Newest Review: ... up their health and were smelly. Again, I was fixated on thinking it was 'cool' to smoke. Luckily I never got into smoking at all. It loo... more
You stink, your unhealthy, its dangerous - but you can't help it!
Smoking in General
Member Name: blazeybug
Smoking in General
Date: 28/06/09, updated on 28/06/09 (127 review reads)
Advantages: None really
Disadvantages: This space is not big enough to list them
I am a smoker, I wish I wasn't but I am. The reason I smoke is because I believe it relaxes me and stops me being stressed (which is total rubbish anyway as nicotine is a stimulant). I think the genuinely truthful reason is that A. I am addicted. B. I have not been ready to try and fight the addiction yet. It tastes disgusting but yet I look forward to the immense feeling of relief when I have inhaled that first drag.
Cigarettes contain over 4000 different compountds apparently, and the most damagining of these is Tar, Nicotine and Carbon Monoxide. The amount of these ingredients varies as to what brand you smoke. I won't bother going into all the disadvantages, facts and statistics. You can find that out anywhere.
It does amuse me when I see people smoking lights, smooth or low tar as I feel its rather pointless. My opinion is that if your putting those ingredients in your body on a daily basis it will damage it eventually. I think its more something to make the smoker feel better... "oh well ya know, its a light so its not as bad".
SOME non smokers drive me totally and utterly up the wall with their ignorance, when they say things like "oh just give up". If it was that easy then no one would smoke. Until you have walked a mile in a smoker's shoes you will never fully "get it" so stop with the holier than thou attitude please.
That being said I do make a point of asking, if I am with my non smoking friends if they would mind if I had a cigarette. I do agree that they should not have to breathe in my smoke. Just because I want to pollute my own body, doesn't mean I should do it to them.
I do not agree with smoking whilst pregnant, in any way. I am sorry if anyone who does this is reading but in my opinion it is a totally selfish act. You are knowingly and willingly causing your child damage.
Smoking really is a double edged sword. These are my (conflicting) opinions summed up.
1. Smoking whilst pregnant. You wouldn't stand with you hand over your baby's mouth restricting its oxygen when its been born so why is it acceptable when they are unborn?
2. Smoking round children - big no no.
3. I agree with non smokers that they should not have to breathe in our smoke, but on the other hand, we do not smoke in public places anymore so we go outside, but then you still moan when you walk outside - WHERE DO YOU WANT US TO GO?! What is the happy medium?
4. I think reformed smokers are quite often worse than non smokers for preaching about it. I understand the point, they have done it so why can't you; but when they smoked would they have liked to be spoken down to and treated like an idiot? It has to be the smoker that wants to give up - not someone badgering them into it.
4. I don't think non smokers have the right to judge smokers. We did not pick up a cigarette thinking "ooh I'm going to enjoy making myself stink, having bad breath, cancer, COPD, asthma, bad skin, nails and hair.... oooh yes what a clever plan - I am going to start smoking". It usually happens because we start young and are stupid and we spend our lives knowing that we are playing russian roulette - we don't need you reminding us.
In an ideal world no one would smoke but the world is far from ideal...
*am also writing a review on giving up smoking, this will contain info on WHY I am giving up, the experience of giving up smoking, the problems smoking has caused me and my family etc.
Summary: It's bad... but we know that anyway