Product Type: Compeed in Health Misc
Newest Review: ... 15 in a pack and each one is made of a clear adhesive circle which you peel off and stick to your cold sore. I find that the best time to ... more
I wouldn't be without them!
Compeed Cold Sore Patch
Member Name: pootlegirl
Compeed Cold Sore Patch
Advantages: Help the healing process, reduce the appearance and prevent passing on the virus
Disadvantages: Not always completely invisible, not always the right size/shape
When I first started getting cold sores I used Zovirax cream and ice cubes. If I managed to get the ice cube on quick enough the sore wouldn't even erupt, but if not they would be massivly visable for about a week.....a very long and miserable week! There have even been occasions when I have taken time off work because the thought of leaving the house with a great big oozing blister on the end of my nose has been unbearable - and believe me, I do not take time off work lightly!
However, since Compeed Patches hit the market living with cold sores has been much more bearable! Compeed Patches are clear adhesive circles that you place over the coldsore. Not only do they help heal the coldsore, but they also prevent cross infection and (most wonderfully!) disguise the redness and overall unsightliness of the sore! Whilst I have heard they are pretty useless at staying stuck to areas around the mouth, in my experience they have no problem sticking to noses!! The instructions say to leave the plaster on as long as it stays stuck as the fluid that comes out of the blisters actually help heal the coldsore. Depending on where on my nose and how big the coldsore is, the same plaster can remain stuck for a couple of days, if it is a particularly big coldsore then it needs changing at least once a day.
Using Compeed Patches I find:
1) Most of my coldsores are almost inivisible after 7 days and only extremely obvious for two/three of days depending on the size of the sore.
2) If I get a patch on quick enough I can prevent the coldsore erupting altogether.
3) The patches disguise the coldsore incredibly well. Quite bad ones are almost invisible with a patch on - completely invisible if the lighting is right!! I even braved a night out recently with an ENORMOUS coldsore on the side of my nose. There were mirrors in the pub and I was amazed that even I could barely see the coldsore that I knew was there, so maybe my friends WERE telling the truth when they said they couldn't see it!
4) I do not have to worry about passing my coldsores on. Since having my children this has been a big worry to me. Children are so unpredictable in their movements that ensuring they don't make skin contact with the sore is pretty impossible. These patches keep the sore completely covered so there is no risk to anyone else.
5) The patches are not always completely invisible. I find it depends on whre the patch is and how well it has been applied. There are times (on small coldsores) when I can hardly see the patch myself and I know it's there! Worse case scenario is that the patch is obvious, but in my opinion a Compeed Patch is a far better sight than an oozing cold sore!
Each patch comes in it's own sterile strip (like a plaster). This makes it easy to carry them around with you for emergency eruptions! I always carry a couple in my purse. The set of plasters come in a slim plastic case which flips open and contains a mirror in the lid for applying patches on the go.
Compeed patches cost around £6 or £7 for 15. As I often have to cut them in half to make them fit the awkward places on my nose where the coldsores erupt a packet can last me quite a while and in my opinion is well worth the money.
Whilst I still despise my coldsores using these patches have made living with them much more bearable. Yes, I still get extremely down when I have one. I still get ice on it as quickly as possible as often this stops the eruption altogether. Recently they have been so frequent that I am on a preventative dose of Aciclovir from the Doctor and I even spent £30 on Boot's Electronic Coldsore Treatment (which I will review once I have worked out if it helps!!). But, these patches are a life saver if I don't manage to stop the eruption! I would hate to be without them.
Summary: For me these patches make living with the coldsore virus much easier.
- Tesco Loves Baby Cotton buds
- Grenade Thermo Detonator
- Boots Ovulation Test Kit
- Boots Botanics Aromatherapy Cooling Gel Lavender
- Anabox 7 Day Pill Organiser
- Gaia Coffee Slender Diet Aid
- Boots Foam Earplugs
- Balancing Blooms Calmdown
- Sainsbury's Fruit Flavoured Antacid Tablets
- Earfit Comfort Foam Earplugs