Newest Review: ... quite frustrating. The meals in the book are great and the majority are mouth watering but they are only really suitable for when you are ... more
Member Name: torytoria
Jamie's 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast - Jamie Oliver
Advantages: delicious recipes.
Disadvantages: can't make one dish in isolation from the 'meal'.
I was bought this book as a Christmas present and it is not something I think I would have bought myself normally.
The book has a great concept, whole meals I.e side dishes, main and dessert made from start to finish in 30 minutes however the execution is quite frustrating.
The meals in the book are great and the majority are mouth watering but they are only really suitable for when you are catering for dinner parties as I don't feel that many people would make dishes like this for day to day meals. It is difficult to extract just one part of each meal, for instance, the main dish, to prepare in isolation from dessert and sides because the book is written as a step by step guide to the whole meal. Having said that, the book does have the advantage of giving the reader a number of good 'cheats' in order to bring it in under 30 mins!
My personal favourite in the book is the bakewell tarts! They are delicious and so quick and easy as you use pre-bought pastry cases. I have cooked them on a number of occasions and always had compliments. They are especially good with ice cream!
I will persevere with the book as there are many more recipes that I would like to try out at future dinner parties but will be reserving it just for this purpose rather than trying to mix and match bits for my day to day cooking.
Summary: an interesting book for the shelf but wont get used often.
More reviews in the field of Cookbook
- The Fast Diet Recipe Book - an oxymoron?!
- I'm Berry glad I purchased this cookery book
- A great addition to the 'River Cottage 'canon'
- Yum yum yum, home made dishes for my tum
- Those yummy veggies are easier than ever to cook!
- The only f word in this Ramsey's cookbook is 'family'!
- Not your average cookbook
- Really well thought out cookbook
- WeightWatchers Meat-Free Meals Cookbook.
- Making The Most Of Your Harvest
- The Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook - Lynn Hill
- The Bowler's Meatball Cookbook: Ballsy Food. Ballsy Flavours. Ballsy Recipes. - ...
- Skinny Weeks and Weekend Feasts - Gizzi Erskine
- The Fabulous Baker Brothers: Glorious British Grub - Tom Herbert
- The Green Kitchen: Delicious and Healthy Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day - Davi ...
- An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book - Laxmi Khurana
- Why the Chinese Don't Count Calories - Lorraine Clissold
- Best Ever Recipes: 40 Years of Food Optimising
- Cook it Together! - Annabel Karmel
- Steaming! - Annette Yates