“ Brand: Redken / Suitable for: curly hair / What it does: texturises „
I actually came to try this product rather randomly, after a visiting friend happened to leave it at my place when she left the city. How convenient, as I was just about to run out of my normal hair product.
First the good points about the Redken "waving gel" as they call it:
- The pump action pack works really well. You simply apply pressure to the top and the gel is slowly dispelled from the spout. This is great as my previous gel was in a tub and once you start getting towards the end I found that it would always get under my nails when I was trying to get the cream out, very annoying! This is very easy to use and works slow enough that there's no mess (from the pump action at least - more on mess later).
- The gel claims to be a 'medium hold', but I would say it's much more of a strong hold. You can apply this to either dry or wet hair and you will find you can achieve most styles and the gel will hold your hair well.
- The scent of the product is quite nice, a sort of slightly fresh, clean smell, not too girly or sickly, but still feminine.
However, I'm only giving this product 3 stars out of five, so what was it that I didn't like? I'd actually like to give it 2.5 stars, because I don't think it quite deserves three, and here's why:
- Because the gel has such a strong hold you really need to spread it through your hair very well, otherwise you will end up with a very uneven look indeed. So, in order to try and spread it evenly I usually first rub a small amount between my hands, so that my hands are well-coated, and then apply rigourously to my hair. However, I find that at least half of the gel sticks to my hands and not my hair, and it's then quite sticky to wash off.
- Also, despite my best efforts, I almost always still end up with a bit of gel stuck visibly somewhere in my hair, or where I have to try and break up a spiky bit of hair because it somehow got too much gel on it. This never happened with my old product.
- Finally, while the stronger hold is good if you're going for a bold style, beware that where this gel is concentrated your hair will be *hard*. Not just in-place, but actually hard to the touch. Personally I want my hair to still feel nice while it's being held in place, so this was a negative for me.
All in all the product does it's job, but it seems like there's always a bit of wastage on the hands after styling, which you then have to wash off, and it's very difficult to get it evenly applied and avoid spikey bits. Not really recommended.
Mold and manipulate curls with windswept texture and lasting frizz control /