Newest Review: ... of sticking points. Sorry to stereotype but there is a large private school in the area. As a result there is a high level of snoob-ness ... more
Quaint market town
Shrewsbury in General
Member Name: sympatic
Shrewsbury in General
Advantages: Nice centre
Disadvantages: Can spend a lot on clothes
We recently enjoyed an enjoyable weekend away in Shrewsbury visiting frineds, it is a nice rather quaint market town which is located on a hill so you can expect a couple of steep walks in places as you explore the town.
A beautiful river always makes a town more attractive in my opinion and the River Seven certainly improves the landscape in Shrewsbury although when it floods it is probably less popular with the locals. It is a nice town to just wander about in taking a look at some of the impressive buildings and there are lots of nice tea rooms or the more garish chain coffee stores to relax in.
There are some nice medieval buildings and little alleys dotted around the centre of the town which gives it the quaint, largely unspoilt feel to it and while some of the streets are cobbled which look nice but can be trecherous in the wet.
It is a good place to shop as it has a few trendy boutiques as it is generally a wealthy area and there are also some nice art galleries and food emporiums including the rather excellent Chocolate Emporium.
Shrewsbury is a great place to spend a relaxing weekend however it also has a perfectly lively night life as well, what I liked as well was the fact that it is surrounded by some beautiful countryside making it an ideal launching point for some country walks.
Summary: Nice market town
More reviews in the field of Destination National
- Mersea Island A Place Of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Hovis land!!!
- Fabulous pub! Fabulous beers! Friendly staff!
- A gorgeous corner of Cornwall
- One of my favourite coastal towns
- TOWN CENTRE YOU CAN IL(L AF)FORD TO MISS
- No Pirates in Penzance!
- Don't hide under the bridge!
- See where Peter Rabbit started
- Fantasy Island Fun Park (Weymouth, Dorset)
- Sandworld International Sand Sculpture Park (Weymouth, Dorset)
- Come into Play (Stone, Staffordshire)
- Wiseman's Bridge Campsite (Saundersfoot, Pembrokeshire)
- Ilford Town Centre (Ilford, Essex)
- Lasswade (Scotland)
- Letham (Scotland)
- Ladybank (Scotland)
- Laurencekirk (Scotland)
- Kyle of Lochalsh (Scotland)