Product Type: Sony Tablet PCs / eBook Readers
Newest Review: ... the piano-gloss black finish on the front side, the design, while for my taste a bit "not quite there", it still is acceptable.... more
More than eBook Reader, it's a SMART reader!
Member Name: easycom
Date: 09/06/13, updated on 09/06/13 (22 review reads)
Advantages: touch-enabled, microSD slot, battery-life
Disadvantages: glossy finish, slow on rendering big files
Bought it while I was living in Spain, back in 2012. I decided to sort of go back to school again, but I wanted to avoid at all cost the hassle of buying tons of books, and then not being able to carry them around with me around Europe, so I instantly thought of getting one of these wee electronic readers. Should it be a Kindle or should it be something else, like a Kobo or a Sony? After careful consideration I ended up choosing the Sony PRS-T1 and to this day I think it was one of my best decisions and purchases.
The 6" screen eReader comes in a very thin box, about half as thin as the new Kindle packaging. Nothing fancy. A square box, the reader, a software CD, the USB connection lead and an awkwardly big all-plastic stylus. Except the piano-gloss black finish on the front side, the design, while for my taste a bit "not quite there", it still is acceptable. Easy and light to hold for a prolonged time. It is a touch eReader, which is why the PRS-T1 becomes a smart reader providing a quite nice on-line browsing experience, notepad capabilities, easy access to dictionary and note-taking. It is very much an all-in-one device that you can use for reading, writing, browsing and listening to music as well. All that, combined with amazing battery life gives you what's still one of the best eReaders on the market. After about 2 hours of charging time, you'll turn it on and will probably discover the following:
- touch enabled: quite accurate even when taking notes, regardless of the infra-red grid technology
- 2 gigs of internal memory, plus a microSD card slot for up to 32 gigs of additional storage
- easy to navigate, quite self-explanatory operating system and menus, since it's a version of dumbed-down Android
- touch gestures work well
- listen to music while reading, browsing or taking notes
- text is sharp and clear
- loads of settings available
- can copy paste directly books and music to the internal or external memory; software while available on the CD, it is not needed
- battery-life: it easily lasts 2-3 weeks even with heavy usage
- quite easy to browse the internet
- the glossy front finish reflects light and can become a nuisance, also a finger-print magnet
- the stylus does not fit anywhere, it's in the way and seems like it was not designed for the eReader
- extremely slow on rendering big sized PDF file pages
- no built-in speaker, audio works only via headphones
- booting time, which is between 30 - 90 seconds, could be faster
- based on personal experience Epub and reduced in size PDFs work the best. Do not expect it to render or even recognize Kindle books, because it won't.
- it does NOT feature a capacitive touch-screen. The touch-screen technology works the following way: it's a regular e-ink screen that refreshes after every page-turn, that has on top a layer of infra-red grid, which when it gets disrupted by any object (not just your finger or the stylus), will translate that into a position on the screen. This does not stop you from being able to zoom in and out using the 2 finger, or long-touch gesture for additional menu items we're all so used to.
Summary: A great all-in-one eReader, that will end up being used for more than just reading books.
|Ease of use:|
- Apple iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular 16 GB silver
- Apple iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular 128 GB space grey
- Apple iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular 128 GB silver
- Apple iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular 64 GB space grey
- Apple iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular 64 GB silver
- HP iPAQ Rx5730
- Apple iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi 64 GB space grey
- Apple iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi 64 GB silver
- Sony Xperia Tablet Z SGP321GB
- Panasonic Toughpad JT-B1