Newest Review: ... and there are many books I have read as a result of reading mummy2harry's reviews - Coming Home by Melanie Rose is one that I rememb... more
Member Name: jo1976
What have you tried after reading a review from Dooyoo?
Date: 23/10/08, updated on 10/09/13 (149 review reads)
Advantages: DooYoo introduces you to new brands and products
Disadvantages: Costing me money!
I originally came across DooYoo thinking that it was going to be a site that wouldn't cost me anything to use and would allow me to earn a few extra quid whilst enjoying myself. What I didn't know was that the site could cost me an arm and a leg, thanks to the subliminal advertising going on amidst every consumer review on this site!
I think I must be the most gullible consumer out there. Every time I read a review which makes a product sound good, I just want it! The worst of it is that I'm such a tightwad 'in real life' and never fall for advertising in magazines or on the tv! Luckily, I have resisted the call of the more costlier items and my mini splurges have been of the more budget variety!
So, here is my modest list of shame to date:
- Morning Fresh washing up liquid! For years, I've been happily using Ecover - now even the environment is suffering because of a chance rating on DooYoo!
- Baptiste Dry Shampoo - Yes, I'm a scruffbag with greasy hair in-between washes. I even had to ask behind the counter to get hold of this one.
- Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor
- Imperial Leather deodorant
- I had to eat a whole jumbo packet of Mini Poppadoms (Lime and Chutney flavour) last night, thanks to a review by PaulHanton and spotting them for sale at 29p (rrp £1.69!) at Home Bargains
- The day after reading a review about Bon Marche I had my first venture into my local store and ended up finding the perfect top for a wedding I was going to! I would never have dreamt of setting foot in there beforehand.
- I blame the influx of reviews on DooYoo about Wispa bars for my recent cravings and expenditure. (In fact, I reviewed Wispas as compensation for being forced to eat them by this site!)
- Cadbury's Hot Chocolate Pudding - I read a review on here, nipped to the supermarket on the way home from the school run and just had to buy some and very nice it was too. See the full review which was posted just hours after finishing as a way of relieving my guilt!
- 'How to feed your whole family a healthy balanced diet....' by Gill Holcombe. I read two seperate glowing reviews of this and just had to add it to my Amazon basket. (See full review!)
-Dino Cutter and Banana Bag from Lakeland. I love Lakeland products and didn't really need an excuse to go shopping there but reviews on Dooyoo gave me one anyway! The dinocutter is fab and the kids have been going wild for dinosaur sandwiches and dino toast ever since. The banana bag should soon pay for itself by saving me money from all the over-ripe bananas I throw away.
My splurges so far have been limited and economical. I'm still a bargain hunter at heart and much as you all keep trying to tempt me with reviews about lovely food, toiletries and electrical items, I shall resist! Even so, everytime I see something I persuade myself that I can review it on DooYoo and the DooYoo miles will make it practically free! (I wish!)
Nonethelss, I'm still hankering after Liz Earle cosmetics (Sandra101 - you have a lot to answer for!) and I have a long list of Lush goodies on my *must-have* list for my birthday. (I've told my boys that Mummy wants stuff from the smelly shop for my birthday. Don't forget to tell Daddy!)
Edit May 2009:
I now have a wishlist as long as my arm and have had the cunning idea of using this review to record items that I spot on Dooyoo as I always forget!
Reach Junior Mouthwash 'Yum' flavour
'The Drowning Girl' Margaret Leroy
'Children of Men' PD James
The Fidelity Files - Jessica Brody
The Sinful Life of Lucy Burns - Elizabeth Leiknes
Health Care Skinsure Daily Plus Intensive Moisturiser (Thanks, Fergusa.)
Wildlife Yoplait Choobs (Thanks, Jenster)
Kiwicare Express Polish (Thanks, Juicy Lucy)
Yankee Candles Baby Powder Reed Diffuser (Thanks, Manlybeach)
Spilt Milk, Black Coffee - Helen Cross (Kingfisher111)
Lavera After Sun Lotion (saramac)
Ravensburger In The Night Garden Wooden Jigsaw Puzzle (Arleek)
One Day - David Nicholls (Gemma C)
L'Oreal Elvive Smooth Intense Shampoo (hypno06)
Sanex Dermo Sensitive Cream Bath (xxfoxyredxx)
L'Oreal Elvive Nutri-Gloss Intense Masque
Tainted - Brooke Morgan (Rhiana)
The Model Wife - Julia Llewellyn (Mummy2harry)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
No Time For Goodbye - Linwood Barclay
Summary: The list is still growing