• secretsales.com / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      21.08.2014 19:08

Advantages

• "designer brands"

Disadvantages

• "too long to deliver"

I would recommend it to everyone!

I order from Secretsales all the time!!! I love it!!

21.08.2014 18:21

Advantages

• "does the job"

Disadvantages

• "cheaply made"
      • "lacks speed"

great for those on a budget

I have owned a few tablets in recent years, some of which have worked very well, others not so much. The Archos tablet is not to bad, but unfortunately not anything special. This has a black plastic outer casing, that could easily be cracked, but cases are available to prevent this from happening.

This seven inch tablet was originally release in late 2013. Weighing in at only 300 grams, it is a very tablet tablet computer, especially compared to some that are around, that i find to be very heavy. The tablet has a 1024x600 resolution, which is really good, and gives it brilliant graphics especially when playing games on it.

The tablet is installed with the Google play store, so there are millions of apps available to download directly onto the machine, which is good because there is something for everyone on the play store. With an 8gb memory, you are able to store a whole range of apps on the device without ever having to worry about running out of memory. I believe 8gb is enough for most people, but if you are the type of user who likes to store A LOT of data, this tablet may not be for you.

The tablet has a 1.2 GHz processor, which is OK, but I find that it is not the fastest tablet I have used, and the main thing i look for in any computing device is the speed. I like to be able to search the web quickly and not have to wait around, unfortunately the processor in this does not allow me to complete my daily tasks as fast as i would like to.

This machine is fitted with a lithium ion battery, which is rechargeable, and i find that it lasts around four hours of uses before it needs charging, which is just general use, heavy gaming will decrease this time considerably.

I think this is an average tablet, a good idea that has been cheaply made in my opinion. The tablet costs only £65 brand new, which is dirt cheap for a tablet computer. It is brilliant for people that are on a budget because it is so cheap, but the quality of the product is affected.

Overall, it would suggest the device for those looking for a cheap tablet, but for others wanting a faster better looking machine, I would be tempted to look at the Apple range of products instead.

21.08.2014 18:11

Advantages

• "Brilliant plot"

Disadvantages

• "Some may be put off by the length"

Another Koontz classic, give it a go!

I’d been putting off reading this mammoth of a book for a while, it’s a whopping 728 pages (including Koontz’s rant at the back about freedom – more on that later). I’m glad I did though, it gave me something more than the usual Koontz fare, it’s a book that provokes thought.

Following a pattern that he’s used to good effect with other Koontz books, it’s about a man and a woman who are being chased by a secret organisation so omnipotent, so evil that there is a real sense of terror for the two people on the run.

The main male character, Spencer Grant has constructed a life under the radar for himself, due to a very bad past. The main female character, Ellie, is on the run from the afore mentioned secret organisation who wish to kill her to protect the knowledge she has about them. Their paths cross in a restaurant, Spencer is smitten and decides to drive to her house. While there, he is witness to a SWAT raid with lethal intent, fortunately Ellie is not in at the time. Now both Spencer and the bad guys are chasing Ellie, all the while Spencer himself comes under the spotlight of the shady government organisation whose resources are seemingly limitless.

Koontz has a couple of different plot formulas that he uses – there’s either a supernatural twist to them or a fugitive being chased by a deadly secret organisation. Obviously this book follows the latter formula, but in my opinion it’s one of his better ones.

Later on in the book, the head agent who is chasing Spencer wrecks the life of a police officer who he crossed swords with whilst chasing Spencer. This interesting subplot ties in with the main storyline at the end of the book to quite good effect, but I do think that a couple of hundred pages could have been shaved off if this element had been left out. It is this subplot which leads to Koontz’s author’s postscript attacking the then (1994) asset forfeiture laws which the policeman was subjected to in an act of spite. Considering how potent American government agencies are, I am surprised Koontz was so bold in his attack. However, he’s still alive so maybe they’ve let him off with his rant!

A very good plot, thrilling, manages to keep a fast pace even over its 700 plus pages, well worth a read. Five stars.

21.08.2014 17:04

Advantages

• "Sweet smell"
      • "Very strong smell"

Disadvantages

• "Availability might be an issue"

Not just for Christmas, smells good any time

I’m not sure exactly when it started, but our local Asda now sells Yankee products from the “Simply Home” range of scents in a few different formats – tarts, candles etc. Mrs Dablue and I normally only buy the tarts (being good northerners, we tend to go for the cheapest option) but last Christmas we did a “free” shop for goodies using the change we’d saved all year in a jar. One of the treats we got with this saved up cash was a medium jar of the Cranberry Zest scent as we thought that out of all the different scents they had on sale, this one was the most Christmassy.

For those that don’t know, Yankee are an American company who make predominantly wax based scented products like differing sizes of candles in glass jars and tarts, but they also make car air fresheners, pot pourri, reed diffusers etc. Although the jar candles are quite expensive as a one off purchase compared to buying the tarts, they do work out as quite good value for money as they last for a long time (Yankee suggest between 110 and 150 hours) and the jars come with a lid which can be re-used for all sorts of things once the candle has burnt out.

This medium candle, Cranberry Zest, has the very rich, sharp and fruity smell of juicy ripe cranberries mixed with the sweetness of oranges. The smell also has a touch of cinnamon in my opinion, which adds a bit more richness and is probably what made us think it was a scent perfectly matched for Christmas. However, on various websites that sell this scent, I have not found any product description during my research that backs up my claim of cinnamon. Answers on a post card please.

The wax is a very appealing deep ruby red, imagine a smoky glass of port. Like most other Yankee wax products I have used, the strength of the smell this blasts out makes Geoff Capes look like a weakling. Think of it as a very pleasant smelling nuclear strength air freshener. A burning candle takes about ten minutes to fill a room with the scent and it’s most noticeable when you leave the room and re-enter after a short while.

I would recommend this to those who like the fruitier Yankee scents, some night say that £13 is a bit steep for a candle, but they do last a very long time. Would work well at any time of year, not just Christmas. Five stars, thanks for reading.

21.08.2014 17:02

Advantages

• "fair shade matches my pale skin well"

Disadvantages

• "no benefit to my skin"
      • "feels like it's clogging my pores"
      • "wears off quickly"
      • "looks shiny"

A complete waste of time

No 7 Beautiful Skin BB Cream has a 3 in 1 formula to even and enhance skintone and disguise imperfections, while the nutrient-enriched formula helps to banish blemishes. It's priced at £13.50.

My thoughts
      The packaging could be improved by having a flip top lid or even a dispenser instead of its screw off lid which makes it more difficult to use. On the positive side though, the hole the cream comes out of is small which means it's easy to control how much you get out and so less is wasted.

The cream feels like a fairly light lotion. It's smooth and creamy but doesn't feel heavy on my skin. It only comes in 2 colours, fair or medium, but the fair one suits my pale skin perfectly and doesn't look too dark or orange, and it doesn't take much blending.
      The coverage this gives my skin is very natural, but I find it makes me look very shiny, which I was disappointed with because it says it's meant for oily skin so I expected it to help keep my skin more matte. It also doesn't last more than half an hour on my skin before it seems to have disappeared into my pores, so really it's a bit of a waste of time.

On the skincare side I really don't feel this has any benefit for my skin. It doesn't feel particularly moisturising and certainly doesn't help to banish blemishes, in fact I feel it promotes them by clogging my pores.

Recommended?

No, I couldn't possibly recommend this BB cream to anyone, it doesn't benefit my skin in any way, and the coverage wears off far too quickly. At this kind of price I expected a lot better.

21.08.2014 16:13

Advantages

• "Quite open"

Disadvantages

• "May not appeal if you're anti LFC"

A very honest and open book by one of LFC's most solid ever players

I’m not a fan of Liverpool FC but I have always rated Jamie Carragher, hence the reason I’ve just finished reading his book. If you’re into football autobiographies, I can recommend this one. It isn’t perfect and there are one or two contradictions within it, but there are a couple of standout chapters.

These chapters are about that night in Istanbul and his feelings about Everton. The Istanbul game where Liverpool came from three nil down to win the Champions League against AC Milan is worthy of a book in itself, but I feel he does a great job of giving his perspective as a player in that historical game. Any football fan should enjoy reading that, unless you’re firmly anti Liverpool. He describes very well the monumental effort it required to get the score level and take the game into extra time, and gives an insight into what was said in the dressing room at half time.

His “Everton” chapter was very well written, bearing in mind that he was brought up as an Everton fan and in some Liverpool fans eyes isn’t one of their own. Some serious justification was needed in this chapter, and he manages it very articulately and without any hint of desperation or being overly self defensive. He lays out some very rational, logical points as to what his feelings for Everton are now, how he came to feel like that and why he thinks he made the right choice in severing his ties with Everton. I think both Liverpool and Everton fans would find this a fascinating insight.

Unlike some footballers’ autobiographies, his is coherent and reads well. There’s plenty of his own opinions about certain big games, incidents and situations which was refreshing as an outsider to hear from him. Unlike Robbie Savage’s book where he spends most of it boring us about how much he spends on designer shirts and cars, Carragher’s book gives us plenty of insight into how he sees the English game, its flaws and strengths and how he sees his role in it. There are some controversial views of his about what it means to him to play for England which are divisive – you will either see his point of view and agree with him or be raging mad at yet another over paid, over privileged professional who puts club before country. I think that he explains it well enough for most reasonable people to agree with him in that he saw England duties as an anticlimax. Maybe it’s a northern thing like Carragher says, Wembley is a southern attraction and means more to those in the M25 perimeter as we have our own cathedrals of football ‘oop norf. As I said, that particular section of the book is divisive so make your own mind up once you’ve read his balanced arguments.

One of the best football autobiographies I’ve read, and you don’t have to be a Liverpool fan for it to appeal. Five stars.

• Technika 19-248COM / LCD TV / 6 Readings / 3 Ratings
      21.08.2014 15:28

Advantages

• "It is easy to use "
      • "The TV has got a bright and sharp picture"

Disadvantages

• "There are no disadvantages "

I am very happy with my Technika TV

WHAT IS IT?

An LCD TV that has got a DVD player built in and has got Freeview channels also. The size of the screen is 19" so it is a good TV for a kitchen and that is where I have got mine.

THE DESIGN

I am very happy with this TV because it is slim and the stand is slim also. I have put it in the corner of my kitchen and it does not take up very much room.

It is black and the DVD goes into the side of the TV so there is no sign of a DVD player. I think the TV looks attractive and modern.

IS IT EASY TO USE?

This TV is very easy to use and the remote control makes it easy because it has got buttons that are easy to see and to understand also. You turn the Freeview on with one button and then it is easy to find the programs that you want to watch.

The DVD player is easy to work also and you can do all of the things that you can on a normal DVD player that is not built to be inside the TV. I like the way the drawer slides out for the DVD because it is a strong slide and that makes it feel like it is high quality.

THE PICTURE

I am happy with the way the picture looks because it is sharp and clear. I have a good ariel and that helps but when that was knocked down in a storm I used an indoor ariel and the picture wasn't as good but it was better then I expected.

The TV turns up loud in its volume but when it is very loud it vibrates a lot and that makes the speaker sound like it is not working effectively. I do not turn this TV up loud and have it on mute sometimes and am happy that mute is silent with not any buzzing.

WHAT I THINK

I like this TV very much and I am happy because we got it for a very cheap price when my husband bought it at a closing down sale. It has worked always and I am not very good at working TVs and DVDs but I have been able to work this and I could as soon as we had it.

There are not very many Freeview channels to interest me but my children watch them, I watch the news and a music channel sometimes also. There used to be a reminder service that I set for when a program was going to start but that stopped working and I think it is a setting I changed by mistake.

ANYTHING ELSE

We paid only £70 for this TV and I am very happy with that and think it is value for a good TV that is nice to watch.

5 Dooyoo Stars.

• print24 online printing / Online Shop / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      21.08.2014 15:27

Advantages

• Prices

Disadvantages

• Website

Great prices, slow site

PRINT24 offer great prices which is why I decided to give them a try, and all went well - just their website lets them down as it's very slow.

21.08.2014 14:48

Advantages

• "Great characters "
      • "So funny "

Disadvantages

Just as good as the first book

The Shopaholic books are probably my favourite books because they are just so funny and every girl can sort of relate to the heroine Becky Bloomwood and her need for shopping.

This is the sequel to the first Shopaholic book and in it things are finally starting to go right for Becky, she has a job on television, a hunky boyfriend and is finally on top of her finances when her boyfriend Luke breaks the news that he has a job in America and wants Becky to go with him.

Of course things don’t go smoothly for Becky and it isn’t long until she starts wreaking havoc in both her personal and professional life and all those things that she has been managing to resist buying become all the more tempting.

The thing that I like about these books is that they are so farcical that you just can’t help laughing along with all the ridiculous things that Becky manages to get herself into. There are so many laugh out loud moments in this book that it is impossible to try and narrow them down as every chapter has at least one laugh out loud moment and some have several.

Bekcy could so easily come across as shallow and annoying but thanks to the way she is written you really can’t help but to be charmed with her and I would love to have a friend like Becky. She always seems to learn her lesson about spending but then is right back to square one but this is a thing for the reader as it means that there are loads of these books to read.

Transplanting some of the action to New York works really well and better than I thought it would. Because I liked the first book so much I was worried when I knew it wouldn’t be set in London as it worked so well there but I actually think I prefer the New York setting instead as it gives a fresh perspective and of course New York is a shopping mecca.

Shopaholic Abroad is just as good as the first book and just as funny which is a rare thing with books in a series as usually they aren’t as good as the ones before them.

• The Body Shop Cheek Blusher / Make Up / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
      21.08.2014 14:06

Advantages

• "Easy to apply"

Disadvantages

A great easy to use blusher

I bought my Body Shop Cheek blusher a few years ago now as an impulse buy. I was shopping with my sister and we popped into The Body Shop and decided to try out some of the tester products. At first looking at The Body Shop Cheek Blusher I was confused as to what it was – I am not very into make-up. To me it looked like a lip balm as it comes in a little tube but my sister informed me that it was a blusher.

When I was trying out this blusher there were a few different colours, I think there was a pink, a red and a colour in-between the two. The price for these was about £8 but they were half price when I was there and so I got a real bargain!

The tubes are tiny and so it looks like you are paying a lot of money for not very much, but this is not the case. You don’t need very much and it literally seems to last forever. This blusher is really easy to apply. You simply squeeze a bit of it out onto the back of your hand and rub it onto your cheeks when you want it with your fingers. The blusher is a bit of a cross between a liquid and a powder. You don’t even have to use a brush to apply it with although you can go over with a brush afterwards if you feel you need to.

21.08.2014 13:40

Advantages

• "smooth hair"

Disadvantages

• "no other benefits"

Smooth hair, but that's all you get with this!

L'Oreal Elvive Nutri Gloss Intensive Conditioner is designed to give instant moisture and crystal shine to fine or normal hair. It's priced at £4.99 for 200ml.

My thoughts

I like the fact that the tube stands on its lid so it's always ready to use and you don't have to stand for ages trying to squeeze the stuff out. The flip top lid would be convenient if it wasn't for the fact that mine snapped off the first time I opened it!

The conditioner has quite a thick consistency as you would expect from an 'intensive' conditioner. It is smooth and creamy and has a nice fresh scent to it which isn't too chemical.

It is easy to smooth the conditioner through my hair and it rinses out very easily after the 60 seconds you're supposed to wait for it to work. I can tell instantly that my hair is much smoother after using it.

When my hair is dried it feels very smooth indeed. I usually only use it on the lengths and ends of my hair, but every now and again I apply it to the roots as well and on these occasions I haven't found it makes my roots greasy, and they are very prone to greasiness.

While my hair feels smooth after using this, that's really the only benefit I've noticed. It doesn't feel softer really, and it doesn't look any shinier or healthier. Also the smoothing effect is only temporary until the next time I wash my hair, so I don't feel it's actually nourishing my hair or improving its condition.

Recommended?

No, I wouldn't really recommend this intensive conditioner. There are far better options out there that have much greater benefits to the hair, and cheaper too!

21.08.2014 13:15

Advantages

• cheap
      • "look great"

Disadvantages

• none

great everyday candles

Me and my partner are big fans of candles. Some make your house smell lovely, and the light from a candle is therapeutic in a way, which is nice too. We have lots of candles, most of which are scented, but it is also good to make your own candles too because you can make your own scents!

We bought a small oil burner when visiting a shopping mall one day last month, along with scented oils to go with it, so we needed to purchase some tea lights to use with it. We headed to our local supermarket which is Asda, to get some. There was a wide range of candles available but we opted for standard unscented candles because they would work best with the burner.

We bought a packet of 100 for £2, which i thought to be really cheap considering the price of some of the candles they had on offer, for example, we saw a bag of 20 unscented candles that was red, and they was selling them for £4! Just because they was a different color they charged more, which i thought was a little silly!

These candles are white in a small tin foil like tray. They burn for around 40 minutes each, which I think is pretty good for the size of them, and i thought the quality of the candles was really good too!

These candles are multi purpose, we do not only use them for the oil burner that we bought, we use them on the side of the bath too, which is nice! I would recommend these candles to anyone who enjoys candle light like we do, and for the price you cant go wrong! Candles can really improve your mood too, the light of candle can be very relaxing in all rooms in the house!

21.08.2014 12:24

Advantages

• "Great film"

seat gripping film

The film

In Alabama 17 year old Sean and Clay, who both have a love of fast cars and racing. Challenge each other to a race. The winner of the race, will win Clay's girlfriend Nikki. As the race ends up in disaster and both cars crash and could have been fatal.

To avoid been sent to prison Sean moves to live with his father in Tokyo. He is soon befriended by Twinkie. Who takes him to the Tokyo driving spot. And he soon finds himself challenging the local gangster Takashi to a race, but as he has no car. He plans to take him on another time. But Han offers to lend him his car. Which he accepts.

Sean does not realise that in Tokyo it is all about the drift, and by the end of the race, he has totalled the car. Han is not too happy to say the least, and tells him not to leave town. Later Hans picks up Sean and gets him doing some jobs for him to pay him back. And also agrees to teach Sean how to drift.

Sean finds himself in trouble with DK. DK is scared of his Uncle Kamata and when the last resort for Sean is to go see him, he steps up to the mark and goes. He arranges with Kamata to have one final race with DK and the loser has to leave town. Kamata agrees, but then Neela informs Sean that the lace DK has picked to race, he is an expert at, and there is only ever him that has reached the bottom. Due to the sharp turns and the big drops. Who will win the final race and be made to leave watch to find out.

The cast

For cast list see IMDB site

I really enjoyed the acting in this film. I could not pin point just one actor or role, as I felt they all played a big part in this film. Each part was played to perfection and was a joy to watch.

My opinion

This is one film lately that I have really enjoyed watching. I was on the edge of my seat most of the time through the film, and I just could not tear my eyes away from the screen. I would really recommend this one to watch I can guarantee you wont be disappointed. I would easily watch this film again. I loved it. The acting was great. The story line was good, and the driving was on the edge of your seat stuff.

21.08.2014 12:15

Advantages

• "21 torque settings"
      • "good weight"
      • "Has potential"

Disadvantages

• "5 hours charge time for 20 minute use"
      • "no stamina at all"

Not one that will last for those longer jobs in the house

I have had many drills during my time, some good, some bad and some that I'm embarrassed to call my own. With this one fitting in the middle of that list....
      It looks like many other drills of its kind, having the bulky battery at the bottom of the handle, the trigger at the top of the handle, where it joins the top section, which makes it easier to pull with your finger. There's the reverse/forward button, which slides from one side to the other, making changing the direction of the chuck so easy. The there's the gear setting, which consists of a yellow sliding knob on the top, push forward for one gear, backward for the other. This helps in the hammer drill action.
      Almost finally, there's the chuck itself, which is right at the front and has 21 different torque settings, including the drillings option, which is marked by what resembles a drill bit. Turn the back end of the 13mm chuck and choose the settings. Turn the front of the chuck and release the grips to change your bit, turn the other way to tighten.
      Finally, there's the extra handle, which loops around the front of the drill, just behind the chuck, using a wingnut type bolt to secure it on place. This handle can be rotated around the drill giving you more handling options, making this drill easier for lefties.
      There is also a little light on the front, above the battery, that shine s on the area the athe drill bit is touching.

And that's what the drill looks like...
      It offers up to 1200rpm from the motor and the battery is an 24volt Ni-Cd one, which is a shame as a lithium neon would last longer between use.
      The battery takes 3 – 5 hours to charge and for that you get about 15 - 30 minutes of use, which will drain if you use the hammer function.

This is one of those drills that is on the shelves in discount stores really, or it should be, as it is not in the top five of the best drills. It offers the power, and gives it well, for about 30 seconds, or less, as once the battery starts losing charge, which takes about 30 seconds, the power drops dramatically, which means you end up having to recharge the battery, 3 – 5 hours between each hole drilled.
      If this came with a better quality battery then this would be up there with the best...

The price of this is £50.00

Would I buy it again..? No, I prefer to stick with the more modern battery types, Lithium neon, as they last a lot longer between meals.

• secretsales.com / Online Shop / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      21.08.2014 11:54

Advantages

• "loyalty points"
      • "good costumer services"
      • "delivers on time"
      • "good products"

Disadvantages

good products good prices I'm loving it

I order with them regularly and I never been disappointed so far so good. Products are a bargain, always good quality, well displayed and the descriptions are always accurate. Great selection of brands from high street ones to luxury labels all can be bought from the comfort of your own house so this is a huge bonus as you don't have to lose days walking up and down the high street.

Also loving the home ware products they introduced recently as I am a big fan.

Costumer service is excellent whenever I had to deal with them they were responsive and eager to help.

Delivery is always on time they do respect the time slot given in the product description.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown