Product Type: Nikon digital cameras
Newest Review: ... photography and the use of SLRs. It is easy to use, with the option to take complete control of aperture and shutter speed when getting mo... more
A trusty old camera that keeps on trudging in the era of million-mega pixel bastions!
Member Name: alexxina
Advantages: reliable, lightweight, easy to cart around, easy to use, nikon
INTRO - HOW WE MET....
I got this camera in 2007 when I was starting to get into photography. 5 years down the line it has survived 2 student houses and an art degree and is still going strong. And it is the item I would dash back into a burning house for!
WHAT THE HECK IS IT?
Nikon D40 SLR camera - I've often seen it described as a good 'inbetween camera' in other words a good camera to make the leap from a day to day 'snapper' to an SLR. And it certainly was just that for me, however, a few years on and I still find it more than suits my needs - both for day to day snaps and my artistic adventures.
MY EXPERIENCE AND THE GOODS/BADS
There's no doubt there are some bloomin' amazing cameras out there, and some of the more recent products have somewhat left this trusty old Nikon in the dust, however, I'm sticking by this camera for as long as it holds out. And I would definitely say 10/10 it is the camera for you if your looking for that first SLR or a good fall back camera you're not worried about carting round day to day. Why....?
1) One of the great things I've found with this camera is that it's dead lightweight. You can carry it in a camera bag, on the strap or tuck it into your day to day bag and you'll hardly know it's there.
2) It's robust. As I've mentioned, my D40 has survived 2 student houses, and though I look after it well, it has had more than a few bashes and bumps, and it still works just as well as the day I brought it.
3) it's a Nikon: Nikons are a great brand. Coming from a family with a strong background in photography, who fall entirely into the 'Nikon camp' I am somewhat biased, but it can't be denied that Nikon have stood the test of time, and owning a camera from a well known brand makes it a lot easier when obtaining any spares or replacements you might need for it - as well as picking up new Lenses.
4) It's as easy to use or as adaptable as you want it to be. You can easily adjust and adapt this camera to your personal preferences:- likewise if you are after easy snaps it has a great automatic setting.
5) back to that first camera thing - it's dead easy to learn how to use on the hoof. It's not over complicated in it's design - all the info you need is on the screen.
6) The battery lasts for a long, long time. This summer I photographed 2 festivals one weekend after another, and then a family event the next weekend and the battery was just over half empty. Obviously if you buy second hand you may end up with a replacement battery that might not have as much power, or a worn out battery, but I can only speak from my experience which has been pretty impressive (and remember this is a well used battery 5 years down the line!)
7) it turns out a very nice picture quality!!!
8) Finally - as this no longer a spring chicken in the fast paced world of modern cameras, you can pick one up dead cheap, and they're available all over the internet.
OVERALL - IS IT WORTH IT?
In my opinion - yes. Particularly if you're after a good camera you won't be scared carrying around everywhere for those completely unexpected shots, or maybe if you're after a starter camera.
In a market becoming more and more saturated with amazing cameras boasting ever increasing mega pixels and high definition quality, this camera could be considered a little outdated by some. Bt as someone who has used some of the newer and very impressive cameras out there - I've got to say there's something about the D40, its ease of use, its good quality, its reliability, and finally its affordability compared to the big ££££s glued to recent SLRs, which makes it appealing and frankly still a great buy and a good investment!
Summary: A great bit of kit that will just keep giving - perfect companion camera!
|Ease of use:|
More reviews in the field of Digital Camera
- 10 mg pixel zoom camera Samsung
- A Bridge Too Far... Or Not Far Enough?
- Excellent camera at a very affordable price
- MY FIRST DSLR
- Sleek and stylish with excellent results
- The Casio Exilim EX-Z35
- Love the camera, not keen on the customer service...
- Brilliant Camera
- Perfect for someone who doesn't know all that much about photography, but wants ...