Product Type: Morrisons Food
Newest Review: ... Last year I sampled and reviewed Somerfield's own brand, and this year I decided to give Morrisons a go. Morrisons Deep Filled Mince P... more
I spy with my little eye...
Morrisons Deep Filled Mince Pies
Member Name: cmh4135
Morrisons Deep Filled Mince Pies
Advantages: Not bad for a commercial pie
Disadvantages: Tops tend to split from the bottoms
Now I'm not a fan of shop-bought mince pies at all. You see my late grandfather was a great maker of jams and preserves and nothing I've found ever lives up to his mincemeat. Add to that the fact that bought pastry is normally downright nasty and you'll see I'm highly unlikely to like any commercial offering. However, at the last minute it was decided that we'd be hosting an early Christmas for my husband's family and I had no time to bake. I therefore had to buy so I picked up a couple of packs of Morrisons Deep Filled mince pies when I went there to do my vegetable shopping.
If I'm honest I held out no hope for these. I only tend to buy veg in Morrisons as it is cheaper than Waitrose for the quantities we use, otherwise I find their products adequate but no more. I was surprised.
Served in individual foil cases and topped with a pastry holly leaf and berry motif these pies actually look quite good. The pastry has a slightly uneven, home-baked look about it. I don't think you'd successfully pass these off as your own based on looks but people might have to look twice if you took them out of their cases.
Taking them out of their cases can, however, be a problem. The pastry lids don't really seem to adhere to the bases as well as they might which results in mess and crumbling as you try and take them out of the case - you will need a plate!
The pastry is shortcrust and suitably sweet and crumbly. I was surprised to find that the pastry wasn't cloying which for me is good as its one of the biggest let downs with most commercial pastries. There is a slight buttery taste to the pastry but it's not a rich pastry. I'd say that it was acceptable as a commercial pastry but doesn't touch good homemade varieties.
The pie is advertised as deep-filled and, for once, I'd say it was. The filling does indeed fill the pie. The mincemeat is fairly thick, in some respects more akin to the filling of an eccles cake rather than a mince pie. It's sweet with a good mix of fruit and peel. There's quite a distinct taste of apple in the mincemeat and very little spice so, if you like your mincemeat to have a bit of a kick you'll not get it from these. There's also no alcohol to add bite or flavour. It is, however, rich enough to feel slightly indulgent but it's never going to replace my grandfather's version!
Heating the pies does little to add to their flavour save that the filling becomes slightly looser (more liquid) and I think I prefer them cold.
Size wise these are fairly standard pies and there is a fine balance between the filling and the pastry with neither predominating.
If I had occasion I would buy these again if I couldn't make my own. I'd also be tempted to pick them up if there were any left on offer at this time of the year as they'd make a quite satisfactory dessert with custard or ice cream.
Summary: An acceptable commercial mince pie
More reviews in the field of Other Food
- Jar your desire for chocolate!
- M M M M mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmarmite!
- Not the greatest from Weight watchers
- (ASDA) Beans beans are good for your heart...
- Satisfying but healthy hot pot!
- Look At You Sitting On The Shelf, All Sweetness & Light
- Holland's Cheese and Onion Pies - Once Tried But That Was Enough
- Cheap & yummy
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Foie Gras Gift Box
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Foie Gras Gourmet Gift Box
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis French Countryside Hamper
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Alsacian Basket
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Basque Country Gift Hamper
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Breton Basket
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Britany Gift Hamper Gourmet Gift Hamper
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Coffret Séjour En Normandie Normandie Set
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Pleasure In A Basket
- Bienmanger Paniers Garnis Gourmet Tea Break Gift Hamper