prove to be deal breaker.

Overall it seems that samsung have brought this ultrabook to the market before it was truly finished whilst it is a very stylish and also very capable machine and a desirable object to own it is my feeling that the issues that exist with this laptop have held it back from being the best product that samsung can offer

06.05.2015 18:13

Advantages

• "Nice fresh smell"
      • "Cleans deep down"

Refreshing gel cleanser

I bought this Clean and Clear deep action refreshing gel cleanser from a home store for just £1.99 when I was visiting a friend in Wales and realised that I had forgotton my usual cleanser. This probably wouldn't be my first choice as I do prefer a liquid cleanser but there wasn't much to choose from in the shop, and I had used Clean and Clear products before and found them to be very good. It comes in a 200ml clear plastic bottle and the cleanser itself is a pretty turquoise colour. It has a dark blue pump dispenser which you need to press to release the gel.

The lotion itself has quite a fresh and clean smell and I can still smell this on my face for some time after using the lotion. I use it on my face and neck and I can feel it absorbing into my skin. I will pump the dispenser out onto a cotton wool pad or cotton wool ball about twice and then gently rub it over my face but keeping clear of my eyes as I like to use a separate eye make up remover.

As I am using it I can feel a lovely coolness instantly and my face always feels very fresh and clean afterwards. I am always surprised at the amount of dirt on the cotton pad even if I am not wearing any make up as it is surprising how much dirt which can accumulate on your face during the day. After use I will sometimes apply a toner and then moisturiser or sometimes just a moisturiser to complete my cleansing routine.

I have been very pleased with the results of this cleanser. It is probably not one which I would normally choose but it was really the one suitable one for me at the time when I bought it. I have been using this cleanser now for about three months and I have not used even a quarter of it so it is good value.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown