Newest Review: ... or powdered or even garlick crushed milk or cream if you still have some cheese salt pepper Pasta about 500g I know most people still... more
Member Name: star3683
Advantages: quick easy dinners
Disadvantages: not always very healthy
Emergency dinners are not needed very often in our house as there is only the two of us (myself and my fiancÚ) but with us both working full time and different hours I do try and have items in the fridge/freezer/cupboards that can be rustled up quickly.
1. Beans on Toast - this is our household favourite as a quick emergency dinner, you can almost certainly find a tin of good old baked beans in the cupboard and even if the bread is a little stale then as long as the mould has not yet appeared then it will do for toast.
2. Tomato soup - my fiancÚ loves tomato soup and with his cooking skills not being the best there is normally a tin in the cupboard or a fresh carton in the fridge. Warmed up and served with some buttery toast or bread is another quick fix.
3. Pizza - again there is normally one of these in the freezer so thrown in the oven with something equally as unhealthy like chips with it provides an almost instant dinner minus the cooking time. Alternatively if I have a pack of the new Warburton's sandwich thins they make excellent pizza bases simply lightly toasted then topped with some tinned tomatoes, cheese, ham and mushrooms (or whatever toppings you have available) then popped under the grill for a few mins.
4. Pasta Bake - I keep two or three jars of this in the cupboard then it's simple a case of boiling some pasta, mixing it with the sauce in an oven proof dish and warming it through for a few mins.
5. Panini or Toasted sandwich - we have both a toasted sandwich and a Panini press so with a bit of bread or Panini rolls and whatever fillings can be found lying around then this provides another quick meal or snack.
6. Jacket Potato - When I buy potato's I look for the packs that contain the biggest ones as I simply refuse to pay twice the price for 'baking potatoes' they are the same thing! Also I do prefer my jacket potatoes cooked in the oven to get a crispy outside skin but if in a hurry a few mins in the microwave then covered with some hot baked beans and cheese make a fast meal.
7. Takeaway - usually the last resort due to being unhealthy and expensive but if needs must and there is really nothing at all to rustle up and our energy levels are completely zapped after a hectic day then its round the corner or on the telephone for a takeaway. We usually op for the chip-shop or Chinese but having half a dozen takeaways practically at the end of the street then there is more than enough choice not matter what we fancy.
So there you have it my emergency dinners!
Summary: my quick dinners