Product Type: York Fitness
Newest Review: ... using this high-quality set to this day. This package comes with the weight plates (totaling 35KG), the barbell, two dumbbell handles an... more
For whom the bell tones (part 2)
York Vinyl Barbell / Dumbbell Set
Member Name: DonPaolo
York Vinyl Barbell / Dumbbell Set
Advantages: Well-made, great starter set or general fitness set
Disadvantages: Relatively light despite bulky size, serious trainers will outgrow them quickly
I've owned a set of York dumb-bells for several years now (reviewed last week) but have got into using them regularly again in the past few months, and bought this additional dumb-bell / bar-bell set to supplement them. As I mentioned in my review of the dumb-bells, the total weight offered by that set was only 15kg, which is good for toning and a little bit of muscle building, but I wanted the option to lift more in the future, as well as to have the longer bar to do different types of training...
The York set comprises the following:
- 2 short metal mounting bars with screw-threaded arms
- 1 long metal mounting bar with screw-threads
- 2 plastic sleeves (which placed over the middle of each short bar to act as hand-grips)
- 6 small weights (1.25kg each - which are slotted onto each side of the hand-grip)
- 6 large weights (2.5kg each - as above)
- 8 screw-on plastic nuts (which secure the weights in place on the bars)
- MOST IMPORTANTLY - A brief guide on useful exercises and how to lift the weights safely and correctly. This gives a few tips on how to use your weights, but its a crucial read for safety reasons - you should always be careful when lifting any size of dumb-bell or bar-bell, so be sure to check this first if you are a novice!
Prices and Availability...
You should be able to purchase this set for between £50 and £60 - it is currently available on Amazon for £53.98, and has a one-year manufacturer's guarantee.
Quality & Design...
As with all York products I have used or purchased, this set is a high quality product, well-made, and safe to lift. Be very careful to ensure the screw-on nuts are properly in place, as this keeps the weights securely in place, and helps you avoid nasty and painful accidents! The handle-grips which slide onto the bars are nicely textured to allow you to grip and lift firmly.
Weight A Minute...
In total, the set is a combined 22.5kg in weight. Whilst this is ideal for beginners, it is not a substantial total for someone who is looking to seriously bulk up. I'm not in that camp - I'm using the weights to keep fit and build some muscle, but nothing Schwarzenegger-esque. I've combined this set with my regular York dumb-bell set, which means I now have a combined 37.5kg to choose from, for a more flexible workout.
It's important to note again that the construction of these weights means they are quite bulky to store. Although the bars are made of metal, the weights themselves are plastic containers filled with a very thin powder to make up the weight, so they take up a lot more space than a solid metal disc of the same weight would. Mine are simply stuffed under the bed in the spare room, or more likely left lying around!
Overall, this is a solid set which looks good and does the job in a decent quality package. If you are very serious about building yourself up, you will outgrow these weights quickly, but most people should find this set provides a suitable and flexible workout, allowing them to tone up and build a little muscle (depending on their starting point).
Summary: Perfect for the casual trainer and general fitness fan
More reviews in the field of Fitness
- Squeeze baby squeeze!
- Blimey, what big balls you have!
- Hats off to the Swiss!
- Step to it
- No miracles or shortcuts with this
- Sturdy, well made and good value for money
- Step to it!
- Step Your Way to Better Legs!
- Dodgy stopper aside, this is a good purchase
- Dame Kelly Holmes gets my heart racing but not in 'that' way ;)