Product Type: York Fitness
Newest Review: ... are locked into place by two plastic roll on locks. I have found that these are not very good for locking the weights and they come loo... more
For whom the bell tones...
York Vinyl Dumbell Set
Member Name: DonPaolo
York Vinyl Dumbell Set
Date: 27/10/11, updated on 02/11/11 (74 review reads)
Advantages: Well made, good beginner weights
Disadvantages: Relatively light despite bulky size, serious trainers will outgrow them quickly
I've owned my York dumb-bell set for a couple of years now, but have been using them a lot more in recent months. I'm recovering from a knee injury which means I've been unable to run or play football for a while, so I've spent a little more time swimming as well as weight training at home to keep trim.
The York set comprises the following:
- 2 metal mounting bars with screw-threaded arms
- 2 plastic sleeves (which placed over the middle of each bar to act as hand-grips)
- 4 small weights (1.25kg each - which are slotted onto each side of the hand-grip)
- 4 large weights (2.5kg each - as above)
- 4 screw-on plastic nuts (which secure the weights in place on the bars)
- MOST IMPORTANTLY - A brief guide on useful exercises and how to lift the weights safely and correctly. You should always be careful when lifting any size of dumb-bell or bar-bell, so be sure to check these first if you are a novice.
Quality & Design...
The set is well-constructed, sturdy and of the usual high quality you would expect from York. The screw-on nuts keep the weights securely in place, so there's no chance of painful mishaps. The handles are a good size and easy to grip firmly due to a textured criss-cross finish.
A Weighty Issue...
In total, the set is a combined 15kg in weight, which is not substantial. It is perfect for beginners, who can use the smaller weights to tone up, and gradually build up to lifting 7.5kg with each arm, but if you are looking for serious muscle-building, you will probably outgrow this set quickly. In my case, I've not been looking to bulk up significantly, but to tone up and stay fit, so these weights are ideal...
With this dumb-bell set, most people who want to tone and strengthen their upper body will be comfortable, and can rest assured they are getting a safe, reliable, well-made product.
It's worth noting that in spite of their relatively small mass, the weights are quite bulky in terms of size. They need a bit more storage space than you would expect, as you would definitely be able to find a set of metal dumb-bells which are heavier, yet more compact.
You should be able to purchase this set for between £25 and £35 - it is currently available on Amazon for £27.99. This is a great price, and a solid investment to be part of your regular fitness regime.
Summary: Ideal for beginners and those who want to tone up
More reviews in the field of Fitness
- Fast track to becoming a fit freak
- Just buy it......Nike!
- Not for the expensive water connoisseur.
- shakes the life out of you!
- The Weird and Wonderful Workout Widget!
- Shake it!
- Tone up with these?
- Air Flow Exercise Mat
- ~Always On The Run! - Reebok Z9 Treadmill~
- I've met my match and his name is Roger Black.
- Polar FT7M Heart Rate Monitor
- Polar RS200sd Heart Rate Monitor Watch
- Polar Ft60F Heart Rate Monitor
- Be-Active Compact Pedometer
- Olympian Sandbag
- Pro Fitness Motorised Folding Treadmill
- Pro Fitness Paris Programmable Exercise Bike
- Pro Fitness Mexico Magnetic Exercise Bike with Pulse Sensor
- Pro Fitness Magnetic Manual Treadmill
- Pro Fitness Rowing Machine