Product Type: Buffalo External Hard Drive
Newest Review: ... quite weighty!! The unit can be easily fitted in to a laptop bag for easy transportation, the buffalo logo is found on the side of the cas... more
Simple, Sleek with an appealing price tag!
Buffalo Drivestation 1 TB
Author Name: dirtybassdj
Buffalo Drivestation 1 TB
Advantages: Delivered for under £85, Easy Setup and Hassle Free Data Storage!
Disadvantages: Physical available space only 930GB out of 1000GB.
- Buffalo Drivestation 1TB -
- Introduction -
A recent software replacement job just came up which requires me to backup hundreds of old PCs and format them, I currently have a couple of external drives but not really big enough for this particular job.
As I didn't want to spend too much on my investment I browsed the net and came the Drivestation from Amazon! .. Setting me back just short of £85 I am so far quite happy with my purchase.
- Design -
The design is simple, a small plastic cased unit which isn't too bulky however is quite weighty!!
The unit can be easily fitted in to a laptop bag for easy transportation, the buffalo logo is found on the side of the case, the usb and power ports located on the rear and a small green data indicator light on the front.
- Speed & Performance -
Data transfer speeds have been okay so far but could be better, average speeds are between 4 and 8 megabits per second on a standard USB port, hopefully better results will be seen on a 2.0 port.
The unit operates in silence when no data is been transferred and is also very quiet when transferring constant data, it also goes it to standby mode when the usb cable is removed!
The unit is sold as a 1TB device however due to the way its formatted the actual available space is just over 931 GB, quite a shocking amount of lost space!!
- Summary -
In terms of what you are actually looking for in a hard disc drive will determine whether this drive is right for you..
As a backup drive to simply make another copy of your files or store your music, videos, photos etc then this would be the perfect investment for you!
Small files under 100MB can be transferred almost instantly and even larger files can be left to transfer over a period. On the other hand if you are the type of person who will be transferring large files on a day to day basis then you may consider getting a USB 3.0 compatible device which will dramatically improve the overall transfer speeds and save those frustrating moments of watching the "number of minutes remaining.."
And I think many would agree that the pricing is also a big factor in today's economy and getting a terabyte external device for under £100 is definitely what one could call value for money!
Hope this can be of some use to someone. Thanks for reading!
Summary: A cheap hard drive for those in need of extra storage.
More reviews in the field of External Hard Drive
- Works well, but a bit noisy
- Keep Calm and BACK UP!
- Small, but slow for USB3.0
- This is cracking! Essential for the business traveller (and the movie/music buf ...
- Does exactly what you need it to
- Good Things Often Come In Small Parcels
- Lacie, you may now be crowned king of the hard-drives!
- My Data Is Safe!
- Brilliant metallic finish, small and portable, sturdy and reliable.
- I think this drive is the best deal out there
- Toshiba StorE Slim 500 GB
- iStorage diskAshur IS-DG3-256-1500 1.5 TB
- Transcend StoreJet 35 Ultra 1 TB
- Transcend StoreJet 35T 1 TB
- Transcend StoreJet 35T 2 TB
- Seagate Expansion Portable Drive 750 GB
- Toshiba 1TB USB 3.5" External Desktop Hard Drive
- Western Digital My Book Studio WDBAAJ0015HSL 1.5 TB
- Western Digital My Book Studio WDBAAJ0020HSL 2 TB
- Toshiba StorE Art 320 GB