Newest Review: ... including train and bus times on (0870) 608 2 608. The leisure activities available on the island are varied and almost everyone wi... more
Member Name: karenuk
Date: 23/12/00, updated on 23/12/00 (50 review reads)
Advantages: used to be good
Disadvantages: dismal, tacky, awful
I used to go to Butlin's in Barry Island, South Wales. We would go every year for about four years in the 1980s and it used to be a wonderful place.
The holiday camp was great, it had lots of activities - sports, cinema, theatre, discos, entertainment, etc. - and we always had a really good time there.
There was also a very good fair just outside the camp, so we usually took a day out to go and spend a few hours there.
But then Butlin's sold the camp and the place seemed to fall apart. We visited Barry on a day trip a couple of years later and everywhere looked so bleak and dismal, it was very sad.
I visited again on a day trip in 1997 and it was still as bad as I remembered it. The whole seaside feel has become tacky, with ice-creams and cheap cafes being the highlight of the day !
Disappointing. Wales is such a beautiful country, avoid Barry and explore the other wonderful places in the country - Llangollen, Swansea, Cardiff, the wildness of the hills and valleys ...
More reviews in the field of Destination National
- Fantasy Island Fun Park (Weymouth, Dorset)
- Sandworld International Sand Sculpture Park (Weymouth, Dorset)
- Come into Play (Stone, Staffordshire)
- Wiseman's Bridge Campsite (Saundersfoot, Pembrokeshire)
- Alsop en le Dale (Derbyshire)
- Villages & Resorts in Armagh (county)
- Villages & Resorts in Londonderry (Northern Ireland)
- Villages & Resorts in Fermanagh (Northern Ireland)
- Villages & Resorts in Down (Northern Ireland)
- Villages & Resorts in Tyrone (Northern Ireland)