Product Type: Canesten in Health Therapies / Treatments
Newest Review: ... the pessary or have redness, burning pain, itching or swelling, stop using the Canesten Pessaries and inform your doctor right away. So, ... more
A sigh of relief!
Member Name: kiss_me2070
Advantages: Easy to use, Relives symptoms, Clears up infections quickly.
It's not always easy writing review's about your personal problems or things which may happen to your body. Whilst this review isn't the most exciting to read I hope other's may find it useful.
Thrush is not a sexually transmitted infection and can affect both woman and men. Thrush is a Yeast infection which occurs in the vagina and can come with a number of symptoms. It is harmless but can be re-ccurent and can come back at anytime. Thrush is caused when the natural balance in the vagina is upset, this can be caused by a number of reasons including hormone changes and by taking antibiotics. I'm 26yrs old and have never had thrush before until now. I didn't even know I had thrush until I had been to to the doctors for my smear test. I didn't have any symptoms so was surprised when they told me I had thrush. My thrush was more internal rather than external so I didn't suffer with any itchy or soreness. Not everyone will experience the same symptoms but some of these may include the following:
* Itching & soreness around the Vagina
* Pain During Sex
* Stinging sensation when urinating
* Vaginal discharge which may be odourless, thick, thin or watery.
If you have severe thrush you may experience different/worse symptons such as:
* Redness of the vagina and vulva
* Cracked skin around the entrance of the vagina
* Swelling of the vagina & vulva
* Sores (This is rare, but could also be the sign of a different infection.
If you are not sure whether you have thrush, get yourself checked with your doctor as some of the symptons are similar to Sexually Transmitted infections.
Whilst thrush isn't a sexually transmitted diesease and your symptoms may not be that bad it's still not nice to have and does need to be treated. In some cases Thrush will clear up by itself, how-ever in other cases you may need to see your doctor in order to get treatment for the problem. If you have had thrush before, you can just go into the pharmacy and ask for the medicine over the counter, without a prescription.
The pessary is quite pricey and cost me about £8.99. Boots do sell another brand, how-ever I wanted the Canesten one, as I have used a un-branded one before and found it not to be as effective. The applicator and pessary tablet come in a sealed box, which also includes a leaf-let, this gives you information about how to use the product and if you should seek medical advise before using it. As with all medicines, it's well worth reading the leaflet and all the other information on the box. The applicator comes in a seperate box which is inside the main box. The pessary is sealed in a box covered with a foil top as with most tablets. This is best used at night just before bed, this gives the pessary time to work.
***USING THE PRODUCT***
Ensure you wash your hands before using the product, take the applicator and the pessary out from thei packaging. You will need to squeeze the end of the applicator to push the tablet inside the applicator, this should go into the applicator about half way. The tablet isn't very big and is flat with a rounded end and is white in colour. Simply insert the applicator and using the plunger push up to release the tablet. Make sure you throw the applicator away (non-flushable)and wash your hands again. You can't feel the pessary inside you and it didn't cause me any discomfort. As with all medicines this can have side effects, how-ever these are rare and I didn't experience any of these. The pessary gets to work straight away, exactly where the problem is and symptoms should dissapear within 2-3 times. The day after inserting the pessary you may find that you get chalky marks on your under-wear and it's advised in the leaflet that some people like wear a sanitary towel to avoid the marks and discharge it may cause.
***HOW TO PREVENT THRUSH FROM COMING BACK***
* The conditions of the vagina can be changed by using perfumed/strong soaps and other products. Washing with water and unscented soaps can help keep the vagina balanced.
* Wear cotton knickers and avoid wearing tight jeans too often. This is to prevent to vagina being constantly moist, warm and airless.
* Anti-biotics can kill the harmless bacteria in the vagine which helps to defend against Candida (which is what can cause Thrush.)
***THINGS TO REMEMBER***
* It's not advised to use this product when you are on your period.
* If you symptoms have not cleared up within 3 days, then you may need to visit the doctor.
* Thrush can be passed onto sexual partners so avoid having sex during this time.
* Read all the information in the leaflet
* If you find thrush re-occuring visit your doctor
* If you have not had thrush before see your doctor and they can help decide the best medicine for you. This may be cream, a pessary or an oral tablet.
(review may also appear on ciao)
Summary: A pessary for the treatment of thrush!
- Boots Bite and Sting Hydrocortisone Cream
- Sominex Herbal Tablets
- Icy Hot (Maximum Strength) Medicated Pain Relief Spray
- Icy Hot (Maximum Strength) Pain Relieving Liquid
- Icy Hot Back Pain Patch (Large)
- Icy Hot (Maximum Strength) Medicated Sleeve (Ankles, Elbows & Knees) Large 3 Sle ...
- Canesten AF Athletes Foot Cream
- Canesten Combi Pessary and Cream