Product Type: Cussons Hand & Nail Care
Newest Review: ... 250ml which as you would expect is the same as others in the range. **The Handwash** Cussons Carex Hand Wash has a nice blue colour and... more
Wash your blues away
Carex Original Handwash
Member Name: redhead78
Carex Original Handwash
Advantages: Washes my hands well, smells lovely, good value
Disadvantages: Only the pump top not being resealable but I'm being very picky!
Handwash is one of those products that I'm not particularly brand loyal with. At home we have decorative pump dispensers at all of our sinks so I usually buy whatever's on offer and decant the wash into the pretty bottles. The only stipulation for me is that it has to be blue...if I tell you why, do you promise not to grass me up?! Well, in the downstairs loo I have a Molton Brown handwash bottle. It's a long time since there was actually Molton Brown handwash in (a lovely Christmas present from my cousin) but none of my guests know that, they all think I'm a pretty generous host. But I'm not, I just make sure that the wash that's in there is the same colour as the original product and nobody is any the wiser, except my Dooyoo buddies now :)
Anyway, I had completely run out of handwash at work and as we're handling money (and the public, ugh!) etc all day every day, it gets pretty difficult to keep my hands clean so off I trotted to the little Tesco's. This Carex Original caught my eye straight away and at £1.60 it was more than I'd normally spend, but at the time they didn't have any on offer (it's only a small Tesco, not a mega-Tes). What I hadn't banked on was the two deaf grannies stood right in front of it trying to have a conversation with each other, voices getting progressively louder, neither actually listening to the other and both completely oblivious to everything else around them. Despite several attempts to get them to shift, I still couldn't get anywhere near the handwash, was about to be late for work and so, chuntering under my breath the whole way, decided to go to the Co-op up the road instead. Luckily for the two old dears the very same handwash was on offer there and was down to only £1, so I forgave them slightly.
The Carex Original is very eye-catching on the shelf. The bottle is clear (it's changed slightly from the one in the picture) so you can see the bright blue liquid inside and, as all the branding is also either blue or white it makes a generally very cohesive bottle that grabs your eye. For your money you get 250ml of the lovely blue handwash which is dispensed through a pump action top. This is obviously sealed when you buy it, but is easily broken into with a quick twist of the top. The first time you use it you need to pump the top a few times to encourage the wash up through the tube but after that it's a simple one-pump job to get the required amount of handwash out.
According to the information labels the handwash works in seconds, kills 99% of bacteria to help prevent the spread of germs, has added moisturisers to leave your hands feeling soft, smooth and hygenically clean and is dermatologically tested. Sounds good to me! The bottle is also recycleable when empty which is another bonus.
So does the handwash live up to its claims? As with most things like this it is quite subjective as everybody's skin is different and what works for one might not work for another. But I have to say I've been very pleased with this handwash. I obviously can't comment on if it really does kill 99% of bacteria as I work in a shop, not a lab, so can't really quantify that! But it does leave my hands feeling clean and fresh so I have no reason to think that it isn't killing any bacteria.
What I like about this handwash:
- The smell is absolutely gorgeous. I am a big fan of the fresh smells when it comes to cosmetics and toiletries and this one doesn't disappoint. It's what I can only think of describing as an "aquatic" smell. Just nice and fresh and clean smelling, nothing fruity or floral about it. The smell also lingers for a while so I often find myself sniffing the back of my hand to get another quick whiff of the delish fragrance!
- It has a really lovely consistency, nice and thick and gel like. Some handwashes are so thin that they just dribble off your hand before you have time to rub it in. This Carex, however, is thick enough to stay in place until you rub your hands together, then it foams up nicely creating a good lather to really get to work on any dirt on your hands.
- It cleans my hands really well...the most important task for this product as far as I'm concerned! When unpacking deliveries, cleaning shelves or doing stocktakes my hands can get absolutely filthy and sometimes it feels like the dirt will be ingrained in my skin for ever more. This handwash works amazingly well at getting even the deepest most ground in dirt out and so far I've never had to resort to scrubbing at my skin with a nail brush or even using a second application, one squirt of this has always been enough.
- Because one squirt is enough, it lasts for ages. Granted there is only two of us using it, but I've had it for around 2 months now and have only used about half of the bottle, so it has been extremely good value for money.
- It doesn't have any side affects on my skin. It doesn't leave any residue or have a bad reaction to my skin and whilst I wouldn't say my hands feel softer or smoother nor does it dry them out and I don't feel like I have to rush to my tube of handcream after washing my hands.
What I don't like:
- I have yet to be able to find away to stop the pump top from working, so if I wanted to take it home I don't think there's a way of transporting it once it's been opened without risking a big sticky mess. This isn't a real complaint though, as I don't envisage transporting it anyway, but I always like to try and find something negative to say in a review as very few things are perfect.
In case you hadn't guessed I love this handwash and would definitely buy it again. It does exactly what I would expect and hope a handwash would do ie; it cleans my hands and leaves them feeling and smelling fresh and it is very good value for money, especially when you find it on offer (Tesco are currently selling it for half price so I've stocked up for home this week too!). And the very slight niggle of not being able to reseal it is in no way a big enough niggle to deduct any stars so it gets a big 5 from me.
Summary: A lovely fresh handwash that leaves your hands feeling and smelling clean
More reviews in the field of Hand & Nail Care
- Omorovicza Nourishing Hand Cream
- The Body Shop Cranberry Hand Lotion
- Essential Waitrose Plum & Mimosa Hand Wash
- Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Therapeutic Hand Cream
- Nails Inc. Hoxton Crackle Top Coat
- Nails Inc. Islington Crackle Top Coat
- Nails Inc. Kings Cross Crackle Top Coat
- Nails Inc. Shoreditch High Street Crackle Top Coat
- Dead Sea Spa Magik Super Hand Cream
- Oriflame Reviving Hand Treatment Mask