Product Type: Le Creuset Cookware
Newest Review: ... I pop it in the oven for 10 minutes after frying the mixture for a while. Le Creuset makes little 'mittens' that fit perfectly over... more
Le Creust Frying Pan - great quality home cookware
Le Creuset Stainless Steel Frying Pan
Member Name: adamp84
Le Creuset Stainless Steel Frying Pan
Advantages: quality, 10 year guarantee, easy to clean
Disadvantages: i had a problem with mine, but it was replaced free so no complaints
I am a big fan of Le Creuset, i believe in buying quality first time as i think it saves in the long run.
First thing to say is that this is an expensive pan, as its Le Creuset there isn't any way of avoiding it! I paid £80ish for the 28cm about 3 years ago and about £55 for the 24cm one. But with that you get a 10 year guarantee on the non-stick pans, meaning anything that goes wrong in that time and it will be replaced for free.
The pans themselves are relatively heavy compared with a cheaper version. They are sold stainless steel, the pan itself is made from 3 different layers which Le Creuset will tell you helps it cook quicker, etc. I'm not all that interested in the technology that goes into making these pans but i am interested in the quality and performance of them.
The pans are dishwasher safe and can be used on any type of heat surface and can even be put in the oven. The instruction booklet says that the non-stick surface is resistant to scratches from metal utensils - although this this not something i've tried, i still play it safe with silicon utentils.
The pan feels great in your hand. The handles are also stainless steel but dont get hot themselves. The main hanlde has a rounded part underneath which makes it comfortable to hold. There is also a small handle on the other side of the pan, helpful as they can feel heavy when filled with food.
If you read the instruction manual they will tell you that because of the technology they use to make the pans you dont need to use as high a heat setting. From experience i would agree with that, i rarely need to use the higher heat settings when cooking with these pans.
I also find these pans very easy to wash which is helpful. Whilst they are dishwasher safe i normally wash them by hand. They are the easiest frying pans i have ever owned to wash up.
They aren't all perfect...i have had some problems with them:
1) Stainless steel outer - looks great initially but you have to work really hard to maintain the outside of this pan if you want to avoid any oil marks, etc which typically tarnish the side of a frying pan very quickly.
2) The non-stick coating - i bought these pans 3 years ago and recently the non-stick coating on both of them (and the omlette pan) started to peel from the side of the pan. I'm not sure if this was caused by me resting utensils on the side of the pan or just a fault but i can confirm that the guarantee works!
I took the pans back to John Lewis and they exchanged them for brand new ones there and then, no quibbles. The 10 year guarantee now applies to my new pans! They did also inform me that there was a problem with the batch of pans mine were part of. Hopefully these new ones wont go wrong in another 3 years, but even if they do, they will be replaced free...cant go wrong!
Great quality pans, easy to use and clean. The guarantee is a bonus and it works!
Summary: A great pan, with the added bonus that if it breaks they will replace it.
More reviews in the field of Cookware
- Very Big, very strong
- Le Creuset Rectangular Oven Dish - the beginning of a lasting love affair
- I wish I'd bought one sooner!
- A quality product but a little on the pricy side
- These Panned!
- A great place to set your cake.
- Brilliant Christmas Centre Piece.
- Well it's a wok and a half is this !
- Easy To Look After
- The bowl I use all the time - by Pyrex