Newest Review: ... up with each layer. You can create a daytime or evening look with this. 3. Lip balm - whilst I like gloss, I am never without a lip balm.... more
Confessions of a beauty junkie
My Top 10 Beauty Products
Member Name: katyj10
My Top 10 Beauty Products
Advantages: Tried and tested favourites
Disadvantages: It's also good to try new things
My Top 10 Beauty Products
This is a review I have been thinking about for a long long time. With my 1000th review approaching, I wanted to mark it with something close to my heart and as my reviews will show, I am a complete beauty junkie and love trying out new products all the time, through impulse buys and beauty box subscriptions I have tried so many brands that I love and hate and yet a few things I find I will always return to loyally so here it is, the top of the beauty must haves in my humble opinion.
In no particular order (because that would be too difficult) they are as follows:
1. BB cream - a modern take on tinted moisturiser, I never liked tinted moisturisers but have found myself loving a number of Beauty Balm creams on the market. They do a great everyday task, from brightening skin to evening flaws and giving light coverage and concealing shadows and minor flaws. In a few seconds I can make myself look a bit warmed up and can use it on its own or with other make up. Top brand: Dr Jart, it's expensive but worth it. I also love Bare Escentuals mineral make up and have tried and enjoyed a lot of their products with the foundation coming up high in my list of must -haves. It has a built in SPF that I don't even think about when I'm using it but it gives protection that is vital for young looking skin in the long run.
2. Mascara - the one thing that instantly makes my eyes look awake and open. At the moment I'm loving No7 Lash Adapt in black. It's buildable and doesn't clog up with each layer. You can create a daytime or evening look with this.
3. Lip balm - whilst I like gloss, I am never without a lip balm. I used to swear by Vaseline in a tin but have gravitated towards other balms in a tube as I don't struggle with opening them each time. Nivea's water therapy lip balm is one of my favourites. I also like figs & rouge cocoa vanilla for a balm that literally melts on to the lips but the packaging can put me off!
4. Hair dye - I use a home dye (I get my mum to do it!) to save money and also for convenience as it can be done literally within the hour and you're not making appointments etc. I tend to use Nutrisse as the colourant but have tried others. It makes me feel better when I am root-less but squeezing another product in to this section is the amazing touch of silver shampoo that costs a couple of pounds and looks a really scary purple colour when you take it out of the bottle. It's the modern blue rinse! Only joking, it helps combat any brassiness on the hair and I love it, such a bargain.
5. Threading - I have had my eyebrows threaded a few times and it hurts a bit but the results are amazing. I think it's a good way of spending £10 to get a big beauty result that lasts weeks. I just do a little upkeep in between with my hd brows precision tweezers (amazing). Neat brows are a good way of getting 'wake up and go' beauty.
6. Nails. Regular raters of my reviews will know I love to have my nails looking nice with all sorts of products but usually ending up in a Nails Inc manicure. I use their caviar base coat and top coat with a bold colour sandwiched in between. Favourites for nails are St James Street (red) but I'm also enjoying their 3D effect nails too for a glitter finish that's out of this world. Nail oil is (Solar Oil or Nailtiques) also a treatment I apply under and over nail varnish on a regular basis to keep my nails in good condition. I always carry hand cream in my bag and apply when I get chance to do so (usually Soap & Glory).
7. Taking the day off is also important in any beauty addict's life. For the quick and dirty day I just go with a face wipe (usually No7) but most days I go for the blue two layered eye make up remover then the cream cleanser from No7's beautiful skin range. I always stock up when they are doing their £5 off skincare voucher promotion and never tire of their products.
8. Teeth have to be clean and fresh and for this I do clean my teeth morning and night as do most people (!) but I've found Colgate's pro relief range to be the most brilliant toothpaste of all and then I always have a go with some mouthwash. I'm still searching for the best one and tend to use a shop's own brand (usually Boots) but I do like the purple one that Colgate make for sensitive teeth and healthy gums. I find a mouthwash finishes off the job that brushing begins and it does dislodge a few bits so is worth doing I think. I also use dental floss as I have a few natural gaps between teeth that I like to keep on top of. I just use whatever is on offer and a box or pack of dental floss seems to last me ages. I like the tooth picks you can buy from pound shops for this as well (can't remember what they are called but they do have a name!).
9. Skincare is something I never tire of and my favourite brand is probably Soap and Glory closely followed by No7 and then Johnson's. I like to keep a few body lotions and shower gels on the go and use whatever takes my fancy or whatever I've got time to do in a busy day. A good day ends with a treatment on my feet then socks to sleep in so that it sinks in!
10. A good moisturiser is my final addition to this top ten. I like to keep a few on the go so I can choose whatever my skin feels like but I am loving the Soap and Glory Bright Here Bright Now one I'm using at the moment. I love No7's protect and perfect range and have loads of them from gift sets so use the day and night cream and serums from their ranges. I can never have enough moisturisers and if time is tight I will just apply face moisturiser alone.
Well, I have been thinking about what I wanted to include in this review for a while but I have to say that this was a really easy review to write! I am surprised that I didn't put more make up in here but I wrote naturally what I use and it ended up with a bit of everything.
I enjoy reading everyone's beauty reviews and have discovered some brilliant products by reading the reviews (including the purple shampoo). I hope this review has been interesting if not useful and I look forward to trying lots of new beauty products in the future. It will be interesting to read this back in 10 years' time and see what products I'm still using!
Summary: My list could be endless but this is the edited highlights.