Product Type: Bosch Garden Shredder
Newest Review: ... hefty price-wise for something that can't take on the bigger garden cuttings, although of course Bosch is a name well associated with qua... more
Happily fulfils its destiny (unless your shoots are too fresh)!
Bosch AXT 1600 HP
Member Name: PlaysNicely
Bosch AXT 1600 HP
Advantages: Not too noisy, easy to use and store
Disadvantages: Can clog easily unless wood is totally dry
Purchased from Amazon last year, this was my husband's must have toy for our new garden and, despite our traditional lack of success with electric appliances, it's still going strong!
Things we love:
* Easy to store, set up and use - a real no hassle appliance.
* Not too noisy - we were led to expect it would be a bit noisier than it actually is: ok, it does interrupt the dulcet tones of bird song, but unless you sit alongside it to have a conversation it isn't intrusive, although you probably wouldn't want to listen to it all day!
* Does the promised job: it is aimed at moderate garden shredding activity and that's what it does. You couldn't use it for whole trees, but for making use of tidied up branches from light pruning, it's just right!
* Having one of these is a great way of recycling and adding that extra carbon-based ingredient into your garden compost heap, or for mulching, making it even more enjoyable to use because you feel you're creating something useful!
Things we're not sure about:
* It does have a bit of a hissy fit if the wood put through is even slightly damp or if there are too many green shoot. This which tends to result in the shredder clogging up very quickly and so then and then clearing out.
My final observation is that it's quite hefty price-wise for something that can't take on the bigger garden cuttings, although of course Bosch is a name well associated with quality and endurance. Despite paying out for this shredder, we then had to pay the same again for someone to come and shred the remains of an old tree and bigger some twigs that were no good for recycling in our wood stove. We'd probably have been better off just having had someone in to do it all! However, this is relative to our garden last year: once last year's saplings burst forth in the spring (fingers crossed now) and get pruned later in the year, I guess we'll get more use out of this little one, so do base any 'to buy or not to buy' decisions on your own garden needs in both the short and longer term too!
Summary: Generally a good machine suitable for light to moderate garden use