Product Type: Acctim gadgets
Newest Review: ... meaning I don't have to turn a light on to see what time it is. I bought the Acctim alarm clock ideally as a bedside alarm clock, and ... more
Wakes the baby next door!
Acctim Saxon Alarm Clock
Author Name: Kobayashi
Acctim Saxon Alarm Clock
Date: 13/06/10, updated on 13/06/10 (38 review reads)
Advantages: An alarm clock. Nothing more, nothing less.
Disadvantages: Manual setting for summer/winter time, alarm switch inconveniently placed
I bought this alarm clock about a year ago in a local home appliance store because my 'smart' mobile phones cannot do without their nightly charge and the electric sockets in my room are arranged in such ways I simply cannot place my charging phones on my bedside table.
I love its rather funky and attractive vintage look, the shiny gold colored coating, the twin bells and the tiny little supporting legs... It might sound silly but I have never had a 'traditional' alarm clock before and I find slight amusement in the technological contrast when I place my Blackberry 9700 or an iPod next to this alarm clock.
It looks good alright, but it also does its job really well! Solidly built but light in weight, the alarm stands slightly taller than my mug. The numbers are clear and well separated and can be read off easily even from a distance; the arms of the clock are luminous and give off yellow-ish green fluorescent light in the dark, which makes it really easy to read the time without the need of switching on any additional light source. Analog time and alarm settings can be found at the back, also the rather inconveniently placed On & Off switch of the alarm clock, and the opening of the battery case (it takes one standard size battery).
I have used the alarm clock for roughly half a year and it has given me very stable performance, although I did forget to move the arms for summer/ winter time adjustment and missed some morning classes. The alarm is really quite loud, enough to wake the baby of my newly moved in neighbors next door (I'm sure they won't thank me for waking the child!), so I have stopped using the alarm clock a few months ago and gave it to my friend as part of the setting for a drama production, which I think is quite a neat alternative way of using the alarm clock!
At £4.80 (from Amazon UK), I think it is really good value for money. True it is a very basic time piece, it doesn't have all the fancy functions like radio and Ipod dock, but I found it stable and reliable, and does just what it says on the tin.
Summary: Good time piece under a fiver
More reviews in the field of Gadget
- Never mind magic carpets, when you have a magic baking sheet!
- Small and Mighty
- COCK A DOODLE DOO!
- Page Up.... Everybody Say.... When You've Got To Type You've Got To Get It Under ...
- Tick Tock.... TICK TOCK!
- Ding Dong, Your Review Is Here
- Super fast window cleaner! Can save you hours of hard work not to mention Naggin ...
- I can prize open metal without even using my hands, can you?
- That's Why I'm Easi (!Yo!)
- Betty keeps all my wine safe for me.
- Lumie Bodyclock Starter 30
- Kitchen Craft Pig Crumb Novelty Tabletop Vacuum
- Argos Value Range Car Vacuum Cleaner
- Unicom Squeeze Action Wind Up Dog Torch
- Auriol Photo Wall Clock
- Leifheit 81520 Clothes Dryer Pegasus 200
- John Lewis Cast Iron Fondue
- Aerolatte Free Milk Frother
- Zippo Brass Jack Daniel's Lighter
- Kitchen Craft Dog Crumb Pet Novelty Table Top Vacuum Cleaner