Newest Review: ... of gift shops ranging from the usual seashell and buckets and spades to home made jewelery and trinkets. The food is great, whether you w... more
Great for a visit, but don't try to drive through!
Member Name: joodee
Advantages: Compact with lovely views and good photo opportunities
Disadvantages: The narrow streets can be dangerous
If you've never been to Cornwall and can only imagine a quaint little fishing village beside an ancient harbour then Mevagissy comes close to what you might visualise. In the centre are a tangle of tiny streets leading from the single road through the village. Be warned this single road is narrow, very narrow, only wide enough for one car to pass between the jutting walls of cottages at a time. Don't try to drive through the village unless you have to, there is a large car park a few hundred yards from the harbourside on the main road in.
Once in the village there are the usual mix of touristy shops selling gifts, ice creams, and local art work. Interesting enough for an afternoon's browse but better still to go through to the harbour if you like all things watery. There's the harbour wall to wander along whilst watching the boats potter in and out anda few waterside bars and restaurants to get comfy in.
The views are wonderful from the gardens situated on the road out of the village. These can easily be accessed from the harbourside via steps. Sunset is a particularly good time to visit for those keen on photography as the views across the harbour towards the open sea change so quickly once the sun begins to go down.
I'd recommend visiting Mevagissy out of the peak season as it gets very busy but if you don't do any other Cornish fishing village then at least you'll have seen one of the best.
Summary: Good for a browse on a dull day
More reviews in the field of Destination National
- Newry City...Gateway to the North and The South
- Colchester - Oldest recorded town in Britain
- Up and coming Crayford
- CENTRE PARCS, AN IDEAL FAMILY HOLIDAY
- The best place in the World
- Wakefield - the Turd of the North!
- Nothing is certain in London but expense.
- Getting the 'Finger' from Northampton!
- There's no place like home
- BELIEVE IT OR NOT- BUT IT'S TRUE
- Tissington (Derbyshire)
- Hartington (Derbyshire)
- National Lift Tower (Northampton)
- Newbury (Berkshire)
- Delapre Abbey (Northampton)
- Villages & Resorts in Northamptonshire (England)
- Villages & Resorts in Lincolnshire (England)
- Villages & Resorts in Merseyside (England)
- Villages & Resorts in Norfolk (England)
- Villages & Resorts in North Yorkshire (England)