Product Type: Ambrosia Food
Newest Review: ... for a breach of the trades descriptions act as their foods are delicious. Semolina is part of Durum wheat and is the bit left over aft... more
A Taste Of The Middle East in ermmmm,..... Peckham!!
Member Name: eyedo6789
Advantages: Sweet, Filling & Healthy
Disadvantages: May Need To Add Jam For Maximum Pleasure
I have been a big cream of semolina fan ever since my school days.
In some ways it is strange that this dessert is a British institution because semolina is really a food stuff most commonly eaten in Turkey, North Africa, The Middle East and South Asia.
Somehow the creamed version has become a very popular British dessert.
Ambrosia is a very fine make and has a clever name; Ambrosia in Greek mythology is the food or drink of the Gods and in recent usage of language can simply mean something that is delicious. The name is a bit big headed but I will not be suing them for a breach of the trades descriptions act as their foods are delicious.
Semolina is part of Durum wheat and is the bit left over after the wheat and germ has been extracted.
Creamed Semolina mostly consists of milk and whey with 6% Semolina and some added sugar. It tastes sweet, is smooth and best served hot. Microwave or saucepan cooking being the two best methods of heating.
If you let it go cold it can go a bit gluey but it is really designed to be eaten hot.
The taste is as you'd expect very creamy and milky but you get the texture of the Semolina and a slightly oaty flavour similar to that of porridge oats.
I usually add a splodge of Strawberry or Raspberry jam to mine and then stir it in to my bowl full.
I paid 75p for a 425g can from Tesco and it will comfortably serve two people for dessert as it is quite filling.
Half a tin is 167 calories and just 3.6g of fat. It has just under 9% of sugar based carbohydrates in it which is low when you taste just how sweet this dessert is.
I think it is a very good healthy dessert for people with a sweet tooth who also want to feel full after eating.
Summary: An Unusual Dessert But A Real Winner
More reviews in the field of Other Food
- The original and best
- Extra Light Salad Cream
- Mighty Minty!
- Should be called "rubber" rather than "gum"
- Sweet vinegary salad cream on your chips?
- I can't believe its not... Oops different butter!
- Get your taste buds dancing
- KP Discos - re-live the 1970s experience with these crisps - thou sure the packe ...
- Great healthy option for breakfast but tastes quite insipid
- Maybe I wont call Dominos today!......
- Betty Crocker Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- Cadburys Egg and Spoon
- Linda McCartney Fish Free Prawns
- Quorn Chef's Selection Best of British Sausages
- Squires Kitchen Professional Paste Food Colours
- Asda Brussels Pate
- Sainsbury's Prepared Herb Salad
- Discovery Mexican Wicked Chilli
- Sainsbury's Creamy Coleslaw
- Asda Good For You Brussels Pate