* Prices may differ from that shown
The popularity of the DSLR camera has increased greatly in the past two years. It does not matter if you are a professional photographer or novice at photography, it has become a trend or even a craze to own and use one of these pricey but very nifty and stylish cameras. A while ago I decided to go with a flow and bought myself a Nikon D3200, which I have reviewed earlier. It was a fantastic camera and introduced me to the world of DSLR photography, but I wanted a camera with a movable screen and better features than the D3200.This led me to buy the D5200.
The D5200 also comes in black, brown or red metallic colors for the ladies. I bought the black one as I think it looks very classic and professional. The camera came in a large rectangular box with the trademark brown and black coloring of Nikon and the yellow Nikon logo on it. The box has some basic features of the camera printed on it. When I opened the box I found my fantastic D5200 packed inside it. The camera itself looked very professional and stylish. It weighted fairly light as well. When I held the camera I found that its superb design makes it very easy to hold and use it. It is easy to understand most of the buttons and their usage just by looking at the camera. And of course there is the instruction manual to guide me further. The lens is at the front and the LCD screen is at the back. The LCD is fully movable. When I open it I find that I can tilt, turn or rotate it as well.
The D3200 box included:
* D5200 CAMERA
* BS-1 Hot Shoe Cover
* BF-1B Body Cap
* DK-5 Eyepiece Cap
* DK-20 Rubber Eyecup
* AN-DC3 Strap
* EN-EL14 Battery
* MH-24 charger
* UC-E17 USB cable
* CP16 Audio video cable
* ViewNX 2 CD-ROM
I am not a very techy person but am posting the main specs of this camera just for people who are interested in knowing these details. I am copying these from the following link.
Max resolution 6000 x 4000
Other resolutions 4496 x 3000, 2992 x 2000
Image ratio w:h 3:2
Effective pixels 24 megapixels
Sensor photo detectors 25 megapixels
Sensor size APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)
Sensor type CMOS
Processor Expeed 3
Color space sRGB, Adobe RGB
ISO Auto, 100 - 6400 (25600 with boost)
White balance presets 12
Custom white balance Yes (5)
Image stabilization No
Uncompressed format RAW
JPEG quality levels Fine, Normal, Basic
OPTICS AND FOCUS:
* Contrast Detect (sensor)
* Phase Detect
* Selective single-point
* Face Detection
* Live View
Autofocus assist lamp Yes
Digital zoom No
Manual focus Yes
Number of focus points 39
Lens mount Nikon F
Focal length multiplier 1.5×
Articulated LCD Fully articulated
Screen size 3″
Screen dots 921,000
Touch screen No
Screen type TFT LCD monitor
Live view Yes (With contrast-detect AF, face detection and subject tracking)
Viewfinder type Optical (pentamirror)
Viewfinder coverage 95%
Viewfinder magnification 0.78×
Minimum shutter speed 30 sec
Maximum shutter speed 1/4000 sec
* Programmed auto with flexible program (P)
* Shutter-priority (S)
* Aperture priority (A)
* Manual (M)
* Close up
* Night Portrait
* Pet Portrait
* Color Sketch
Built-in flash Yes (Pop-up)
Flash range 12.00 m (at ISO 100)
External flash Yes (Hot-shoe)
Flash modes Auto, On, Off, Red-eye, Slow sync, Rear curtain
Flash X sync speed 1/200 sec
* Single frame
* 2s Delayed remote
* Quick-response remote
* Quiet shutter release
Continuous drive 3 fps
Self-timer Yes (2, 5, 10 or 20 sec)
Exposure compensation ±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
AE Bracketing ±2 (3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
WB Bracketing yes (3 frames in either blue/amber or magenta/green axis)
VIDEO GRAPHY FEATURES:
Resolutions 1920 x 1080 (60, 50, 30, 25, 24 fps), 1280 x 720 (60, 50 fps), 640 x 424 (30, 25 fps)
Format MPEG-4, H.264
Videography notes 1920 x 1080, 60i (59.94 fields/s)/ 50i (50 fields/s), high/normal 1920 x 1080, 30 p (progressive)/25p/24p, high/normal
Storage types SD/SDHC/SDXC
USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)
HDMI Yes (Mini Type C)
Remote control Yes (Optional ML-L3 or WR-R10)
Environmentally sealed No
Battery description Lithium-Ion EN-EL14 rechargeable battery & charger
Weight (inc. batteries) 555 g (1.22 lb / 19.58 oz)
Dimensions 129 x 98 x 78 mm (5.08 x 3.86 x 3.07″)
Orientation sensor Yes
Time lapse recording Yes
GPS notes GP-1
****MOST PROMINENT FEATURES OF THE CAMERA****
* The camera has 24.1-MP DX-format CMOS sensor renders details of the subject minutely and delivers images with great definition and depth.
* Vari-angle monitor
* Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a
* EXPEED 3
* High ISO (100-6400, extendable to 25600 equivalent)
* 39-point AF system
* 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor
* Effects mode
* 5 fps continuous shooting
* D-Movie AF modes
* HDR (High Dynamic Range)
* Active D-Lighting
* 16 scene modes
* High-resolution LCD
* Intelligent design
* Wireless remote control
Because of its fantastic features this camera is absolutely amazing. The more I use it the more I fall in love with it. Here is a list of some of its advantages.
1. Firstly the camera is 24+ MP which is the reason of it gives brilliant pictures. The pictures always come out perfect with so much definition and beauty. The camera captures everything in detail. It does not matter if I am photographing people, scenes, landscapes. The result is brilliant and looks almost 3D.
2. The camera is relatively not very heavy. It is very easy to hold and use. Another thing I find very helpful is that the camera is the smart design of the camera provides ease of use. When you hold the camera most of the key controls fall readily in to hand, how convenient!
3. A brilliant feature of the camera is its 3.0 inch LCD screen. This screen is brilliant in each step of the photo taking. You can use it to take pictures, focus, switch modes, zoom in and out, look at pictures, edit or delete them etc. Also this LCD screen is not fixed. It is a side-hinged swivel-and-tilt screen. This is fantastic for both picture taking and video making. It is also very easy for me to take pictures of myself. I just switch on the Live view on the camera, face the camera towards me and turn the screen around. This enables me to take perfect pictures of myself.
4. The camera takes brilliant pictures in any light and works equally good in darker conditions. It has a built in flash that pops up and enables me to take perfect pictures even in darkness.
5. The camera can also be used to make videos in HD. It makes fantastic movies even if the subjects are moving very fast or in the dark. It also has an option of making slow motion movies although I have never used it. The D5200 has a built-in stereo mic for real stereo sound
6. The camera's WU-1a Wi-Fi unit can be plugged into its accessory terminal. This makes it very easy to send the pictures to a smart phone or tablet without any wire. I can then just save them on my devices or upload them on my Facebook or twitter. This is one of my favorite features as this enables me to quickly upload pictures online and make sure my family and friends are involved in all of my life events.
7. When I first started using the camera the auto focus function came in really handy. The default settings are great, the D5200 figures out what sensors I need for a particular picture and how to use them, and just focuses. This makes it easier for a new user to understand the camera and take good pictures.
8. I really enjoy using the different modes in the camera and the flexibility they give in taking different pictures .Initially I just used the Auto mode and let the camera do everything for me. But now I have started to play around and use other modes in the camera. I am finding the different modes to be very easy to understand and get used to.
9. There is also a help button that works brilliantly when I am stuck and guides me between the different modes.
Although this is a fantastic camera I have a couple of issues with it:
1. Firstly the LCD has no touch. Most of the gadgets I use are touch so I find it a bit inconvenient to use the buttons and not operate via touch.
2. The camera lens has a tendency of being a bit noisy, especially when taking pictures in darkness.
3.There previous model to this one the D5100 has almost the same features and look but it is much less expensive.So some people might prefer that over the D5200.
FINAL OVER VIEW:
I think that the advantages of this camera surpass its disadvantages by far.I love taking pictures with it and it makes even the simple pictures look like they have been by a professional photographer.I think that this is a fantastic camera and although it has cost me an arm and leg but it is worth every penny.
24.1 Megapixel / Resolution 6.000 x 4.000 Pixels (Aspect Ratio 3:2) / LCD Monitor 7,5 cm (3 Inches) TFT-LCD-Monitor with 921.000 Pixels / Removable Memory SD Card (SDHC, SDXCand UHS-1 Compatible) / Dimensions (mm) Height/Width/Depth: 129 x 98 x 78 / Weight (g) 555 g (ohne Objektiv) / Kamera incl. Nikon Objektiv AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55 mm 1:3,5-5,6G VR