Newest Review: ... is to take advantage of the park and ride initiative which has been a success over the past few years. You can park all day for approx £2... more
Come visit us!
Durham in General
Member Name: durham_girl
Durham in General
Date: 10/11/08, updated on 10/11/08 (79 review reads)
Advantages: Gorgeous City
Disadvantages: none at all!
I LOVE Durham!
I might be slightly biased though. As my user name suggests, I'm from Durham. I've lived here all my life and I can honestly say I love it here!
Durham is a really picturesque city with lots of amazing views, walks and things to do, the most obvious attraction being Durham Cathedral, known as The Cathedral to the locals, or to give it it's full name; The Cathedral Church of Christ, Blessed Mary the Virgin and St Cuthbert of Durham.
Along with Durham Castle, The Cathedral is perched on the highest point in the city inside a loop of the River Wear. It was built on this spot as it was an ideal position to defend against attackers.
The Cathedral houses the shrine of St Cuthbert, whose body was carried from Lindisfarne (Holy Island) in Northumberland to his final resting place in Durham.
If you get the chance, climb the 325 steps to the top of the tall tower. This gives a wonderful aerial view of Durham.
There are lots of lovely walks along the riverside. Go past 'The Count's House', which is a Grecian building belonging to Count Joseph Borruwlawski, a Polish born count who during his earlier years spent time at his 'quiet place' in Durham. Later in life he retired to Durham. he soon became well known, perhaps because he was only 3ft 3". The Town Hall contains a display case containing some of his clothes and his violin, all of which are miniature.
If it's shopping you're interested in, we do have a selection of high street shops and quite a lot of independent craft shops. If it's a big shopping experience you're after though, you would be far better placed to travel to Newcastle, which is only 15 minutes away by train, or The Metro Centre, approx ½ an hour away by car.
Other nearby local attractions include
- Beamish Open Air Museum
- Cragside Hall
- Hadrian's Wall
and lots more!
Summary: A wonderful City!
More reviews in the field of Destination National
- The North Pier, Blackpool
- yeovil town
- Great Yarmouth - more than bright lights and beaches
- A Northern Town with a bright future
- A host of reasons to visit
- TOWN CENTRE YOU CAN IL(L AF)FORD TO MISS
- Don't hide under the bridge!
- See where Peter Rabbit started
- Portishead - General review.
- Seaside as it SHOULD be
- Tissington (Derbyshire)
- Hartington (Derbyshire)
- Alsop en le Dale (Derbyshire)
- National Lift Tower (Northampton)
- Delapre Abbey (Northampton)
- Villages & Resorts in Northamptonshire (England)
- Villages & Resorts in Nottinghamshire (England)
- Villages & Resorts in Merseyside (England)
- Villages & Resorts in Norfolk (England)
- Villages & Resorts in North Yorkshire (England)