Product Type: Bird's Food
Newest Review: ... milk into a bowl of jug and sprinkle the powder over the milk and then just whisk together for a couple of minutes using an electric hand w... more
PLEASE put the price up then I won't be tempted!
Bird's Dream Topping
Member Name: freud
Bird's Dream Topping
Advantages: convenient, no fail,tasty & looks good
Disadvantages: high fat & sugar content
We always try to eat fairly heathily in our house but there are times (when the weather's bad, when the news is full of doom & gloom etc etc) when I fancy making & eating something sweet, artificial & unhealthy!
I only usually make trifles at Christmas & Easter & I have to admit I use a packet for convenience & just add extra fruit - why? - because I love the Dream Topping!
I was pleased to see that Qualitysave were recently selling a pack of 3 sachets for just 89p although the banner on the pack stated £1.89, an offer I couldn't pass over.
I intended to use it soon to surprise my daughters & make a trifle from scratch but unfortunately, while watching my favourite soaps, I remembered it was there & the last 2 nights I've made up 2 of the sachets & pigged out on fresh fruit & Dream Topping - yum!
The trouble is that it's so quick & easy to prepare - just measure 150 mls of cold milk into a bowl & whisk in the white/cream powder - voila - a mock cream! My electric mixer has 'died' so I just used my hand one & it was done in a minute or so.
Initially when you start to whisk it looks like it isn't going to thicken but no worries as it soon does. Once prepared it's advised you treat as a fresh product (ie refrigerate) but, sorry, I didn't test that because I ate it all.
Each sachet is 36g & contains 72 calories, 5.2g fat & 4.5g sugar so isn't exactly healthy if you eat a whole sachet per helping as I did. I believe there's a low sugar variety but I haven't found that yet....
The texture & colour is lovely - just like fresh cream but the taste is sweeter. Although I've only used in with fresh fruit & trifles I think it would be good for gateaux, profiteroles, swiss rolls etc as long as you ate them within a day or two.
The full directions on how to make up, storage advice, nutritional information plus ingredients are all listed on the back of the pack.
- so easy to prepare (too easy really - I keep making it!)
- not really healthy as it contains fairly high sugar & fat content plus additives.
- lovely taste & texture.
- adds a bit of pzzazz to otherwise boring desserts.
- too moreish - will have to stop buying it at this price.
Summary: versatile but too moreish
More reviews in the field of Other Food
- worth splashing out on
- Birds Eye Chicken Pies
- It's Not Disgusting!!!
- I'd HATE This For Breakfast!!!
- Cheap and cheerful and taste sooo gooood!
- Great price, great product
- Excellent on going offer for great quality food
- Deliciously Disgusting!
- A Simply Perfect Offer!!
- Tasty meaty Bisto flavour and great value too!
- Betty Crocker Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- Cadburys Egg and Spoon
- Linda McCartney Fish Free Prawns
- Quorn Chef's Selection Best of British Sausages
- Squires Kitchen Professional Paste Food Colours
- Scott`s Porage Oats
- Maynards Wine Pastilles
- Sainsbury's Organic Porridge Oats
- Asda Good For You Oven Chips
- Muller Strawberry