Product Type: Nintendo game controllers
Newest Review: ... is great for storage when I'm not using it. How To Use The board plugs into your Nintendo Wii console using a USB cable. I like the fact t... more
Ever wanted to control a game with your feet? No, me neither
Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board
Member Name: stuff10
Nintendo Wii Fit Balance Board
Advantages: It's different
Disadvantages: It's crap
Ah the Nintendo Wii, where would girls and child gamers be without you?
The Wii balance board is a wireless board that is used to control some Nintendo Wii games. It's not like a traditional games controller as instead of holding a pad in your hands, you actually stand on the balance board and control the game with your feet.
While this may sound quite interesting and different, the novelty soon wears off for 2 main reasons:
1. There's very few games that use the balance board.
2. It turns out that nobody actually enjoys controlling a game with their feet.
Quite simply there's only so much fun you can have leaning slightly to the left or slightly to the right. Sure it can weigh you and tell you you're fat, but I don't need an over-priced plastic set of scales to do that when I want to play a game!
Perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh on the balance board though, as my issue isn't really with it as such, it's more with the whole motion controller thing in general. God gave us thumbs to play video games and by using the other parts of our bodies we're making our thumbs useless almost up to the point where they're not needed!
The board is wireless and runs off 4 AA batteries which will need changing quite regularly (presuming you use it more than once, that is). It retails for around £70 but can be picked up a little cheaper from places like eBay.
It comes with Wii Fit a game designed to make fitness fun but which ultimately fails dramatically. The collection of mini games are mainly boring with only a hula hoop and skiing game worth even looking at.
There are other games that are balance board compatible including Super Monkey Ball, Wii Ski and Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics but these are unlikely to keep you entertained for more than a couple of hours.
In short, the Wii Balance Board is a novel idea, it's just not very good.
Summary: Buy a PS3 or 360 instead
More reviews in the field of Game Controller
- The gaming claw
- Annoying, Pointless and Badly Designed
- Wireless alternative but heavy on batteries
- XBOX 360 Wireless Controller
- Part of a revolution
- good for games like forza 3
- Moga + your android phone = marriage made in heaven?
- Play Xbox without being a couch potato.
- Nintendo Wii Nunchuk Controller = esssential for some games
- A restrained, but fantastic Yoke
- Lego Play & Build Remote
- Moga Mobile Android Gaming System
- Splitfish FragFX
- Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Controller
- Electric-Spin Golf Launchpad
- Activision RedOctane Wireless Guitar Controller (PS3)
- Activision RedOctane Wireless Guitar Controller (Xbox360)
- Activision RedOctane Wireless Guitar Controller (Wii)