Newest Review: ... them to start taking the folic acid then, so that if they conceive the baby already has a good supply. 400mcg of folic acid can be taken... more
Fabulous folic acid
Member Name: k32x
Advantages: Beneficial to baby, easy to take
Disadvantages: None if you take the basic supplement
So in the UK it is recommended that as soon as a women finds out that she is pregnant, she should start taking 400mcg of folic acid per day. It is believed that the folic acid helps the baby to develop it's spine and nervous system, and makes conditions such as spina bifida less likely to occur. If someone is actively trying to conceive, then it is a good idea for them to start taking the folic acid then, so that if they conceive the baby already has a good supply.
400mcg of folic acid can be taken in a number of ways - you can either buy a pregnancy multivitamin which will normally have the folic acid in it along with a variety of other things, or you can take folic acid on it's own. Folic acid on it's own can be bought from most supermarkets/chemists.
For me personally, although I started taking the multivitamin, I soon changed to the folic acid supplement on it's own. The tablets are MUCH cheaper, and are also a lot smaller as they only contain one rather than many ingredients. I found these easier to swallow while suffering with morning (all day!) sickness (The folic acid can be taken at any time of day, although it's probably best to try and stick to a similar time each day). Also, a downside of the multivitamin I had originally been taking for me was that it contains Iron - while Iron is very important it also can cause problems with the Number 2's, and seeing as I was already suffering I didn't want to make the problem worse.
Overall, whichever way you choose to take it, folic acid is extremely important in pregnancy and therefore I recommend it very highly! Once you get free prescriptions due to being pregnant you could even get the Dr to prescribe them for you and not have to pay for the basic supplements.
Summary: An absolute must for pregnant women
More reviews in the field of Health Product
- Frames do not look good on everyone
- My saviour when I have a cold
- LLOYDS TENS MACHINE - not just for pregnant women
- Optrex Ear Drops - for those times you get blocked up ears
- A great form of painkiller
- Clearly weightless
- They Pick you Up.
- TRAVEL WITH EASE, WHILE TAKING THESE?
- Five hour energy is terrible
- An excellent and healthy energy boost
- Bd Micro-Fine Plus
- Bayer Microlet Coloured Lancets
- Bayer Diastix Reagent Strips
- Bayer Ascensia Contour Test Strips
- Bausch & Lomb Boston Simplus Multi-Action Solution
- PFIZER Preparation H Haemorrhoidal Ointment
- Paradise Schisandra
- Paradise Bacopa Capsules
- Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey
- Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard