Product Type: Bisto Food
Newest Review: ... Surprisingly the gravy also tasted very bland - None of the full flavour that you get with the Bisto gravy granules. And the peas had a ... more
Fills a hole, but tastes of nothing
Aah Bisto Shepherds Pie
Member Name: Li11ibet
Aah Bisto Shepherds Pie
Advantages: Fills a hole, price and convenience
Disadvantages: Not fun to eat, incredibly bland
One day a week we allow ourselves a "lazy day" when it comes to cooking, and this week I thought I'd try this Bisto Shepherd's Pie. It was only £1 from Tesco (alarm bells probably should have started ringing at this point!), and had high hopes that being Bisto it would be pretty tasty- as far as ready meals go.
It cooks in 40 minutes from frozen, and came out of the oven looking pretty appetising - Good amount of gravy, mash, meat and the odd pea and carrot. The portion size was also ok - Just the right amount for me, but for a man or someone who has a larger appetite I think it would be on the small side.
Unfortunately thats where the positives end for me. I'm not someone that puts salt and pepper on food, so it may have been better with seasoning. But I found it very bland. There was no creaminess to the potato, which basically tasted of water. Surprisingly the gravy also tasted very bland - None of the full flavour that you get with the Bisto gravy granules. And the peas had a sort of bitter aftertaste. However the texture of both the meat and potato were fine, and to be fair it did fill me up well.
I'm under no illusion that ready meals should be gourmet grub, and wouldn't expect anywhere near this for a pound. But I would expect a bit of flavour, and next time will go back to Tesco's own Shepherd's Pie which in my opinion are far nicer.
Summary: Can't be beaten on price, but can be beaten on flavour.
More reviews in the field of Other Food
- Crunchy, tasty and less than 100kcals a pack!!
- Not lumpy enough apple pies for me!
- Lazy Baking
- Marmite - much more than a tasty toast topping!
- I had a dream....
- Scrumptious Potato Waffles but Please Add Beans!
- Get your taste buds dancing
- KP Discos - re-live the 1970s experience with these crisps - thou sure the packe ...
- Great healthy option for breakfast but tastes quite insipid
- Mr Brains had the brains to make these faggots!
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Organic Food Basket
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Organic Terrines Gift Box
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Organic Gift Hamper
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Fair Trade Organic Basket
- Verfeuille Chestnut Purée
- Marks & Spencer Chicken and Bacon Sandwich
- Marks and Spencer Prawn Mayonnaise Sandwich
- Dalepak Vegetable Puff Pastry Pies
- Iceland Cheese Hamwich
- Sainsbury's Redcurrant Jelly