Newest Review: ... 2009? April 21st. My sister's 21st birthday and the day that my partner came home from work and said "I'm leaving." Didn't see i... more
My sad 2009
Review of the Year 2009
Member Name: Helsieboo
Review of the Year 2009
My 2009 started out brilliantly, kicking off with a small dinner party to see in the new year. It was elegant and fun and I felt content. I had a fun couple of months, then it all went horribly downhill from April. I can honestly say that I've never been so pleased to see the back of a year!
1) What did you do in 2009 that you have not done before?
I volunteered on Christmas Day. I didn't really feel like making the epic journey down to Cornwall to see my family, so a friend of mine asked if I wanted to volunteer at Kids Company instead. What a fantastic day - it was so much fun and I would recommend it to anyone. Kids Company are a charity in London and on Christmas Day they throw a massive day long party for deprieved children and their families. I spent the day dressed as a fairy, reading stories to children, getting beaten up by small children and I would do it all over again.
2) Did anyone close to you give birth?
No one close to me, though an ex's, brother's ex-wife (wow, that's a mouthful) had her baby girl.
3) Did anyone close to you die?
Again, no one close to me, but a man who used to give me a bit of bowling coaching when I was young.
4) What countries did you visit?
I didn't go away.
5) What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Peace of mind! And to be debt-free. Having said that, I'm getting there now :)
6) What dates will you remember from 2009?
April 21st. My sister's 21st birthday and the day that my partner came home from work and said "I'm leaving." Didn't see it coming at all and I can honestly say I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
7) Did you suffer from illness or injury?
I spend my life falling over things and being injurred. I also had glandular fever and my back problems got very painful.
8) What was the best thing you bought?
Hmmmm. My flat, except I didn't buy it, I just put a deposit down to rent it, so it doesn't really count, but I love it!
9) What behaviour merited celebration?
Snapping at work and telling my boss to "eff off." Believe me, if you knew the situation, you would know it to be a long time coming and I never stand up for myself!
10) Whose behaviour made you appalled?
My ex partner's. We moved in together, at his suggestion. I wanted to, but as I'd been hurt before I was a bit more apprehensive and I gave him every opportunity to change his mind and was happy to continue dating. Anyway, we moved into a flat, it was all rosy and then he left me for no apparent reason. Even now, I don't know why. He knew I couldn't afford the flat without his contribution, yet was happy to leave me struggling and falling into debt trying to pay the rent. It took him 6 months to realise that actually, it was a pretty low thing to do, but never apologised. It was his mother who ended up helping me get out of there and I will be forever grateful.
11) Where did most of your money go?
Rent, bills and bowling!
12) What did you get really excited about?
Moving into this new flat. It meant I could leave memories behind.
13) What songs will you remember from 2009?
New York by Paloma Faith.
14) Compared to this time last year are you happier fitter or more productive?
More productive. I've realised just how unhappy my job is making me and I'm trying to do something about it.
15) What do you wish you had done more of?
I wish I'd gone out more after I split with my ex and stopped hiding from the world. I didn't want to see anyone and I wasn't interested in anything.
16) What do you wish you had done less of?
Hoping against hope that my ex would wise up and come back. He didn't and I just caused myself more upset. I think I'm better without him now as he has been really horrible to me, but it took a long time to realise that.
17) What was your favourite TV Programme?
Not a big TV watcher really, so probably Come Dine With Me.
18) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year?
I don't like the word and I'm not sure if I hate him, but my ex is certainly the person I like least. My blood boils at just the mention of him.
19) What's been your best book of 2009?
Handle with Care by Jodi Piccoult. Really enjoyed it.
20) What was your greatest musical discovery?
21) What did you want to get in 2009?
An engagement ring - we had been discussing it and thought it on the cards. Clearly not.
22) What did you want and didn't get?
23) What is your favourite film of the year?
Trying to remember what I saw now - I'm not a big film goer. I know it's a chick flick, but I really enjoyed Confessions of a Shopaholic, even if they did stick Becky in New York. Suze is a blonde, quintessential, upper-class girl, not an American!
24) What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I just went out for lunch with a friend and then to the pub for a couple of drinks. I didn't feel like doing anything major, so that was perfect. And we went to an amazing cooking shop!
25) What political issue stirred you the most?
As another poster said, the amount of money cut from universities. It also effects some people in LA - myself included, as I do a lot of work with unis and FE.
26) Who was the best person you met?
I met them in 2008, but I have become closer to two people I bowl with which I am grateful for. In terms of new people, I met my boyfriend in December :) So he was just in 2009.
27) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
Talk about what's hurting you and don't hide away from the world - it doesn't fix anything!
Summary: At least it's over, bring on 2010 :)