Newest Review: ... people standing in his way ( in this case the main culprits are fellow driver Alain Prost and the then head of The motor racing governing ... more
Amazing documentary about one of my personal heroes
Member Name: martyfarty69
Advantages: An amazing portrayal of a great man
Disadvantages: That inevitably it has a sad ending
"Senna" is a 2010 documentary feature film about the life of legendary Formula 1 driver Ayrton Senna.
I won't go into the plot like i normally would in a review of a movie, as this is a documantary, but also a movie in as much as it centres on a hero ( Senna ) who has humble beginnings and slowly but surely through natural talent rises to the top of his chosen sport, however like any good movie plot there are things and people standing in his way ( in this case the main culprits are fellow driver Alain Prost and the then head of The motor racing governing body Jean-Marie Balestre ).
The magic of this movie is that there is not one single word spoken by the filmmaker ( Asif Kapadia ) and no voice over for the movie, every part of the movie is strung together by interviews with his colleagues and friends, actual footage and interviews with the man himself and news footage from the day.
Its a testament to the man but also the filmmaker that 18 years after his death ( and i still remember that day vividly ) a story such as this is still current and would be widely viewed by such a large amount of people.
The key thing to know about this movie is that you don't need to care or even know anything about Formula 1 or even motor racing itself, this is a movie about a great man and is a human interest piece, its very well edited and put together to elicit the right emotions from the viewer and I defy any actual fan of the man himself to not get emotional in the final minutes of the movie as Senna's story reaches a conclusion.
Im sure Formula 1 fans will instantly be attracted to this movie ( if for no other reason than you actually get to see Formula 1 in what I consider to be its golden age ) and im sure motorsport fans in general will be drawn to this movie, but non-fans will be missing one of the best documentaries of the last 10 years if they dont check "Senna" out, its a magical piece of filmmaking that will certainly stay cherished in my collection.
Summary: Compelling viewing for everyone
More reviews in the field of Documentary
- Immortal beloved
- Move over Senna, Guy Martin just roared into town!
- The King of Kong: An Engrossing Gaming Documentary
- More, and less than just a film.
- A cautionary tale
- Documentary: Wild China (BBC)
- Badly Behaved Truckers
- Compelling history lesson.
- A respectful celluloid gravestone to the legend that lives on.
- Unauthorised One Direction
- Top Gear - 50 Years of Bond Cars (DVD)
- Islands Of Scotland (DVD)
- Great Continental Railway Journeys (DVD)
- Eddie Stobart - The Complete Series 4 (DVD)
- Acoustic Routes (DVD)
- The Universe - 7 Wonders of the Solar System in 3D (Blu-ray)
- A History of Scotland (DVD)
- Great British Railway Journeys - Series 1 (DVD)
- Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 2 (DVD)
- A History of Celtic Britain (DVD)