Newest Review: ... and patissiere baked meals holiday and celebrations Basic recipes and techniques Yes, there are plenty of sweet things there, but t... more
Bake your heart out!
Bake - Rachel Allen
Member Name: jo_ce2001
Bake - Rachel Allen
Advantages: So many recipes! easy to follow
Disadvantages: not that many photos
If you were thinking that this book is only about baking cakes, biscuits or bread then you'd be wrong.
Admittedly the title 'bake' would probably lead you down that path of thinking, but it's so much more than that. There are chapters covering anything you can think of that might be baked. To give you an idea, the chapters are as follows -
Breads and savoury bites
tarts and pies
breakfasts and patissiere
holiday and celebrations
Basic recipes and techniques
Yes, there are plenty of sweet things there, but the baked meals for me was the star. I have made the baked butternut squash risotto so many times now that I know the recipe by heart, I've made it for people and passed the recipe around to encourage people to buy this book because it is so good. It is easily one of the most used books in my very (very!) vast collection of cookbooks.
For me the book is somewhat of a baking bible, it might be disappointing for some because there are not photos for every recipes, but it really is crammed with some basic but great recipes. Some are classics, but quite a lot of the recipes I haven't really seen elsewhere. The honey loaf is yummy and always goes down well when I make it!
But don't forget the savoury baking, there are some delicious recipes like spicy bacon and gruyere scones, corn bread and a recipe for sourdough bread. I also love the recipe for the gingerbread house, so cute! One of the great things about this book is this book is the basic recipes section. There are a whole heap of recipes for jams, icings and basic sauces such as toffee, hot chocolate, raspberry etc which so often are the sorts of things left out of cookery books. I just like the fact that this is really homely basic cooking, the sort of cooking you'd do for your family and friends.
I'd thoroughly recommend this book to anyone (and frequently do!).
Summary: A great all round book that you'll keep going back to!
More reviews in the field of Cookbook
- Bakery bread from your own kitchen!
- The best Indian cookery book i own
- Make yourself at home with Jamie
- Rustic, low fat, simple Italian cooking
- Forever Nigella
- Levi does it again!
- Learn about the versatility of your slow cooker
- The Vegeterian Student Cookbook
- Jamie's 15 Minute Meals... Or "The Art of Speed Cooking"
- Loving this Reggae Reggae Cookbook!
- 300 Chocolate & Coffee Recipes
- Mediterranean Feasts - Rose Elliot
- The Great British Tuck Shop - Steve Berry
- Good Food: 101 Easy Student Dinners - Barney Desmazery
- Gok Cooks Chinese
- The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet - Rose Elliot
- The Soup-Maker Cookbook - Maryanne Madden
- Quick and Easy Toddler Recipes - Annabel Karmel
- Greedy Girl's Diet: Second Helpings! - Nadia Sawalha
- Good Food: 30-minute Suppers - Sarah Cook