Newest Review: ... once missed 2. A dodgy 1st fitter who arrived and asked us why we were bothering to have a new kitchen 3. Lots of incorrect items we... more
Fitted Kitchens in General
Author Name: Elaine
Fitted Kitchens in General
Disadvantages: THROWING MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN
Unlike the other reviewer on this site regarding Tesco kitchens, my experience is totally different.
We went with Tescos for a new wet room and a new kitchen as we had just moved into our new and last home.
We had no trouble at all with Chris our installer for the wet room - he was marvellous but.....
I am still awaiting for my kitchen to be completed since our initial order from October 2012.
I am still waiting for my granite tops because a) the installers would not complete because the units are not fixed to the wall and b) my instructions regarding the etched right-hand drainer (which my top did not have) obviously were ignored.
We have had problems with nearly everything in our dump site of a kitchen. I cannot lay floor or wall tiles until a Tesco employee visits to assess what needs doing again.
1)We have had trouble with self-closing doors not closing and the cornice being cut wrongly.
2) The installers put an electric switch BELOW the water filter from my fridge freezer - I wonder what would happen if the filter should leak!
3) Anywhere you cannot see, the installers cut corners with the units. We found gaping holes (that you can put your hands in) where the plinths are.
4) We found a piece of wood not screwed down properly laying inside the top of the oven. If this fell down it could have started a fire.
5) They left a LIVE electric wire, which they had cut, on the other side of the wall. We found this out when we had an electrician in to install a new RCD.
6) I had a tumble dryer installed in a cupboard, but to my amazement every time I used it the inside of the door and the unit next to this was riddled with moisture running down. When asked of the installer why this was happening, he said "you will have to keep the doors open when using the dryer". We got another builder in and he pulled the dryer out - guess what - the vent that went outside had been ripped, so the moisture was not getting outside.
7) The hood was held on by double-sided tape, not duck tape. Also, it was installed crookedly on the wall.
8) They did the electrics wrong also. I cannot use more than two electrical things at once because the fuse box keeps tripping. Why? Because they did not use the individual cooker fuse. They clumped all the electrics together.
These are just some of the things that happened. We are now waiting for the area manager to visit us on Tuesday - with all these problems and more, Tesco still do not feel they should arrange to visit us sooner.
After all the money we have paid out. I would say to anyone now to be careful of Tesco promises regarding their kitchens and bathrooms. It all depends on the installer you get. Make sure you give your kitchen a good look over and under everything before you pay.
My husband has actually now seen our solicitor regarding shoddy workmanship.
Oh, and by the way, make sure your installer isn't the same as ours!
Summary: Have to give 1 star for review to be aired, but ZERO stars from me!