Newest Review: ... and often offers ideas for vegetarian alternatives if you or your friends don't eat meat! Uses measurements such as cup/pinch etc. meaning... more
Really well thought out cookbook
Nosh 4 Students - Joy May
Member Name: lisforlaura
Nosh 4 Students - Joy May
Advantages: easy to follow, range of recipes, meals for one, measurements, meal plans
Disadvantages: design is outdate
This book is really useful for students or for anyone who wants to cook simple dishes on a budget.
Lots of recipes! A variety of different dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are also some simple desert dishes and dishes that are suitable to cook for friends. The book uses cheap but healthy ingredients to ensure students get a balanced diet and often offers ideas for vegetarian alternatives if you or your friends don't eat meat!
Uses measurements such as cup/pinch etc. meaning there is no need for scales or other equipment that many student kitchens would not have.
Lots of dishes which are cut down to just one of two servings which is great for students who are often cooking for one.
The meal plans are great! They give an example of how to maximize your weekly shop for various different dishes and I was able to modify these each week to keep to my budget.
Offers information on how to do basic things like boil potatoes/vegetables etc. for those students who have no idea. Each dish is rated in difficulty so students can progress to making some of the more difficult dishes.
This is a really great cookbook that is really thought out well. There are so many ideas that all students could make and I would go as far as saying a student wouldn't need any other book because there is so much variety. However, in some places the cook is cramped and hard to read and the design is a little outdated. I also think it would be useful to have more pictures of what to do for those who struggle with the basics.
All in all this is a really great book, which could do with a little updating in the design but the content is fantastic and really is a must have for all students!
Summary: I would recommend this!
More reviews in the field of Cookbook
- 'Fun & Original Character cakes' - sugarcraft at it's best!
- Yum yum yum, home made dishes for my tum
- The only f word in this Ramsey's cookbook is 'family'!
- Not your average cookbook
- WeightWatchers Meat-Free Meals Cookbook.
- Inspiration but a bit contrived
- Definitely a fast, fresh and easy cookbook
- Recipes around a Westcountry legend
- Classic European cooking with a British twist
- Cook yourself into Devon heaven
- Great British Bake Off: Everyday: Over 100 Foolproof Bakes - Linda Collister
- Ainsley's Ultimate Barbecue Bible - Ainsley Harriott
- Leiths Baking Bible - Fiona Burrell
- The Vodka Cookbook: Published in Association with Smirnoff - John Rose
- Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2014 - Hugh Johnson
- Fast Cooking: Really Exciting Recipes in 20 Minutes - James Martin
- Paul Hollywood's Pies and Puds - Paul Hollywood
- A Lighter Way to Bake - Lorraine Pascale
- Nigella Express - Nigella Lawson
- Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life - Jamie Oliver