Newest Review: ... loved the coast always felt loved by the sea, enchanting, loving and mysterious, Should i wait for global warming to ensure Coventry is a ... more
A bit of a dive
Coventry in General
Member Name: Alternum
Coventry in General
Date: 16/08/00, updated on 16/08/00 (71 review reads)
Advantages: Good cinema, good shopping if you can see past the concrete
Disadvantages: Bad atmosphere and it looks DIRE
The problem with Coventry, as with quite a few other cities in Britain, is that it simply doesn't look very nice. In most other cities, though, the problem is confined to a few small areas where the dreaded concrete has encroached - whilst here it is the rule rather than the exception.
Step into the main shopping precincts and you feel as if you have been transported back thirty years, and are standing amidst a sea of very badly designed Seventies buildings. I will admit that the actual shops are pretty, good, varied and well-selected. You could spend quite a lot of time there visiting them - but the general feel is of an aggressive, hostile environment that you simply want to get out of as soon as possible.
I have been living in the area for a year now (at Warwick University) and the only reason I have willingly gone there is to go to the cinema, which is the best for miles around. Most other needs can be fulfilled by visiting Leamington instead, and it is my opinion that most people would much rather go here than Coventry.
Go and visit it if you like. It may be to your taste - I realise that this opinion has been fairly subjective in the taste and aesthetics department - but, frankly, I wouldn't mind if I never had to go there again.
More reviews in the field of Destination National
- Dreary grey
- Heaven on Earth!
- Keycamp Holidays- Clairvaux-les-Lacs
- Sands Resort Hotel - excellent for families
- Better than the Eiffel Tower and with no Foreign Flange
- My kind of heaven
- Seaside as it SHOULD be
- Nothing is certain in London but expense.
- Getting the 'Finger' from Northampton!
- There's no place like home
- Fantasy Island Fun Park (Weymouth, Dorset)
- Sandworld International Sand Sculpture Park (Weymouth, Dorset)
- Tissington (Derbyshire)
- Hartington (Derbyshire)
- Alsop en le Dale (Derbyshire)
- Ventnor (Isle of Wight)
- Hoseasons Riverside Lodges (Ripon, England)
- Midhurst (West Sussex, England)
- Bicester Town (Oxfordshire, England)
- Borth (Wales)