Newest Review: ... watched it since as I am scared to damage my memory of it and what it meant to me. 3) Angel - Spin off from Buffy about the vampire with a... more
My top ten programmes
Top Ten TV Programmes... Ever!
Member Name: Lady_Alys
Top Ten TV Programmes... Ever!
Advantages: Shows I love
Disadvantages: You may not agree
When I say I am a bit of a geek or nerd, what I mean is that I am a huge geeky nerd! So don't be surprised if this list is full of sci-fi and fantasy stuff.
Also, this list is in no particular order:
1) Battlestar Galactica (the remake) - After Cyclons attack the 12 Colonies the survivors must band together for the sake of humanity and to find the home of the 13th Tribe, Earth.
This show is filled with flaws, plotholes and terrible amounts of storylines that go nowhere but I still love it and will forgive it for everything. I must admit to have not seeing the original (which I will get round to at some point) but have been told it has a completely different tone and goes in a whole different direction.
If you like Sci-Fi shows and have enver seen it then I highly reccomend giving it a try.
2) Buffy the Vampire Slayer - A girl is chosen as the Slayer to fight demons and vampires, while also trying to live a normal life of friends and dating.
Buffy will always have a special spot in my heart because it was on TV as I was going through High School. I was at the right age to completely be immersed in the show, wait unpatiently for the next weeks show and then talk about it all week with my friends. I haven't watched it since as I am scared to damage my memory of it and what it meant to me.
3) Angel - Spin off from Buffy about the vampire with a soul and his adventures in Los Angeles.
Angel was a grittier version of Buffy, with more violence and different issues tackled. I enjoyed it for its darker tones but ability to also have fun. Come on, there's a green demon (not evil) who runs a kareoke bar and we see Angel have a go, what's not to love?
4) Game of Thrones - Following the feuds, battles and adventures of an array of characters in the fantasy world of Westeros.
I haven't read the books that came before the show as I don't want to ruin any surprises that may come along. There are moments where nothing seems to be happening at all in this show and then something comes out of nowhere and knocks you sideways. It has a bit of romance, fighting, sex etc and it just has me hooked.
5) The Chase - Gameshow where contestants are pitted against the Chaser to win money. Hosted by Bradley Walsh.
Completely away from other programmes I usually watch is The Chase. Sometimes I like to just watch something a bit lighter, something I can join in a little with, and The Chase does that for me. Light-hearted fun with great banter between host and Chasers plus some stand out moments that happen every now and then.
6) The Pacific - Based on accounts by the soldiers who lived through it is The Pacific, a dramatisation of the events surrounding battles around stragetic islands in the Pacific.
This follows a few of the soldiers who lived through stragetic battles in World War Two between America and Japan. At times it is brutal, heart wrenching and tear-jerking but there are also moments to make you smile. It isn't people sitting around in tents talking about strategies, it is soldiers in mud and filth being shot at and living a nightmare that doesn't seem to end at times.
7) Criminal Minds - A team of Behavoural Analysists at the FBI take on cases around America to help catch some of the mot cunning, sadistic or notorious criminals.
This is one my indulgances, a show that can be quite harrowing at times but keeps me coming back for more. Each character in the team has their own personality and back stories that keeps me riveted. I have watched every season so far and cna not wait for it to come back next year.
8) CSI- A team of CSI's use their technology and intellect to solve crimes.
What I like about CSI is seeing a TV show from a different veiw point. There are plenty of shows about cops and arresting people but this show takes you into the background and shows more of how they are caught. I like the dynamics of the team, even when it changes and introduces new characters it works.
9) Charmed - Three sisters discover they are three Charmed witched and have to help keep the balance of good against demons and warlocks.
When Charmed was on TV I was a teenager so it was really appealing to me. Watching it nowadays it is a little cheesy but I still really enjoy it. It sticks to a format that works and never tries to change too much. The show is simple with a small cast, it has adventures, fights, a bit of romance every now and again and good acting.
10) 10th Kingdom - A world of fantasy and reality collide when fairytales spill over into New York and a girl has to enter the Nine Kingdoms to save a Prince.
Before Grimm and Once Upon a Time there was 10th Kingdom. Bucking the fairytale sterotypes of girls falling for Princes but still keeping enough of them in the story (evil witches, magic, trolls etc) this show has to be in my top ten. I was devastated when the show was cancelled after one series but it may have been a victim of timing. If this show was remade now I think it could do a lot better than it did originally. If you do like Grimm and Once Upon a Time then watch 10th Kingdom.
Summary: My top ten shows