Newest Review: ... and patissiere baked meals holiday and celebrations Basic recipes and techniques Yes, there are plenty of sweet things there, but t... more
Baking made Easy
Bake - Rachel Allen
Member Name: miss_high1987
Bake - Rachel Allen
Advantages: Informative sections on general baking
Disadvantages: Yes, she can be patronising!
I really love this book, and every recipe that I have tried from it so far has turned out mouth wateringly delicious and has provoked demands of 'more cake!' from friends and family. There is a nice range of recipes from cakes to pies, and a really good illustrated section at the back on making different types of pastry, cake decorating and basic sauces etc. I am a vegetarian and have been pleased with the amount of recipes that I can actually eat in this book - although this might not please others quite so much!
This is one of the most well-worn cookery books in my collection and I am quite surprised to see that so many previous reviewers have criticised Rachel Allen herself. Yes she does pop up a lot in the book but surely it is reassuring that she seems to have tried these recipes herself? I also think that the slightly patronising manner comes from her being a cookery teacher, and although sometimes annoying, it is easy to overlook!
All in all, I think this is a really nice and easy to follow book for the amateur baker with all the traditional recipes as well as some new ones. Personal favourites are the butternut squash cheese fondue and the peanut butter and white chocolate brownies.... mmm, might go and make some now actually....
Summary: A nice introduction to baking
- Bouchon Bakery - Thomas Keller
- Crazy Sexy Kitchen - Kris Carr
- Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook - Del Sroufe
- Greedy Girl's Diet: Eat yourself slim with gorgeous, guilt-free food - Nadia Saw ...
- Honeybuns Gluten-free Baking - Emma Goss-Custard
- The Ultimate Nepalese Cookbook - Pemba Lama / Nicci Gurr
- Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
- Weight Watchers Mini Series: For One and Two
- Toastie Heaven - Karen Saunders
- The Top 100 Juices - Sarah Owen