Product Type: Powercolor graphic cards
Newest Review: ... proves that ATI is the way to go. The card also has 512MB of video RAM, maybe a bad point for those who game at insane resolutions o... more
Plays current games on near-max settings
Powercolor HD 4850
Member Name: schmoogrz
Powercolor HD 4850
Advantages: Copes with current games, AVIVO comes in handy
Disadvantages: No major problems
Currently this card is good enough for playing new games - some, if I'm lucky, on maximium settings, others I find myself turning down some things like shadows and aliasing.
The card itself hums a bit once it's been in-game for a while, though with my headphones on I hardly hear it. Like most gaphics cards it gets a little hot too, though it doesn't cause any problems.
With some settings tweaks games like Assassin's Creed 2, Battlefield BC2 and Just Cause 2 all run at 30fps+. Some games like Bioshock and Mass Effect 2 run great on maximum though.
Moving away from the graphics side of things the card boasts AVIVO video processing which comes in really handy when films are dark since my TFT's backlight isn't that great. I can boost the colours, contrast, brightness, colour vibrancy and whatnot. It all makes films look that much nicer and like I'm watching on a more expensive screen :P.
I've had no problems with using two monitors with the card either. However, Window's aero theme runs a smidge slower with two monitors enabled.
Lastly, whilst this is a great card, if you're going for a new graphics card I'd advise going for the current HD5000 series (which support DirectX 11) unless you're getting a good deal on this card or something. Plus there's the HD6000 series shipping at the end of this year.
Summary: Great card but worthing going for current generation unless this one is really cheap or something..
More reviews in the field of Graphic Card
- Quiet, Cool, Nimble little 1080p Full HD card.
- 4890 Still Holds It's Weight
- Blistering Bang -for-Buck
- Great for light gaming, media!
- xfx 5770
- Graphics, Graphics Everywhere - But How Does This Once Fair?
- A classic, legendary graphics card
- Low to Mid range card
- 7850 middle of the road bliss!
- A great video card
- Startech DVI and Digital Audio to HDMI Converter
- Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
- Startech High Resolution VGA to Composite or S-Video Converter
- Startech HDMI DVI to HDMI DVI Video Converter Scaler with Audio Separation
- Powercolor HD 4870 Stalker Edition
- Videk USB 2.0 to VGA Display Adaptor
- PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
- Club 3D Radeon '13Series HD 7970
- Startech SlimPort MyDP to HDMI Video Adapter Converter - 1080p
- ATEN VC160A