Newest Review: ... for his ships The Pinta, The Niña and The Santa María. LANZAROTE The largest island is Tenerife and Lanzarote is the fourth largest, be... more
What a fantastic island!
Member Name: icklepickle
Advantages: Hot all year round, beautiful scenary
I love Lanzarote, we have been twice this year so far and also hoping to return in October.
We went with Thomson both times and stayed at the same hotel (cinco plazas).
We stayed in the main touristy resort of Puerto del carmen. If you want somewhere quieter its best to visit other parts of the island as this is the clubbing capital where most of the tourists go!
We always hire a car so we can see some of the beautiful places on the island.
Our top favourite places are as follows:
1. The papagayo beaches: These beaches are pure golden white sands and perfectly clear waters.
There are a number of different beaches here, some of them reached only by climbing down what can only be described as a cliff! But some are easier.
Beware of the nudists as it is a big nudist beach.
2. Orzola beaches: These beaches are pretty quiet, you will only find the odd nudist, as they are not easy to get to!
They are very unusual as they have lots of volcanic black rock but the sand in between is pure white! Don't expect much of a swim as its not easy to get into the sea, but perfect for nude sunbathing or fishing.
3. Cueva de los Verdes: We have visited here once and it was fantastic. It is basically an under ground tunnel that has been left after the volcano last erupted. Definitely worth visiting but not for the claustrophobic!
4. Mirador del Rio: This view point is fantastic BUT they charge you to look out and there are other view points around the island that are free and just as good!
5. Timanfaya Mountains of Fire: Fantastic trips around the volcanos, you are driven round by coach and also shown experiments and see chicken cookin on the heat of the volcano. Also a restaurant The El Diablo and a shop.
A little way down the road you can go for a camel ride (not tried this yet).
6. Famara beach: Perfect for surfers as it is very windy but a loevly beach surrounded by beautiful scenery.
PLACES TO EAT AND DRINK:
1. Top favourite restaurant is The royal in Puerto del Carmen. Perfect food and fantastic staff! Very cheap.
2. Emma's Cantina in old town Puerto del Carmen. Lovely Mexican food and really great staff.
3. Tropical nightclub in Puerto del Carmen, gorgeous waiters and cheap cheap drink! Also allow children all night..
People call Lanzarote (Lanzagrotty) i have no idea why because it is a beautiful island and hot all year round, what more do we want?
Summary: Visit Lanzarote for a great holiday