Newest Review: ... following directions from Oban, across the Connal Bridge(also worth a look for beautiful views). Appin itself is tiny but surrounded by r... more
Member Name: idoodooyou
Advantages: Stunning beauty, loads to do
Disadvantages: Hard to get to
Nestled away in Argyle in Scotland are two beautiful villages called Appin and neighbouring Port Appin.
They may be a bit off the beaten track and a fair distance for anyone traveling from anywhere further than Glasgow(3 hrs away) but these villages are two of the most magical villages in Scotland and well worth the trip.
Appin is the first village you will come to, following directions from Oban, across the Connal Bridge(also worth a look for beautiful views). Appin itself is tiny but surrounded by remarkable scenery, Port Appin is sign posted from Appin and cannot be mistaken as it is quite literally where the land ends!
En-route to P Appin, looking to the left you will see a beautiful castle surrounded by water called Castle Stoker, which is outstanding at sunset on a clear evening..(I thought the name was a bit eerie!!) and following this road will bring you right into the heart of Port Appin, when I say heart,I mean past the village hall(Where some of the old lighthouse salvaged from the sea has now been erected), past the post office and hotel(Airds Hotel) and right down to a dead end at the fabulous Pierhouse hotel.
From here, you can take a quick 10 minute (foot passenger) ferry ride to the Isle of Lismore, another area worth a good visit.
All arount this area of Appin and Port Appin there are many quiet walks in woody areas and secluded beaches.
Accomodation comes in many forms here, Caravans, chalets, B&B's and Hotels. The two main hotels will set you back abit but i would highly recommend the Pierhouse, with only 12 rooms and a seafront seafood restaurant.
It is also worth mentioning that these villages are not too far from Fort William and Ben Nevis.
Definetly worth a visit!!
Summary: Thoroughly enjoyed!
More reviews in the field of Destination National
- ye olde smugglers inne
- My Lancaster
- Keswick in the Lakes
- Isle of Wight, peaceful and calm island
- Just a small comment in the great Scheme of things ....
- Lots of shops with famous landmarks
- Possibly the cutest village in the UK!
- said to be lively family holiday park i must have got the wrong place staying at ...
- Bedford: Very Desirable Place to Live
- If you wanna go back in time to hidehi then go here!
- Tissington (Derbyshire)
- Saltburn by the Sea, North Yorkshire
- Short Breaks from Ipswich
- National Lift Tower (Northampton)
- Newbury (Berkshire)
- Delapre Abbey (Northampton)
- Short Breaks from Gloucester
- Short Breaks from Hereford
- Short Breaks from Hull (Kingston-upon-Hull, England)
- Short Breaks from Leeds