Newest Review: ... one goldfish, named Mr. Spongebob, who has lived for over 7 years now, and still going strong. I won him at a funfair, and despite common k... more
Top Five Pets
Member Name: LTS16
Top Five Pets
Date: 17/01/12, updated on 17/01/12 (117 review reads)
I come from a very animal loving family, who have sheltered hundreds of pets throughout the generations, quite literally, and throughout my childhood, animals have played a key part in my life. I think having a pet not only gives an opportunity to be responsible for another being, but a lot of love, time and attention are given to these animals, meaning they become less like pets and more like parts of the family.
This is the countdown of my favourite pets throughout the years, hope you enjoy!
5. Budgies. When I was very, very young, my family owned a budgie. I used to be fascinated by the mysterious, yellow bird dwelling in the birdcage in the corner of our livingroom. I'd be watching the Tweenies or some similar childs tv programme and it would squawk so loud, that I couldn't hear the television, and i'd turn up the volume, and louder got the squawking. But other than it completely ruining my favourite television programmes, I used to adore the bird. Except when it pecked at my fingers! I remember, quite vivdly, examining the way it's head moved, or the way it's beak opened to sqawk. I had never seen a bird up close, and this unusal, yellow bird had blew my mind. It's cage would lie open, and at it's own leisure, it would do a lap around the room, then perch back in it's cage. Quite a chillaxed little animal.
Budgies, I think, are incredibly easy to look after. At a very young age and with a little help from my mother, we looked after it, until it passed away from old age. I was heartbroken.
4. Goldfish. I've only ever had one goldfish, named Mr. Spongebob, who has lived for over 7 years now, and still going strong. I won him at a funfair, and despite common knowledge of funfair fish having a very short lifespan, he's really defying the odds. My sister then bought another two goldfish, HUGE goldfish. My goldfish looks like a fly compared to them, they are massive. But they're definetely amazing. They jump out of the water to catch their food and follow fingers. Definetely impressive fish, although I do love Mr. Spongebob.
I think goldfish are great pets to have as they have a pretty decent life span. They are also generally really easy to look after and they look okay for display purchases. Definetely, goldfish are one of my top 5.
3. Guinea Pigs. This was an animal from my childhood that I absolutely adored. I had two guinea pigs, Roger and Fizz. Typical Guinea Pig names, I know. I recieved them as a present for my birthday from my parents. Although, it would be good to note here that pets aren't just a present for birthdays or christmas, pets are for life. However, I had two guinea pigs. They were cute, cuddly and very noisy. It was my first real responsibilty. I had to feed them, clean their cages, bathe them and so on, and I enjoyed the task. Although, numerous times they ran around my house, hiding in nooks and crannies, I believe one decided to hide behind a sofa cushion at one point! As I was young, I didn't fully grasp the concept of why each guinea pig had a seperate cage and why they could never be in the same cage. Experimenting, like kids do, I let Roger visit Fizz's cage. Bad idea! If your mum has seperated guinea pigs, it's for a good reason. So, Fizz ended up pregnant. I don't remember exactly how many minature guinea pigs Fizz had but I know it was quite a fair amount. We gave away all the baby guinea pigs to a trustworthy friend. All except one, Daisy. They pretty much lived happily ever after, with Roger in another cage!
Guinea pigs gained a four on my list as I believed they were very easy to look after. Their diet consisted of fruit and veg such as carrots, cucumbers, peppers, grapes, banana's etc, and we also had a bag of guinea pig feed. Their cage was basically newpaper with fresh sawdust ontop and their little house and other little toys for them to hide and sleep in. To bathe them, you used a very soft toothbrush and gently rubbed them. Simples! Definetely one of my favourite animals to look after!
2. Newts. Not the most common of creatures to have as pets I believe, but they are honestly awesome. I had three chinese fire bellied newts, which are basically tiny acquatic newts. We had a new pet store open near where we lived, after after seeing the newts, I purchased three. Boo, Rue and Sue. They are honestly the cutest pets I have ever had. Before seeing them in the pet shop, I had no idea what a newt was never mind you could have one as a pet. They are black with a red belly, obviously. They have four legs, a big long tail and look like a very minature lizard. Basically they lived in a tank with water, but which also had a little rocks and floating islands above the water where they could go to get out of the water. They are very easy to care for, feed and like I said are very cute creatures. They laid eggs, and we had many little baby newts swimming around which was very cute. Definetely one of the finest pets i've owned!
1. Mans best friend, the dog! Of course, my number one had to be dogs. I've owned three dogs, all shih tzus - Kizzy, Hugo and their pup, Max, who unfortunately passed away. I've honestly had the best time ever with my dogs. From diving into a loch after Hugo, who seemingly isn't a very good swimmer, dived in after a swan.. to watching Kizzy give birth to Max and three other pups, - one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Definetely couldn't imagine my life without Kizzy or Hugo. Dogs really are best friends, and the only bad point I can really say is when you lose them, it's heart wrenching. Quite literally. When Max died, I was distraught as was the rest of my family. Anyone who owns a dog will know that they really do become your best friends and it's horrendous when you lose them.
But yes, Dogs definetely are my best pet. I think it's the fact that they are incredibly interactive, they are playful, fun and incredibly cute. They are also very easy to read. Dogs, when happy, will wag their tail. When hungry, will bark at the food cupboard. When scared, will yelp. They are just such beautiful creatures to look after, hoenstly. If you treat a dog well, they will treat you well back. Dogs have a lot of love to give. They are such a joy to have in your life.
Animals are not just pets, they are family.
If you are thinking of buying an animal and have enough love and attnetion to give to them, I would definetely recommend. They will lighten your life up completely!
Summary: list of my favourite pets!