* Prices may differ from that shown
I got this handheld second hand and having upgrading from a Palm m505 to an HP Ipaq rx3715 and now to the HP 214. I was expecting a lot.
What I received can only be described as a sub-stranded piece of junk. The main faults this with handheld are as follows:
1. All audio from the handheld has a terrible background hiss and this ruins any web streams or music you try and play.
2. The CF card slot drains the battery so fast it's insane.
3. The Wi-Fi is terrible and totally unreliable. It won't ever connect to my unis network for longer than about 30 seconds.
4. The time it takes to turn on compared to the rx3715 is madness...These machines are meant to get faster aren't they?....not take 5 times as long to switch on.
The good point are the large screen and the fact I can use the CF card slot to view pictures taken on a SLR camera instead of having to carry a netbook and a card reader about with me. I will be looking forward to seeing if HP does offer an update to the new windows 7 rom for this handheld...but going by HPs upgrade policy for their other handhelds I highly doubt that an update will be coming out.
Overall I would avoid this handheld totally if you want to do anything media related on it. As nothing more than a notepad and photo viewer its fine.
This is a really bad product. I switched from my old iPAQ hx4700, a great machine, to this slowed down and unreliable downgrade. The stylus is impossible to align accurately if near the border of, say, the scroll bar and the virtual keyboard, which is where it has to be when scrolling down a list of names in contacts. The programmes are slow to open. Just one example: The hx4700 turns on instantaneously, but it takes the iPAQ 214 a full 9 seconds to boot up. I havent got time to go on, but the connection cabling system is bad, the machine is too bulky and heavy, alarms too quiet, all the effort has gone into trying to make interfaces pretty (without success) and no thought to how to improve this for the user. This is a rip off, trading under cover of previous successful products. Do not waste your money on this.