Product Type: DeLonghi Philips Saeco
Newest Review: ... you wont have to spend this again for a few months (depending on your rate of consumption of course!) They often have limited edition caps... more
Nespresso Lattissima... my dream machine!
DeLonghi EN660 Nespresso Lattissima
Member Name: Frenchy140
DeLonghi EN660 Nespresso Lattissima
Advantages: Makes so many perfect coffees in one machine
Disadvantages: Needs special latte glasses
And so for Christmas, my husband got me the best present in the whole wild world: a Nespresso Lattissima machine! You can imagine my excitement at the sight of that... This coffee machine basically does it all for me, all I have to do is press a button and the most perfect latte comes out...
~~~ THE MACHINE: Overview~~~
The machine is very nice looking for a start and very smart. There is a switch at the back to turn it on and off but you can also use the stand-by button at the front, which saves up to 98% energy.
The top of the machine keeps warm and you can keep your glasses on top.
On the top left of the machine, there is a steam nozzle for hot water, which can be removed to 'plug' in the milk container.
~~~ THE MILK CONTAINER ~~~
The container can hold half a litre of milk and the best thing is that you can simply take it out and keep it in the fridge. The milk should be changed every other day and the container washed at least once a week (it is dishwasher proof).
There is an adjustable nozzle that neatly fits within the container, and you will spend the first few times of using the machine in a panic as you forget to put the nozzle in the glass!
At the top of the container, you can adjust the froth, which I think is brilliant... You can go from simply warm milk to very frothy milk.
I would advise using full fat milk, which is naughty but makes all the difference.
The downside to this is that the tube needs to be rinsed after you are finished with it, but that literally takes 12 seconds. You just need to press the 'Clean' button for a few seconds and hot water comes out of the nozzle.
~~~ THE FUNCTIONS ~~~
With the Lattissima machine, you can make 4 different coffees:
- Espresso (40ml): A small cup of black coffee, looking foamy and delicious
- Lungo (110ml): A larger cup of black coffee, also looking luscious and foamy
- Cappuccino (110ml): The milk goes in first and is followed by coffee, making a deliciously frothy drink, on which it would be rude not to add a little chocolate powder! Please note that the cappuccino makes quite small quantities.
- Latte Machiato (350ml): The milk also goes in first, depending on how frothy you like it, when the coffee follows, it will make the most beautiful combination as the coffee gently fights its way through the milk, leaving a gentle layer of milk at the bottom of the glass, on top of which the coffee sits nicely and is topped by the most gorgeous froth...
The machine warms up in one minute, which is very good.
- You can add a drop of milk to your lungo by pressing the latte button and pressing it again when you have enough milk.
- You can adjust the drinks to fit your glasses and tastes, e.g. for latte, press the latte button for a few seconds, the milk will come out (keep your finger pressed until you have enough), then remove your finger and press it again (and keep pressed) for the coffee to follow. Simply release when you have the right amount. This sets the latte button to your liking.
~~~ THE COFFEE ~~~
The Lattissima machine uses capsules, following the Nespresso concept, which most people are becoming familiar with nowadays. They are small capsules, which you insert at the top of the machine by opening a small lid and placing the capsule in, when you close the lid, the capsule clicks in properly and by the time you open the lid again, it will drop the used capsule into a container. No need to do anything really! The small container can be removed from the front of the machine; it normally holds at least 12 or 15 empty capsules.
**Note: You need to close the lid quite firmly to ensure that the capsule is locked in, otherwise, it will fall into the container, in which case it can be recuperated (it will be the one without holes in!).
Depending on what gadgets you buy with your machine (it is easy to get carried away!), you can find out which are the best capsule for which coffee type (latte, lungo...). All capsules come into various strength and are colours coded, there are for instance some special Lungo capsules, however, it is fine to use other ones for it. You can also look on the Nespresso website, where they can direct your tastes to the perfect capsule...
~~~ THE PRICE ~~~
If you are lucky enough to find it on offer on Amazon for example, you might be able to get one for £190, however they are normally more expensive, they sell for £269 from the Nespresso website. It is worth every penny in my view.
There are many local shops which will sell the machine and you might get a voucher towards your next purchase of capsules with it.
Capsules can be bought online or in Nespresso boutiques, but there are not many around (although they are worth visiting if you find one, it must be what heaven looks like!). In the UK, they are based in London, Birmingham and Manchester only.
The capsules can seem quite expensive at 27p to 31p each depending how much coffee you drink, but if you think how much a coffee shop charges you for a nice latte, it is a bargain!
~~~ THE COLOURS ~~~
The De'Longhi Lattissima EN660 machine comes in Creamy white and in Red.
The EN670 model is black and the EN680 comes in Satin Chrome and is a little more expensive.
~~~ CONS ~~~
I suppose it is only fair to find some disadvantages, but these are somewhat irrelevant compared to the advantages!
- All mugs and glasses do not fit with the machine, so it is worth buying proper Latte glasses as an investment, or you can buy some quite cheap ones as well which look good as long as they are transparent.
- Depending which area you live in, you might need to descale your machine more often than you would wish, this depends on hard water.
- The first latte coffee is not always very hot as you turn the machine on, in which case it is worth warming your glass with hot water first.
- You will get addicted!
Summary: A very wonderful machine which fills my days with joy!
|Ease of use:|
More reviews in the field of Espresso Machine
- How Much for a Coffee?!
- Delonghi Magnifica
- Senseo from Philips
- Buy this product! A must have for the coffee lover
- Neither a expert nor a cheapskate. This is the one for you/
- Great Price!
- Fantastic, easy to use machine which all visitors love!
- Posh coffee at the press of a button
- Coffee in a tassimo!
- Coffeee Binge