Product Type: Holland and Barrett health products
Newest Review: ... think some people really can't stand it. It's very relaxing and helps you sleep. This Holland and Barrett lavender pure essential oil is go... more
Lavenders Blue, dilly dally ........
Holland and Barrett Lavender Pure Essential Oil
Member Name: thehonesttruth
Holland and Barrett Lavender Pure Essential Oil
When it comes to aromatherapy, Lavender is by far one of the most flexible oils to use , and is the one of the only oils that can be used neat on the skin without the need to use a carrier oil (the other such oil being tea tree) .
I'm pretty into my aromatherapy - I like to make my own scented salt scrubs for instance, combining different scents depending on what I need - perhaps I need calming down, or, maybe I need waking up a little bit. I also tend to mix oils in with my plain hand lotions to pep them up a bit . Whilst I have many scented oil, Lavender is, in my humble opinion, one of the few I couldn't do without !
Lavender, or Lavendula, commonly grown in the UK nowadays, is believed to have originated in the Mediterranean, and to have been introduced here by the Romans. Mentions of the herb exist from at least the last 2500 years, and it even had a couple of mentions in the bible! The Greeks and the Romans bathed in lavender scented water and it was from the Latin word "lavo" meaning "to wash" that the herb took its name.
This particular oil comes in a dark brown glass bottle . This is important, as the dark glass preserves the integrity of the oil against light. As an essential oil, rather than a scented oil, it is made of 100 natural ingredients, so this light protection is important as the oil contains no preservatives and will lose some of its beneficial qualities over time . I purchased the large sized bottle of 30ml, which cost me just under a tenner, but there is a smaller 10ml bottle size available, which I believe is a little over £3.
This oil has many benefits. Probably one of the most famous is for aiding sleep - many holistic remedies aimed at promoting a calm and peaceful nights sleep contain lavender, and a few drops sprinkled onto a pillow is recommended to help aid sleep . I personally don't like to use it in this way though, as my boyfriend complains that it makes the bed smell of old ladies!
I mostly use it on my skin - not just in the aforementioned salt scrubs and creams, but also neat to treat insect bites, sunburn, or small cuts . Lavender does have some antibacterial properties, so it is great for stopping cuts and bites becoming infected, although for larger cuts I would recommend a plaster too to stop dirt getting in . It doesn't sting on being applied to cuts, which is always nice! Sometimes I mix it with tea tree for a double dose of disinfecting!
I also like to use this oil in a steam inhalation when I have a blocked or bunged up nose . It works wonders, both at clearing my nose and at relaxing me at the same time .
My absolute favourite way to use it, when I have time, is to make Lavender Bath Bombs - either for myself or as small inexpensive gifts for friends . Below is the recipe I use for making them.
Lavender Bath Bomb
* 1 cup of baking soda
* 1/3 cup of lemon juice
* A few drops of lavender essential oil
* Dried lavender flowers - you can leave these whole, or crush if you prefer.
* A little cooking oil (a spray oil is brilliant for this_
* A muffin tin, or some kind of small mould
1. Mix the flowers, oil, and baking soda into a bowl. Spray with water until the mixture keeps its shape if held tightly and then released.
2. Add the lemon juice and stir well again.
3. Grease the muffin tin or mould, either by brushing on cooking oil or using oil sprayer, and then fill tightly with the mixture.
4. Leave it to set for about 5 minutes, then remove from mould and leave on a dish towel to dry for 24 hours.
5. Once it has set for 24 hours, it should be solid and dry. It can now be used, or packed and stored. Store away from moisture.
This oil is good quality and easy to use, with a good bottle designed to protect the integrity of the oil . It is perhaps a little pricey, but then good quality oils are, and I think overall the price is fair . Recommended .
More reviews in the field of Health Product
- Cheap, accurate and good-looking
- A great way to get rid of your symptoms
- Ridiculous name but it works
- Kalms sleep to soothe you to sleep
- Grow Your Own Skincare Products
- Marymoose gets paracetomol from her local shop!
- The place to go for your eye sight needs
- Very impressed
- Amazing technology at a vunerable time.
- Making me a well woman
- BioMedX Research Raspberry Ketone Advanced Slimming Complex
- BioMedX Research Raspberry Ketone Ultra Pure Phenolic Compound
- BleachBright Forever Bright Refill Kit
- Bricker Labs Optiflow
- BioMedX Research Hcg Diet Support
- Biovea Reduced Glutathione 250mg 60 Tablets
- Biovea Psyllium 336g
- Biovea Probiotic Complex & Bcaa
- Biovea Pomegranate & Resveratrol Anti-Ageing
- Biovea Peppermint Oil