Newest Review: ... was me who had the unfortunate experience of this, After spending hours and hours writing review upon review,that although I love doin... more
My 1000th review!
Member Name: AbsintheFairy
Advantages: Find out more about me
Disadvantages: Find out more about me
Nearly four years since I joined Dooyoo, I have reached my 1000th review! To mark this momentous occasion, I've dug out a Q&A session from the dooyoo Lounge.
1. What is the wallpaper on your computer screen? Why did you choose it?
At home, it's a picture of Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean in the new Les Miserables movie, which gets me excited about the film every time I look at it. At work, it's the National Trust desktop calendar for January, which is a beautiful picture of Snowdonia - I look at it whenever I get stressed.
2. Mexican food, Chinese food, Italian food, French food or American food?
Mexican - I love spicy things.
3. Do you have any tattoos and piercings?
No tattoos, pierced ears. I don't suppose any of that will change.
4. Do you have any siblings?
One younger brother, Chris. *shameless plug* he is in a band called Public Secret: check them out at http://www.publicsecretuk.com! *end of shameless plug*
5. Have you ever broken a bone?
No, as a consequence of being a rather bookish, cautious child.
6. Do you believe in superstitious things such as breaking mirrors?
There's a part of me that does - not breaking mirrors specifically, but I have my nana's wedding ring and I always wear it for important things like exams and job interviews.
7. Do you like those 'end of the world' movies?
Not really - they're a bit dull and clichéd.
8. Do you eat more fruits or vegetables? What's your favourite fruit and veggie?
Vegetables: seeing as I don't eat meat, most of my meals are made of them. Fruit-wise I love strawberries, and my favourite veg is mushrooms (technically a fungus, but...!).
9. Who were you most likely to play during school nativities?
At infant school we did a nativity play called The Little Angel and I had the title role of the angel. I suspect this had more to do with my (then) pale blonde hair than any acting ability I may have possessed.
10. What's your opinion of the dentist?
A necessary evil - no one likes going to the dentist, but I know it's got to be done, and I'm not afraid. Luckily I've had the same dentist since I was old enough to have teeth, and I like and trust him. Also, I spent my teenage years having various teeth removed followed by a three-year fixed brace, so there's very little that can faze me when it comes to teeth!
11. Have you ever had a speech impediment?
12. If you had to choose, what is the worst movie you've ever seen?
This is easy - Open Water. A shark attack movie which doesn't actually feature any sharks, just two people flailing about in the ocean for over an hour.
13. Do you like meeting new people?
In theory, yes, but I'm quite shy so I also find it quite stressful.
14. If you could, which celebrity would you date?
Ooh, this is a tough one. Probably James McAvoy.
15. Who would you take with you on a deserted island?
Someone with carpentry skills so that they would know how to build a boat and escape!
16. Do you know how wide your hips are in exact inches?
No, and I don't want to.
17. What would you say is the worst part of high school?
18. How old will you be on your Mother's 68th birthday? Is that 'old' to you?
37 - eek. In the words of Bon Jovi, "not old, just older".
19. Ever thought you were dying of something you were not even close to having?
I once had really bad cystitis and managed to convince myself that I was suffering from kidney failure. Ever since then I've avoided reading about symptoms on the Internet.
20. Have you ever wanted to be a doctor?
No, I'm far too squeamish.
21. If you were dying who would you say goodbye to first?
My parents and brother.
22. Do you like to babysit children?
Yes, if they're good, and like being read to or playing with fun toys. No, if they start having tantrums.
23. Do you often forget where you put things?
All the time, it really annoys me!
24. Do you go on a lot of holidays?
I try to go on one per year - not a lot, but more than some people get.
25. Have you ever met someone with the same 'biggest fear' as you?
I'm not entirely sure what my own biggest fear is, so no.
26. Would you rather write with a pen or pencil? Why?
A black, fine-point pen, because it looks smart and neat.
25. What is your favourite number and why?
Seven, as it appears in both my day and month of birth.
26. Are you afraid of being kidnapped when you go outside at night time?
Can't say I am! Who wrote these questions?
27. Where was the best school trip you ever went on?
At junior school we used to go on outdoor activity trips to a place called Derwent Hill in the Lake District. We slept in dormitories and did exciting things like gorge walking and canoeing. We had loads of fun.
28. Are you a controversial person?
I don't think so. I don't like conflict so I tend to keep my opinions to myself when I don't agree, although some of my views are quite different from those of family members in particular.
29. What would you say your average word per minute count is on a keyboard?
I have no idea; I'm a fast typer but I only use two fingers so this probably slows me down!
30. What was your favourite and least favourite subject in school?
I loved English and History, and hated German and PE. In fact I used to arrange all my optician and orthodontist appointments (of which I had several) to coincide with PE.
31. Do you bite your finger nails?
Not usually; I have a bad habit of peeling them, though.
32. When is the next time you'll go to the library?
Later on today, probably. I use the library a lot, and go several times a month.
33. Do you like fiction or non-fiction books more?
Fiction, generally, although I do read the odd non-fiction tome.
34. Do you treat others as you'd like to be treated?
35. What type of child were you?
When I was very young, I was happy, confident and liked being the centre of attention. As I got older I became more withdrawn and grew very shy and quiet. I'm not totally sure what happened!
36. Are you someone who likes to get into arguments and fights a lot?
No, quite the opposite. I hate confrontation and will try to avoid it, even to the point of keeping my own opinions quiet if I think speaking up will inflame the situation.
37. Do you swear a lot?
I do around my friends, but not around my colleagues or family.
38. If you had to get a tattoo, what would it be of and where would you have it?
I'm not a fan of tattoos personally: if I had to get one, it would be a small one. Probably of a book or something.
39. What's your favourite TV show?
Neighbours - I'm addicted to it.
40. Does personality weigh out the sense of 'good looks'?
I think you need both physical attraction (not necessarily the same thing as 'good looks') and mental attraction in a relationship. The latter can overcome the former to an extent, but there needs to be something there.
41. What is your favourite thing in your bedroom?
My laptop - I couldn't live without it.
42. If you could change 1 thing about you, what would it be?
I'd like to stop caring what other people think of me.
43. Do you have any regrets? If so, what are they?
When I was 21 I went to Russia intending to teach English for a year. I only lasted for three months, due to several reasons - many of which were out of my control - but I often wish I'd found some way to stay for the full year.
44. What colour hair do you have?
Dark brown at the moment
45. What colour eyes do you have?
46. Favourite Sound?
47. Favourite Quote?
"In what we do - whether we act on the stage or write - the most important thing isn't fame or glory or anything I used to dream about - but the ability to endure. To know how to bear your cross and have faith. I have faith, and my pain is less, and when I think about my vocation I'm not afraid of life."
From my favourite play, Anton Chekhov's The Seagull.
48. Favourite Colour?
49. Favourite Films?
The Wizard of Oz, Labyrinth, Rear Window, The Mummy
50. Pet Peeve?
People talking in the theatre. There's no excuse for it (unless someone is taken ill, which is very rare). I wish staff were more proactive at telling people to shut up!
Thanks for reading; I'm off to write my next 1000 reviews!
Summary: I am excited to have reached 1000 reviews!