Product Type: Coca-Cola Soft Drink
Newest Review: ... introduced me to Coca Cola that I knew what I was missing. I have loved the stuff since the first drink. The best drink on a cold day... more
Coca Cola; More than just for drinking!
Member Name: jeremyjiao
Advantages: More uses than you would think
Disadvantages: Very sugary, high in calories
Not being a huge fan of fizzy drinks, I wasn't much of a frequent buyer until quite recently; for I thought that, even with the low calorie versions of this and so on, it could hardly be great for your health as a regular habit. First, some background information on its price. You can usually obtain a regular sized bottle from most supermarkets for £1 or under- however this price does go into extremes of both high and low. For example, whilst I have picked up several of the really large bottles for 50p on a lucky detour to the supermarket, I have known places to charge you up to £2 per small bottle, particularly places like theme parks and tourist hot spots. However, there is more to Coca Cola than appears on the surface! There are more uses to it than just glugging it back and rotting your teeth!
Here are some things you can do with Coca Cola... :
- I have to begin with the classic, most widely utilised method of using up Coca Cola; by drinking it. Coca Cola is one of the biggest soft drinks industry in the world, and you nowadays it is near impossible to walk around without seeing someone drinking this is in one form or another (whether it is in the classic bottle, or contained within a McDonalds cup). Whilst I find the taste to be too sugary and fizzy, I know plenty of people who enjoy the taste; and who can deny the fact that it is a refreshing drink on a hot summer's day? You can also mix it up with alcohol to give it more of an overall flavour and to weaken it. I have known people to mix it up with squash before consuming it, though why would you want to make it even sweeter than it already is?
- Coca Cola can clean your toilets. I know that many of you may be doubtful over whether this one actually works, but I have tried it and have found it as effective as ordinary toilet bleach- just tip a bottle full into the toilet, leave it for a few hours and flush to find a nice shiny toilet! Of course, it is in no way as strong as the more hard wearing tough toilet bleaches out there in the market, but instead of flushing down harmful chemicals, you are flushing down a soft drink! I know this might seem such a waste of both Coca Cola AND money, considering how cheap you can find toilet bleach these days and how little you have to use per cleaning as opposed to the normally heavy cost of £1 a cleaning with one bottle of Coca Cola. However, though I am not sure of its effectiveness in comparison to normal Coca Cola, I am sure that normal store branded Coke would be a sufficient replacement.
- Season your meat with Coca Cola. Have you ever heard of Cola fried chicken? Well, it is possible; it gives the meat a sweet caramelised taste that balances out the oiliness and greasiness of being fried. You can also layer other meats with it before you roast it, giving it, again, a sweet caramelised taste whilst also making the meat nice and moist!
- Being somewhat of an acidic substance, Coca Cola can remove stains much like vinegar can. Just wipe a bit on your clothing with minor staining, or your dark-coloured carpet (it will just add to the staining on a light carpet, so I would not advise it), and voila!- you don't need to fork out for expensive stain removers any more... but please take note that this can only deal with MINOR staining, not something like wine stains and those of similar grades of staining.
- A cheap non chemical cleaning solution- you can clean work tops, kitchen and hard tiled floors, and your car windows with Coca Cola (I have heard that it can even remove rust), though take care to wash over it with water (preferably warm and soapy) once you're done so as not to attract flies. It can also be used as a window cleaner. I'm guessing it is more eco friendly than using normal surface cleaner, anyway, and cheaper too.
- Coca Cola is said to serve as a sort of medicine in some cases (though I am not sure how reliable this is!). It is said to relieve stomach pains, nausea, hiccups and, because of its acidic substance, even neutralise jellyfish stings (ouch!), but only when you have let the drink go flat first.
I'm sure there are still plenty more of uses for Coca Cola that I haven't mentioned, but as you can see, it is not just for drinking and giving you cavities. It can help you with many everyday situations, waste you money at times but also save you money. Thank you for reading my review. :)
Summary: You can use Coca Cola on a lot things